Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [15]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [4]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Six people are to be seated at a round table with seats arranged at eq [#permalink]
nick1816
Can anyone please confirm if this method is correct.
Among 6 people sitting in a circle, Bob can sit on 6 places*Andy can sit on 4 places(as one place is taken by Bob and another one is opposite, so 4)*rest 4 people

6*4*4 = 96.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: Six people are to be seated at a round table with seats arranged at eq [#permalink]
Kudos
MBADream786 wrote:
nick1816
Among 6 people sitting in a circle, Bob can sit on 6 places*Andy can sit on 4 places(as one place is taken by Bob and another one is opposite, so 4)*rest 4 people

6*4*4 = 96.

I doubt this approach is correct, because rest of the 4 people will have 4! Ways to sit. Also in the first place wherever Andy it's the same choice so there is only one choice for Andy to sit. So one choice for Andy and four choices for Bob and remaining 4 people 24 choices so answer is 4×24=96

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6295 [2]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
Kudos
Bob can sit on 6 places*Andy can sit on 4 places(as one place is taken by Bob and another one is opposite, so 4).

You were correct upto this point. The remaining 4 people can be arranged in 4! ways. Since the positions or the chairs are indistinguishable (not marked), we have to consider only those permutations in which their(people) relative order changes. Hence, you have to divide by 6. \((\frac{6*4*4!}{6})\). You will get 4*4! = 96.

MBADream786 wrote:
nick1816

6*4*4 = 96.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Is there a way to arrive at the solution using the Total Arrangements - Disallowed Arrangements method?

Total arrangements = 5! = 120
Ways in which Andy and Bob can sit opposite to each other = 2 * 4! (4! is the number of ways other 4 people can interchange seats)
I was multiplying by 2 since I was considering that Andy and Bob could interchange places too and still be opposite to each other.

So I ended up getting, disallowed arrangements = 2 * 4! = 48.
Therefore allowable arrangements = 120 - 48 = 72 which is incorrect.

VeritasKarishma, is it not required to consider Andy and Bob switching places between themselves? Since the arrangement of other 4 friends already accomplishes the different cases?

In that case, the number of disallowed arrangements will be 4! = 24, so number of allowed arrangements = 120 - 24 = 96 ways.
Thanks for your help !
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
aritrar4 wrote:
Is there a way to arrive at the solution using the Total Arrangements - Disallowed Arrangements method?

Total arrangements = 5! = 120
Ways in which Andy and Bob can sit opposite to each other = 2 * 4! (4! is the number of ways other 4 people can interchange seats)
I was multiplying by 2 since I was considering that Andy and Bob could interchange places too and still be opposite to each other.

So I ended up getting, disallowed arrangements = 2 * 4! = 48.
Therefore allowable arrangements = 120 - 48 = 72 which is incorrect.

VeritasKarishma, is it not required to consider Andy and Bob switching places between themselves? Since the arrangement of other 4 friends already accomplishes the different cases?

In that case, the number of disallowed arrangements will be 4! = 24, so number of allowed arrangements = 120 - 24 = 96 ways.
Thanks for your help !

Say we need Andy and Bob to sit opposite to each other.

Initially there are 6 identical seats so Andy sits anywhere. Now all seats are distinct. How many options are there for Bob to sit out of the rest 5? Only one seat. Switching will not give a different arrangement because relative to each other, they both will still be in the same positions.
The other 4 can sit in 4! ways. Hence, Andy and Bob can sit opposite to each other in 4! ways.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9240 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM