GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2019, 15:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2019, 05:52
adishail scheol79 any thoughts from the experts? thanks!
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2019, 07:13
crazi4ib wrote:
Hi crazi4ib,

Both species of dinosaur and species of dinosaurs are correct. This also applies to dog/dogs, cat/cats, insect/insects...
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2019, 21:11
AjiteshArun wrote:
crazi4ib wrote:
Hi crazi4ib,

Both species of dinosaur and species of dinosaurs are correct. This also applies to dog/dogs, cat/cats, insect/insects...

Thanks so much AjiteshArun !
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2019, 22:46
In Option B, if instead of "were" it has "Was", will that correct the answer. Just Curious. As i want to understand if the comparison is made correctly in both A and B.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2019, 15:02
Hi

How could "many species of dinosaur had a metabolism" ? Could anybody please enlighten? There is this OG problem about banks that needed to inform their clients about their deposits. Several options say "a deposit" although the deposits are made by the bank's clients. So this issue was pointed out. However, right now it seems to be OK.

Thanks

MikeScarn GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo aragonn generis hazelnut
Senior SC Moderator
V
Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 15:42
damit wrote:
Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like a warm-blooded mammal's than a cold-blooded reptile's.

(A) that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like
(B) that the metabolism of many dinosaur species were more like
(C) that the metabolisms of many species of dinosaurs were more like those of
(D) there were many species of dinosaurs that had metabolisms more like those of
(E) there were many dinosaur species that had a metabolism more like that of

jawele wrote:
Hi

How could "many species of dinosaur had a metabolism" ? Could anybody please enlighten? There is this OG problem about banks that needed to inform their clients about their deposits. Several options say "a deposit" although the deposits are made by the bank's clients. So this issue was pointed out. However, right now it seems to be OK.

Thanks

Hi jawele , the official question that you describe starts with "The Gordon-Dodd bill requires . . ." and is located HERE.

I will answer what I think is your question, though your reference to the Gordon-Dodd question makes me wonder whether I understand your issue.
Are you referring to daagh's comment about option E in that question?

I believe that you object to many species of dinosaur [plural] had A metabolism [singular].

A check is different from a physical trait.

Many Xs had a Y is okay.
Many Xs possessed a distinctive physical feature, while other Xs did not have this feature.

The feature is a permanent part of that subgroup's physiology—every member of that subgroup has that physical characteristic.
Unlike multiple customers who incorrectly had single "check" (there should be many checks per customer),
every member of the dinosaur subgroup: (1) should have only one metabolism, and (2) possesses it genetically.

I agree that the sentence is awkward.
I suspect that the authors were trying to avoid the use of the words mammals' and reptiles'. (Long story.)

This sentence is okay, too:
In the mid-1800s, most kinds of skirts had a shape more like a mushroom's or a UFO's than a garment's.
Attachment:
hoopskirt.jpg
hoopskirt.jpg [ 56.8 KiB | Viewed 342 times ]

I hope that helps. If not, try reframing your question. I will be happy to try to help.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has -- Margaret Mead
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2019, 14:11
generis wrote:
damit wrote:
Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like a warm-blooded mammal's than a cold-blooded reptile's.

(D) there were many species of dinosaurs that had metabolisms more like those of

jawele wrote:
Hi

Thanks

Hi jawele , the official question that you describe starts with "The Gordon-Dodd bill requires . . ." and is located HERE.

I will answer what I think is your question, though your reference to the Gordon-Dodd question makes me wonder whether I understand your issue.
Are you referring to daagh's comment about option E in that question?

I believe that you object to many species of dinosaur [plural] had A metabolism [singular].

A check is different from a physical trait.

Many Xs had a Y is okay.
Many Xs possessed a distinctive physical feature, while other Xs did not have this feature.

The feature is a permanent part of that subgroup's physiology—every member of that subgroup has that physical characteristic.
Unlike multiple customers who incorrectly had single "check" (there should be many checks per customer),
every member of the dinosaur subgroup: (1) should have only one metabolism, and (2) possesses it genetically.

I agree that the sentence is awkward.
I suspect that the authors were trying to avoid the use of the words mammals' and reptiles'. (Long story.)

This sentence is okay, too:
In the mid-1800s, most kinds of skirts had a shape more like a mushroom's or a UFO's than a garment's.
Attachment:
hoopskirt.jpg

I hope that helps. If not, try reframing your question. I will be happy to try to help.

No, thanks so much. Great answer
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2019, 07:40
I narrowed down to option A and option C.

Then, I eliminated C because non-underlined part mentions "a warm-blooded mammal's" which means metabolisms refers to a single animal and use of "metabolisms" for single animal is ambiguous.

Whether my reasoning for elimination of option C is correct?

Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 500 Q39 V20
GPA: 3.82
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2019, 09:21
damit wrote:

My major question here is can we or can we not eliminate that. Does anyone have a rule for when "that" can be eliminated?

thanks

B , C : METABOLISM USED WITH VERB WERE (METABOLISM WORD SHOULD BE USED WITH IS/ARE)
D , E : AFTER CONTEND THERE WERE MANY IS MEANINGLESS START
A : COINCISE AND BETTER CHOICE
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2019, 20:17
saury2k wrote:
In Option B, if instead of "were" it has "Was", will that correct the answer. Just Curious. As i want to understand if the comparison is made correctly in both A and B.

Sorry, I just realized that your question got lost in the shuffle, saury2k. I'm late to the party, but for whatever it's worth: you'll drive yourself mad trying to analyze altered versions of answer choices. As long as you understand why (B), as written, should be eliminated, I would leave it at that.

Even if you change the verb, (B) seems to refer to a single metabolism shared by many species. In (A), it's clear that we are talking about MANY species and that each had a SINGLE metabolism -- what kind of metabolism? A metabolism more like a a warm-blooded mammal's metabolism than a cold-blooded reptile's metabolism.

But again, there is no sense hurting brain cells by tweaking answer choices. The folks at GMAC spent a massive pile of time and money on these questions, so let's just make sure we can answer them as written, and that's enough. :)

I hope this helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 2.7

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2019, 03:54
warm-blooded mammal's than a cold-blooded reptile's. Implies matabolism is not compared but the species and only A is Parallel with contend past and had past

IMO A
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2019, 03:54

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 51 posts ] 

Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics