Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Signing Bonuses [#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
I know someone who signed with their internship employer and got it immediately but people who recruited during the fall got them after joining.

So when exactly did they get the money? Before they started their second year?

RF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Mine was spread out over 6 months AFTER I started the job.

Relocation bonus was given in a lump sum immediately within a week.

There was no money to tie you over between graduation and starting date but I am not working at the same company where I interned. I got my offer 7 months before graduation.
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks cbreeze!

I'm really curious how the bonus-before-you-start works. I've always thought companies were reluctant to give bonuses before starting because of the hassle of getting the money back if the person pulls out.

RF
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
refurb wrote:
Thanks cbreeze!

I'm really curious how the bonus-before-you-start works. I've always thought companies were reluctant to give bonuses before starting because of the hassle of getting the money back if the person pulls out.

RF

Basically you sign a contract, if you bail I am sure you would royally screw yourself.
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
refurb wrote:
Thanks cbreeze!

RF

Basically you sign a contract, if you bail I am sure you would royally screw yourself.

Either way, it's nice to know that it's an option. A signing bonus after your internship would sure help in reducing the loans you take out in your 2nd year.

RF
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
refurb wrote:

Either way, it's nice to know that it's an option. A signing bonus after your internship would sure help in reducing the loans you take out in your 2nd year.[/quote]
I dont know how much I will take this year, I have the option to max out if I want but I saved enough this summer to not need anything beyond my share of tuition after scholarships. My employer doesnt give out money until you show up, and I dont think you would be successful in negotiating that point. Then again maybe I will take out a bunch and just live life up this year...mortgage your future earnings for some amazing fun now.
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
I dont know how much I will take this year, I have the option to max out if I want but I saved enough this summer to not need anything beyond my share of tuition after scholarships. My employer doesnt give out money until you show up, and I dont think you would be successful in negotiating that point. Then again maybe I will take out a bunch and just live life up this year...mortgage your future earnings for some amazing fun now.

Considering they give you $20K or so for living expenses, you could REALLY live it up.

RF
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
refurb wrote:
Either way, it's nice to know that it's an option. A signing bonus after your internship would sure help in reducing the loans you take out in your 2nd year.

I received a signing bonus before. I remember that about half of the bonus amount went to the IRS.....
Current Student
Send PM
nink wrote:
refurb wrote:

I received a signing bonus before. I remember that about half of the bonus amount went to the IRS.....

Yeah, i think the IRS treats it as a gift and taxes it at the highest rate (you'll get some back depending on your final income for the year).

Otherwise, the gov't treats it as actual income for the year. In other words, if you $4000 biweekly paycheck puts you in the 20% bracket, the $20K signing bonus will automatically be taxed in the highest bracket.

The cool thing is, if you can pull a signing bonus after your internship, you'll likely pay a LOT less tax on it, since your only income for the year is your internship (~$24K over 3 months) and the bonus!

RF
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92914 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts