Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [36]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [17]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [4]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT Date: 10-30-2013
Send PM
Social scientists in the United States [#permalink]
Social scientists in the United States have found that people’s view of nuclear energy changed dramatically following the Three Mile Island meltdown in 1979, shifting from optimism and a sense of energy independence to one characterized by fear and distrust.

shifting from optimism and a sense of energy independence to one characterized by fear and distrust.
shifting from being characterized by optimism and a sense of energy independence to being clouded by fear and distrust.
shifting from one characterized by optimism and a sense of energy independence to fear and distrust.
from one characterized by optimism and a sense of energy independence to one clouded by fear and distrust.
from it being characterized by optimism and a sense of energy independence to it being clouded by fear and distrust.

Give kudos if you like the question..keeps me motivated to post more.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Social scientists in the United States have found that [#permalink]
Social scientists in the United States have found that people’s view of nuclear energy changed dramatically following the Three Mile Island meltdown in 1979, shifting from optimism and a sense of energy independence to one characterized by fear and distrust.

i have a doubth, what does the ing- modifier (following the three mile island meltdown in 1979) modify? is it modifying a verb(changed )?
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
josepradeep wrote:

i have a doubth, what does the ing- modifier (following the three mile island meltdown in 1979) modify? is it modifying a verb(changed )?

It's modifying the entire previous clause and not just the verb.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk HD
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
pqhai wrote:
First of all, the non-underlined part says: Social scientists in the US have found that people's view of nuclear energy changed dramatically......." Do we need "shifting"? No, it's redundant.The correct structure should be: Social scientists in the US have found that people's view of nuclear energy changed dramatically..., form X to Y. Only D and E remain.

A) shifting from optimism and a sense of energy independence to one characterized by fear and distrust.
Wrong. "shifting" is redundant.

B) shifting from being characterized by optimism and a sense of energy independence to being clouded by fear and distrust.
Wrong.. Same as A. in addition, always avoid "being" in Gmat.

C) shifting from one characterized by optimism and a sense of energy independence to fear and distrust.
Wrong.. Same as A.

D) from one characterized by optimism and a sense of energy independence to one clouded by fear and distrust.
Correct. Good structure: people's view changed dramatically, for X to Y.

E) from it being characterized by optimism and a sense of energy independence to it being clouded by fear and distrust.
Wrong. "it being" sound awkward.

Hope it helps.

[/quote]
Don't be too harsh on being.

Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pqhai wrote:
First of all, the non-underlined part says: Social scientists in the US have found that people's view of nuclear energy changed dramatically......." Do we need "shifting"? No, it's redundant.The correct structure should be: Social scientists in the US have found that people's view of nuclear energy changed dramatically..., form X to Y. Only D and E remain.

A) shifting from optimism and a sense of energy independence to one characterized by fear and distrust.
Wrong. "shifting" is redundant.

B) shifting from being characterized by optimism and a sense of energy independence to being clouded by fear and distrust.
Wrong.. Same as A. in addition, always avoid "being" in Gmat.

C) shifting from one characterized by optimism and a sense of energy independence to fear and distrust.
Wrong.. Same as A.

D) from one characterized by optimism and a sense of energy independence to one clouded by fear and distrust.
Correct. Good structure: people's view changed dramatically, for X to Y.

E) from it being characterized by optimism and a sense of energy independence to it being clouded by fear and distrust.
Wrong. "it being" sound awkward.

Hope it helps.

[/quote]
I agree that shifting is a little redundant, but I would not eliminate A solely based on that as you have. There are graver parallelism errors.

I think Marcab is spot on for the being error.

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Don't be too harsh on being.

Thanks souvik101990.
Frankly, sometime I fall in trap just because I eliminate "being" too quickly. :-D
Best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2976 [1]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)