GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 03:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Should i take another CAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.87
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Should i take another CAT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 20:20
Hello Everyone!
I started my preparation on June 10, 2018 and straight away started practicing from OG 18 (that was a big mistake). After one month on Jul 10, 2018, I gave my first GMAT prep mock test to check my starting point and i got 490 (Q43, V16). I knew i am good in quant and have to do a lot if work in verbal. I decided to prepare for each section separately, starting from Quant then verbal. I started preparing for quant from Manhattan guides. After about 40 days of preparation i reset that previously taken official mock test and attempted only quant section to check my score on Aug 17, 2018 and i got Q49. Then i moved to verbal part (most promising section). After few days on Aug 21, 2018 i attempted same mock for verbal section only and got V19. Then i stated preparing for verbal from Manhattan guides and powerscore CR. It took me around a month to read all these books and to understand basic concepts. On Oct 7, 2018 I decided to write another CAT to check my overall ability in all sections. This time i gave Veritas free CAT and got 590 with the split of Q46 and V26. This score got me down. I thought i am around 650 level.
Should i take another GMAT prep official free CAT now that i am left with to check my actual ability level or should i continue practicing for another month and take this official at the end?
Expert advice required.
Thank You!
sayantanc2k GMATNinja ydmuley daagh

Eric Thomas, "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."
Retired Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Should i take another CAT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 09:00
HasnainAfxal wrote:
Hello Everyone!
I started my preparation on June 10, 2018 and straight away started practicing from OG 18 (that was a big mistake). After one month on Jul 10, 2018, I gave my first GMAT prep mock test to check my starting point and i got 490 (Q43, V16). I knew i am good in quant and have to do a lot if work in verbal. I decided to prepare for each section separately, starting from Quant then verbal. I started preparing for quant from Manhattan guides. After about 40 days of preparation i reset that previously taken official mock test and attempted only quant section to check my score on Aug 17, 2018 and i got Q49. Then i moved to verbal part (most promising section). After few days on Aug 21, 2018 i attempted same mock for verbal section only and got V19. Then i stated preparing for verbal from Manhattan guides and powerscore CR. It took me around a month to read all these books and to understand basic concepts. On Oct 7, 2018 I decided to write another CAT to check my overall ability in all sections. This time i gave Veritas free CAT and got 590 with the split of Q46 and V26. This score got me down. I thought i am around 650 level.
Should i take another GMAT prep official free CAT now that i am left with to check my actual ability level or should i continue practicing for another month and take this official at the end?
Expert advice required.
Thank You!

Hi HasnainAfxal,

IMO Veritas CATs are not that easy. So Looks like you have improved with prep. It would be wise to review this CAT thoroughly and work on the finidings. Once done reviewing and practicing the weak areas, this time take GMATPrep CAT-2. This should give you the right pitcture.

when you really want to guage where do you stand take GMATPrep. There are 4 other CATs from GMAC (exam Pack- 1&2, both has two CATs)but they are paid ones. but you must buy them as they will give you the good questions to have your hands on.

Now after this CAT, review and practice again and take next couple of CATs from Veritas or Manhattan and then take one GMATPrep. Keep mocks in this rotaion at the interval of one week. So you see, that you have spread out the official mocks throughout your prep rather than wasting them again in one go.

To improve in verbal, Use Learn from each official question as much as you can. Manhattan's verbal questions are also great for prep.

For Quant, follow Bunuel and practice gmat club test (suffiecient for quant prep). For concepts in quant download gmatclub quant guide (free).

If you have any specific question then please post. happy to help.
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 09:13
HKD1710 wrote:
HasnainAfxal wrote:
Hello Everyone!
Expert advice required.
Thank You!

Hi HasnainAfxal,

IMO Veritas CATs are not that easy. So Looks like you have improved with prep. It would be wise to review this CAT thoroughly and work on the finidings. Once done reviewing and practicing the weak areas, this time take GMATPrep CAT-2. This should give you the right pitcture.

when you really want to guage where do you stand take GMATPrep. There are 4 other CATs from GMAC (exam Pack- 1&2, both has two CATs)but they are paid ones. but you must buy them as they will give you the good questions to have your hands on.

Now after this CAT, review and practice again and take next couple of CATs from Veritas or Manhattan and then take one GMATPrep. Keep mocks in this rotaion at the interval of one week. So you see, that you have spread out the official mocks throughout your prep rather than wasting them again in one go.

To improve in verbal, Use Learn from each official question as much as you can. Manhattan's verbal questions are also great for prep.

For Quant, follow Bunuel and practice gmat club test (suffiecient for quant prep). For concepts in quant download gmatclub quant guide (free).

If you have any specific question then please post. happy to help.

Hey HKD1710 !
Thank you so much for your valuable response :)
I want to ask one more thing, Is it worth taking verbal GMAT club CATs along side Quant CATs for few weeks before taking GMATPrep CAT2? I mean would it be advantageous to take one verbal GMAT club CAT after one or two days and in between get my hands on learning more concepts. Does it all make sense to achieve my target score of 720+ in about 45 days?
Would highly appreciate your efforts :)

Eric Thomas, "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."
Retired Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 09:33
Yes HasnainAfxal

I have taken Gmatclub verbal cats. I liked interface and scoring. i felt worth taking them for practice and stay in pace. But better you take FULL CATs (both quant and verbal). we need to become very comfortable sitting for 3+ hours for test.

Keep taking mocks but DO NOT DRAIN OUT YOURSELF. Take CATs at an interval for 4-7 days. Too many CATs are really an overkill. My strategy is to practice less but learn more. If you need to improve in verbal, it is better to go through ALL verbal official questions out there.

Now there are so so many of them that you will not run out of them. The best part is that you will learn how does GMAC layers questions with complexity while testing the same concept.

here are all the official resources:
OG-10/12/13/15/16/18/19
Gmatprep CAT-1&2
Exam pack-1 & 2
Question pack (404 questions noth quant and verbal).

I think this post i made earlier will help you:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/need-guidanc ... l#p1972369

Practice-quizz-review-CAT-review-practice - this is how i like to prep :)
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 19:11
Hi HasnainAfxal,

When you take practice tests from companies other than GMAC, you may find some variation in algorithms used and thus variations in your score. Since you saw a dramatic drop in your most recent Veritas test score, it may be a good idea to take an official GMAC practice exam to get a more updated baseline score. That being said, make sure you take a “fresh test” (either from exam pack 1 or 2) and take the test under realistic conditions, meaning complete the ENTIRE exam as you would on test day, OK?

Once you take the exam, feel free to report back here, and I can provide some further advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 20:18
HKD1710 wrote:
Yes HasnainAfxal

I have taken Gmatclub verbal cats. I liked interface and scoring. i felt worth taking them for practice and stay in pace. But better you take FULL CATs (both quant and verbal). we need to become very comfortable sitting for 3+ hours for test.

Keep taking mocks but DO NOT DRAIN OUT YOURSELF. Take CATs at an interval for 4-7 days. Too many CATs are really an overkill. My strategy is to practice less but learn more. If you need to improve in verbal, it is better to go through ALL verbal official questions out there.

Now there are so so many of them that you will not run out of them. The best part is that you will learn how does GMAC layers questions with complexity while testing the same concept.

here are all the official resources:
OG-10/12/13/15/16/18/19
Gmatprep CAT-1&2
Exam pack-1 & 2
Question pack (404 questions noth quant and verbal).

I think this post i made earlier will help you:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/need-guidanc ... l#p1972369

Practice-quizz-review-CAT-review-practice - this is how i like to prep :)

Again thanks a lot :)
will keep you updated of my performance :)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Should i take another CAT?   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2018, 20:18

Should i take another CAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep