GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 11:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

SMU Cox vs. UC Irvine- Merage School

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.16
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
SMU Cox vs. UC Irvine- Merage School [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 12:03
Hi guys,

Please provide your views in selecting the right school. I am interested in tech related roles post-MBA- particularly product management.

1. SMU Cox-
Pros- 30k scholarship, Forte Fellowship, Business Analytics Concentration- STEM certified, Has good experiential learning
Cons- Rank slightly below UC Irvine, Mostly a local school- Majority of the students get jobs in Dallas

2. UC Irvine-
Pros- 25k scholarship, based in California- more tech jobs, better weather, better rank than SMU Cox
Cons- 50% international students(from 16 countries), have to pay more taxes in California(after MBA)

I have to pay the first installment for SMU Cox by coming Monday, if I select that!

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: SMU Cox vs. UC Irvine- Merage School [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 18:02
Tough choice...congrats on these solid options. I am leaning towards UCI here. I think given your desire for product management roles CA presents better opportunity for placement. I would confirm this by taking a look at the employment report for both schools and reviewing placement statistics

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 12:08
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
Tough choice...congrats on these solid options. I am leaning towards UCI here. I think given your desire for product management roles CA presents better opportunity for placement. I would confirm this by taking a look at the employment report for both schools and reviewing placement statistics

Thank you for your suggestion...I asked for the latest employment stats from the Cox adcom and at least 25% of international students have gone for tech related roles post-MBA. The number is 25% overall(both domestic and international) students.

I have now decided to speak to current students to get their views on the choice. Let's see!
BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GRE 1: 323 Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 14:41
bbhawini wrote:
Hi guys,

Please provide your views in selecting the right school. I am interested in tech related roles post-MBA- particularly product management.

1. SMU Cox-
Pros- 30k scholarship, Forte Fellowship, Business Analytics Concentration- STEM certified, Has good experiential learning
Cons- Rank slightly below UC Irvine, Mostly a local school- Majority of the students get jobs in Dallas

2. UC Irvine-
Pros- 25k scholarship, based in California- more tech jobs, better weather, better rank than SMU Cox
Cons- 50% international students(from 16 countries), have to pay more taxes in California(after MBA)

I have to pay the first installment for SMU Cox by coming Monday, if I select that!

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

Hey,

SMU Cox's MBA is NO longer STEM certified!
Here is what the school had to say about that -->

Quote:
Good afternoon

Currently the Cox MBA program's ITOM focus is indeed a STEM program. This is the final year that the program will be STEM eligible. Moving forward for the recruiting class of 2018 (graduation 2020) the program will revert to standard OPT status.

The SMU Cox MBA Admissions Team

Make an informed decision.
If I were you I would have reapplied to other schools.
If you wish to enroll -> I would still pick Cox here.
Merage has a lot of internationals and the cost of living coupled with the tuition fee makes Merage prohibitive choice.
Also, if a school does not attract domestic students -> That clearly shows its tanking reputation.

I really wish you reapply/ get into other schools. Being an international(especially an Indian) with the crazy conversion rates -> Give MBA application all you have.

All the best
Stone

MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 18:28
Hi Stone,
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, reapplying is not an option for me. I have to select between these 2 unless one of the other schools I applied to has a positive result. I am also inclined towards Cox but my friends who are currently doing MBA in US recommend Irvine because it is in California!

Also, I had seen your post regarding STEM status for Cox and I asked about this to my interviewer. Earlier she had told that there are no STEM certified MBA courses, but the latest mail from her is as below:

I have some good news – the Provost has just given approval for our MBA concentration in Business Analytics (which is a part of the ITOM concentration) to be STEM certified. We are still working on the details in terms of how many courses are required and which classes will be part of that, but it has been approved. As we know more information, I’m happy to share that with you; but for now I am able to confirm that the Business Analytics concentration, within ITOM, will be STEM certified.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 20:35
bbhawini wrote:
Hi Stone,
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, reapplying is not an option for me. I have to select between these 2 unless one of the other schools I applied to has a positive result. I am also inclined towards Cox but my friends who are currently doing MBA in US recommend Irvine because it is in California!

Also, I had seen your post regarding STEM status for Cox and I asked about this to my interviewer. Earlier she had told that there are no STEM certified MBA courses, but the latest mail from her is as below:

I have some good news – the Provost has just given approval for our MBA concentration in Business Analytics (which is a part of the ITOM concentration) to be STEM certified. We are still working on the details in terms of how many courses are required and which classes will be part of that, but it has been approved. As we know more information, I’m happy to share that with you; but for now I am able to confirm that the Business Analytics concentration, within ITOM, will be STEM certified.

Thank you so much for the information. Really appreciate it.
I am gonna suggest that if you cannot wait an year -> CHOOSE SMU!!!

My 2 cents (reasons for picking SMU)->
1) The biggest hunch -> STEM MBA. You will have 12+24 = 36 months of Visa extension. That is 3 Years you can work in the US vs only 1 year if you go to California.
Also those 3 years would give you multiple shots at the H1b application. YYHUGE Advantage.
Currently only a handful of schools have STEM accredited MBA.
I have had a chat with many alums from STEM and Non STEM programs.This STEM accreditation really matters.
You are spending a crap load(crazy exchange rate) of money and 3 years would at-least guarantee a partial (if not more) debt repayment.

2) Tuition expenses + Cost of living => Irvine isn't cheap. Its pretty darn expensive. Dallas is better..

3) Pedigree of the institution and ROI i.e Post MBA Recruiting -> Now this is the another big reason why I would suggest SMU. Look, I am no fan of Cox. But Merage Sucks in recruiting. And you have to face a very tough competition from other league 1 schools such as UCLA and USC if you choose Merage.
Merage has a shit ton of International students. Infact the most at any MBA program (mostly Asians). If a school cannot even attract the local talent that tells you something is wrong.
The employment reports(check there website) are bad too...

SMU won't attract the Big Tier 1 corporations at the campus either. But Dallas currently has an excellent job market.

4) Culture -> This is an individualistic preference. Some people like Cali. Some don't
Some like Texas. Some don't.
Read this post very very carefully. Its very long but a fun read about the culture of Texas-> https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017 ... e-is-texas

All said and done, If I were you I would have chosen SMU for the above 4 points.

But wait a second. I am gonna suggest you something. Try and leverage the Irvine Admit to get additional money from SMU. It is possible they might give you some more money. The worst thing that can happen is they will say no. But you have to ask. I mean really.

Incase if you have any questions I will be happy to answer.

All the best
Stone Cold

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 11:14
stonecold wrote:
bbhawini wrote:
Hi Stone,

1) The biggest hunch -> STEM MBA. You will have 12+24 = 36 months of Visa extension. That is 3 Years you can work in the US vs only 1 year if you go to California.
Also those 3 years would give you multiple shots at the H1b application. YYHUGE Advantage.
I have had a chat with many alums from STEM and Non STEM programs.This STEM accreditation really matters.
You are spending a crap load(crazy exchange rate) of money and 3 years would at-least guarantee a partial (if not more) debt repayment.

2) Tuition expenses + Cost of living => Irvine isn't cheap. Its pretty darn expensive. Dallas is better..

3) Pedigree of the institution and ROI i.e Post MBA Recruiting -> Now this is the another big reason why I would suggest SMU. Look, I am no fan of Cox. But Merage Sucks in recruiting. And you have to face a very tough competition from other league 1 schools such as UCLA and USC if you choose Merage.
Merage has a shit ton of International students. Infact the most at any MBA program (mostly Asians). If a school cannot even attract the local talent that tells you something is wrong.

SMU won't attract the Big Tier 1 corporations at the campus either. But Dallas currently has an excellent job market.

4) Culture -> This is an individualistic preference. Some people like Cali. Some don't
Read this post very very carefully. Its very long but a fun read about the culture of Texas-> https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017 ... e-is-texas

All said and done, If I were you I would have chosen SMU for the above 4 points.

But wait a second. I am gonna suggest you something. Try and leverage the Irvine Admit to get additional money from SMU. It is possible they might give you some more money. The worst thing that can happen is they will say no. But you have to ask. I mean really.

All the best
Stone Cold

Hey,

I spoke to the current students and alumnus of both the schools, discussing the above points.

Merage Current Student:
As per him, there is a good placement for product management and technology related roles in general from Merage. There is absolutely no changes in the job market pre and post Trump. Irvine is expensive than Dallas but all 2nd year students either have teaching assistant-ship or part-time jobs at their placed companies and the money earned takes care of living and food. Also, I asked him about the competition from higher-ranked school in the area and he mentioned that the companies visiting Marshall and UCLA visits Irvine as well, since it is close by. So, it actually is an advantage! Number of hired students are obviously fewer because class size itself is small.

Cox Adcom/alumnus/current student: I got to know from the adcom that they now admit very less international students because of policy changes in the US and the current 2nd year has only 8 international students, out of which 4 are placed. The current student(Chinese) only knew how many other Chinese students are there and had no idea about other internationals! And the alumnus directly suggested me that California would provide a better employment opportunities. She also told that the job market in Dallas is not good and that only American Airlines and Toyota sponsors H1B visas.

For me the biggest red flag for Cox was drastic reduction in the number of internationals at Cox- from 28 to 8.

So, all said and done- I selected UC Irvine based on the above conversations. I, however, thank you for providing me the points that you mentioned. They helped me to get direct answers.
BSchool Forum Moderator
D
SMU Cox vs. UC Irvine- Merage School [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 11:31
bbhawini wrote:
stonecold wrote:
bbhawini wrote:
Hi Stone,

All the best
Stone Cold

Hey,

I spoke to the current students and alumnus of both the schools, discussing the above points.

Merage Current Student:
As per him, there is a good placement for product management and technology related roles in general from Merage. There is absolutely no changes in the job market pre and post Trump. Irvine is expensive than Dallas but all 2nd year students either have teaching assistant-ship or part-time jobs at their placed companies and the money earned takes care of living and food. Also, I asked him about the competition from higher-ranked school in the area and he mentioned that the companies visiting Marshall and UCLA visits Irvine as well, since it is close by. So, it actually is an advantage! Number of hired students are obviously fewer because class size itself is small.

Cox Adcom/alumnus/current student: I got to know from the adcom that they now admit very less international students because of policy changes in the US and the current 2nd year has only 8 international students, out of which 4 are placed. The current student(Chinese) only knew how many other Chinese students are there and had no idea about other internationals! And the alumnus directly suggested me that California would provide a better employment opportunities. She also told that the job market in Dallas is not good and that only American Airlines and Toyota sponsors H1B visas.

For me the biggest red flag for Cox was drastic reduction in the number of internationals at Cox- from 28 to 8.

So, all said and done- I selected UC Irvine based on the above conversations. I, however, thank you for providing me the points that you mentioned. They helped me to get direct answers.

Thank you for providing your detailed insights. I might not agree with them but I do respect your decision and your commitment to getting to know the schools you want to go to. This might also help future applicants in terms of what they need to do after securing an admit.

All the best. Have a great time in Irvine :angel: :thumbup:

SMU Cox vs. UC Irvine- Merage School   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2018, 11:31

SMU Cox vs. UC Irvine- Merage School

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: teleste, Wilch, jessepinkman

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap