GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 20:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

SIM Essay 2018

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: HSG SIM"20
GMAT ToolKit User
SIM Essay 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 14:14
Hi everybody,

A few days ago the essay topic for the St.Gallen SIM Program admission has been announced.

"Today humanity is facing unprecedented challenges on a global scale. In your view, are we asking the right questions, are we focusing on the relevant root problems- or have we so far missed out to address the key drivers of our progress and wellbeing? Please focus your critical reflections on the one most fundamental key driver and argue thoroughly."

Any ideas/ approaches on this year topic?
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: HSG SIM"20 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V49
GPA: 3.5
Re: SIM Essay 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 05:21
Hey :)

I suppose it's a bit late to answer now, but here are my thoughts:
They make the question deliberately broad, and how you choose to adress it is also part of the answer.
I picked a topic where I feel that I could express some personal views about social justice in a global context.

Did you apply in R1?
I applied and am waiting anxiously for the admissions results which will come some time this week.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 05:39
Thank you for your reply EMN94.

Good luck to your application.

Actually I haven't applied yet, waiting for my GMAT exams.

Do you mind sharing your profile (anonymously of course) as a candidate. I really want to know the student that SIM programme attracts

Sent from my LEX820 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 05:57
Thank you :)
Sure :) Anything to distract me from checking my emails, haha.

Nationality: Swiss/Swedish
Gender: female (might make a difference as they try to go for 50/50)
GPA: 5.1/6 (Bachelor in Business Admin. in St Gallen)
GMAT: 760 (high verbal, ok quant)
Work experience: currently doing an internship at a Big 4
Extracurriculars: Was president of a student-driven non-profit for a year, board member of a consulting club (organizing events for students interested in consulting) for 1.5 years, and board member of the LGBTI+ association for a year. I was also a volunteer with the aforementioned non-profit twice, once in Asia and once in Africa.

My grades are quite good but not mind-blowing, but I think my high GMAT score makes up for it. I think I get quite high points for extracurriculars, and the fact that I have some work experience is likely a plus as well. Overall I think I have relatively good chances, but I have no way of judging how the interview went, because it's such a strange format.

What is your background like?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
SIM Essay 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 06:22
Congratulations on your GMAT score. That is impressing. :thumbup:

Overall I believe that your GMAT score along with the Big 4 experience most likely will secure you a spot in the SIM class. The only way that you can mess it up is by a tremendously bad :lol: interview.

What was the interview like this year?

My profile:

Nationality: Greek
GPA: 8.01/10 (It is like 5-6 % of class, I don't know the exact conversion - Bachelor in Business Admin. AUEB)
GMAT: Pending
Work experience: currently doing my military service - 1 year experience as Strategy & Operations consultant at a BIG 4
Extracurriculars:
- Volunteer Consulant at a well known organization - two engagements in Africa & Asia
- Member of Parliament of Youth
- Course Mentor for an online course of a well known US University
- Researcher with scholarship from a European Research Center
- Student Representative for Greece in a European initiative by European Commission in Rome
- Pro bono consultant of an agriculture startup
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 06:33
Thank you :-) I was so nervous during the exam, I wasn't sure I'd even broken 700. So I was really positively surprised myself, haha.

I think your profile looks promising as well. From what I've been told, they look for well-rounded people, and it seems like your profile checks a lot of different boxes.

The interview was I think quite similar to last year. I only got 6 questions or so, and though I dont remember them exactly, there was one like "what would be the biggest benefit to you of an international class/how do you view being part of an international program", one like "name three different views on [miscellaneous social issue]", and a few completely random and seemingly shallow ones. I suppose it's an efficient way of getting a look at the candidate unfiltered. I found it a bit bewildering, but that's nothing new.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 01:46
Thank you for your feedback and insights.

Let hope that we will both be at St.Gallen next year :grin:
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 01:56
Consider joining this thread for more info on SIM application.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all- ... 55798.html
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 01:18
Hi. I'm planning to apply to St. Gallen in Q1 2019. I have not taken the GMAT yet. However, can anyone kindly evaluate the profile that I have right now?

24 y/o. BS Business Administration graduate. Top University in the Philippines. So-so grades.
Executive member of a Finance Organization. We basically picked up this organization from the ground, and made it the breakthrough organization of the year. I won the best business event, as well.
2-mo Auditing internship experience with Johnson and Johnson Philippines.
Right after grad, I came to Qatar to work in one of the country's largest corporations. This exp is very international. I'm working with close to 10 different nationalities everyday.
I'm part of the CFO team - business partner (working closely with 2 businesses plus maybe 3 others adhoc, figures out what the GM needs and delivers those, basically creating reports so the GMs will know what to focus on, budgeting, forecasting, m&a, etc..). I've been at it for close to 3 years now.
IELTS - i haven't taken it yet but i'm confident i can score 8+.
GMAT - I haven't taken it yet. I'm not a very strong test taker. I'm assuming average score.
Passed the CFA Level 1.

Hobbies:
I'm a solo female traveler. I also dab on the couchsurfing community (interacting with strangers and fellow travelers while out and about in a foreign country). I like the budget traveling. I prefer the backpacking type vs the luxurious journey.
I read TONS of different genre (young adult, non-fiction, classic, you name it).
I play chess for fun.
I like makeup.

What do you think? :(
Re: SIM Essay 2018 &nbs [#permalink] 27 Jun 2018, 01:18

SIM Essay 2018

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mihir0710

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap