GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Mar 2019, 07:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

So, What Happened?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
So, What Happened?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 21:29

Reflecting on my B-School Experience

- Jan 9th, 2019
My second-semester classes next week and I am tired of case-prep, so I thought of getting back on the forums and do a little bit of documentation on how this year has been. For most of you regulars on the forum and those who just joined, I got admitted to Ross last year and it has been a rollercoaster since then. In the middle of classes, social life, lack of sleep and endless coffees, I found myself happy, sad, happy and depressed in a strange cycle. Sometimes it is easy to forger that this is a 2-year bubble and the real world awaits after this weird transitionary phase that is a business school. But I am getting ahead of myself. Let's put a structure to it (my MBA2 casing peer coaches would be proud!)

The beginning is the hardest

Namecards are saviors! The sheer number of faces you see at the beginning of business school is probably the most overwhelming experience in school. I would casually list out just 40% of the orientation and first 2-3 weeks events to get you up to speed.

1. 2-day international orientation.
2. 3-day full school orientation.
3. 2-day Business Impact Challenge that kept us at the Ross building for 20+ hours.
4. At least 5 social events.
5. Signing up and deciding among 50+ clubs.
6. Applying to venture funds, leadership positions in clubs, social clubs and others.
7. Leave for M Trek.

All of the above was just done in 2 weeks, so you can imagine how grueling it was. I went to Brazil for my MTrek which I thought would be a welcome break. It was, but it was pretty heavily focused on partying, so by the time it was done I was ready to go to class. Boy, I was wrong.

Nobody cares about classes

I came to school with the full intention of immersing myself in academics. The first few weeks, I absolutely loved going to class. My microeconomics professor was brutal but an incredibly intelligent and passionate teacher. Accounting was pretty great too and my professor took an active role in making the class a lot more than just keeping books. Strategy was terribly underwhelming and I found myself waiting for it to get better. Finally, statistics was great but most of my classmates hated it and the quant rigor was definitely unwelcome for the majority of the class. However, things took a turn after 5 weeks. After 5 weeks, companies started coming to campus with the endless presentation, coffee chats and what not and suddenly people started disappearing from classes, group assignments took a nosedive in terms of how seriously people took it and grade non-disclosure became a relief. By the time I entered my second quarter, I was checked out of classes too. Except for the Leading People and Organization class which is taught by arguably the best professor at Ross, I found myself drifting and missing more than a fair share of classes.

Recruitment is a circus

Everybody knows business school recruitment is crazy, but let me just bring to a close to say that a lot of your chances are crapshoot. I will outline some of my recruiting experience for you guys to decide. I was recruiting for tech and consulting and wanted to make a call when I had offers. Networking for consulting started end of September with the Bain case workshop and soon took over by other consulting firms. Here is what I did so far.

1. Bain - Attended the case workshop, went for at least 5 different events, 3 coffee chats, 3 official mock cases with a consultant, 3 social dinners.
2. BCG - 1 lunch, 3 coffee chats.
3. McKinsey - does not care much about networking but did 2 coffee chats on campus.
4. EY - Missed my coffee chat but connected over the phone with 4 consultants and attended 2 events.

Besides these, I did coffee chats and events for AT Kearney, Simon Kucher and Deloitte. I will not share where exactly I am at the recruitment process but will definitely share more once I have something share-worthy. When all the consulting closed lists came out, I got a few and missed a bunch. I was bummed but at the same time it gave me the opportunity to do a very focused prep for the interviews I have. We'll see what happens next week. My first big consulting interview is on 15th Jan. Wish me luck!

For tech recruiting, I went balls-to-the-wall with Microsoft. I networked early, thanks to a roommate who worships Satya Nadella, and won the Business Innovation Challenge for Ross. That gave me an opportunity to go to Seattle, present to Julia FREAKING White and have 5 snickers ice cream bars from their campus. Microsoft reactor is a magical place. Besides that, I did the Amazon week at Ross which was focused on getting students be aware of the Amazon recruitment process, dropped my resume for Google and called it a day. Besides these, I networked heavily with Dell (closed list invite comes tomorrow, so fingers crossed), Varsity Tutors (an EdTech start-up) and Salesforce. Salesforce is hard to work out at Michigan but let's see what happens. Meanwhile I casually dropped my resume at Apple and got an interview, so let's see what happens with that. All I am trying to say is that it is a roller coaster ride, and you never really know what you might get.

Parting Thoughts For Now

A friend in class recently had this to say over a really good apple cider "some people come to b-school to party, some to take a break, some to find their spouses and some to get their dream job". I cannot underline enough how important it is to know who you are. FOMO is real.

Happy to take questions and post more updates here on an on-going basis.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
G
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: So, What Happened?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 21:05
This is so good souvik101990
Best of luck for all the interviews! I'd be super interested to read an update on everything in late Jan / early Feb.

Thanks a lot for your insights!

Application Journey - From zero admit season to Chicago Booth | GMAT Debrief - 770 (Q49,V47)

Current Student
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 10:21
This week was insane but I ended up with some good news. Got into the second round of one of the MBB (the only one I was invited to interview in the first place) and the second round for a BigTech company (think Microsoft/Google/Apple). Wish me luck. These two weeks are going to be SO HARD!

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Senior PS Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 10:24
All the best souvik101990 hope you crack both those interviews :-D

Posted from my mobile device

Regards,
Gladi

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” - Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)

Current Student
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2019, 17:34
Okay, I am here after a month of hustle. Consulting did not really work out but I think I landed pretty well. I will join a big tech company (Apple/Google) as a Product Manager this summer. It was a great journey recruiting and my confidence in Ross is a lot more than what I started with. I am going to post more details of my experience, but I had to share it in this post as I signed my offer.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

CR Forum Moderator
D
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2019, 18:27
Congratulations souvik101990.

Thats really good news! :)

Please give kudos if you found my posts helpful!

Project CR Butler - 2 CR's everyday

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.2
WE: Research (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2019, 19:16
Good job, champ!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 540 Q44 V21

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2019, 19:27
Congratulations souvik101990

As always, keep inspiring:) Cheers!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: So, What Happened?   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2019, 19:27

So, What Happened?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap