GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 05:11

R1 Decisions:

Michigan Ross Chat (US calls are expected today)  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  (Calls expected to start at 7am PST; Applicants from Asia will hear first)

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

06:00 PM PST

07:00 PM PST

Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 10:05
Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like a warm-blooded mammal’s than a cold-blooded reptile’s.

A. that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like
like here correctly compares "metabolism" of dinosaurs with that of warm blooded mammals

B. that the metabolism of many dinosaur species were more like
Subject-verb agreement is not there. Singular noun "metabolism" takes plural verb "were more like"

C. that the metabolisms of many species of dinosaurs were more like those of
"Plural metabolisms is not correct"

D. there were many species of dinosaurs that had metabolisms more like those of
"those" already refers to relative pronoun, hence use of warm blooded possessive noun is not correct. Also there were doesn't go along

E. there were many dinosaur species that had a metabolism more like that of
contend requires that to tell us what has to be related
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge
Re: Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 13:55
Hi Experts,

If we fix the SV issue in Choice B and write it as - that the metabolisms of many dinosaur species were more like.. -- Is comparing metabolisms to warm-blooded mammal's correct? Or does the possessive pronoun is always considered plural? Thanks much!

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 11:16
damit wrote:
Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like a warm-blooded mammal's than a cold-blooded reptile's.

My major question here is can we or can we not eliminate that. Does anyone have a rule for when "that" can be eliminated?

thanks

A) Correct.
B) "Metabolism" does not agree with the number of the verb "were."
C) "Those of" is redundant because "reptile" has an apostrophe.
D) "Those of" is redundant because "reptile" has an apostrophe.
E) "That of" is redundant because "reptile" has an apostrophe.
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 04:03
yt770 wrote:
Hi Experts,

If we fix the SV issue in choice B and write it as - that the metabolisms of many dinosaur species were more like.. -- Is comparing metabolisms to warm-blooded mammal's correct? Or does the possessive pronoun is always considered plural? Thanks much!

Yes, with SV correction, option B would be alright. The word metalbolism is omitted after the possessive "mammal's" / "reptile's". So comparison is between "metabolism" (of dinosaur) and metabolism (of hot-blooded reptiles / cold-blooded reptiles).

The possessive itself is not singular or plural - it is an adjective (possessive adjective) for another noun - that other noun could be singular or plural. You may say Ram's book or Ram's books. Both are correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 20:28
Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like a warm-blooded mammal's than a cold-blooded reptile's.

My major question here is can we or can we not eliminate that. Does anyone have a rule for when "that" can be eliminated?

thanks[/quote]

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 00:51
By going through POE, OA as A can be reached. But option A looks like a faulty comparison. We are comparing species of dinosaur with warm-blooded mammal???s metabolism. Correct comparison should be with the metabolism of species of dinosaur with warm-blooded mammal???s metabolism.
Example- I have more money than Sam(has). Here has is understood. The sentence is correct.
I have more money than Sam's.---> This is incorrect. We cant compare I with Sam's money.
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 03:13
sunny91 wrote:
But option A looks like a faulty comparison. We are comparing species of dinosaur with warm-blooded mammal’s metabolism. Correct comparison should be with the metabolism of species of dinosaur with warm-blooded mammal’s metabolism.
Example- I have more money than Sam(has). Here has is understood. The sentence is correct.
I have more money than Sam's.---> This is incorrect. We cant compare I with Sam's money.

Hi sunny91, let's take the following example:

I have a better car than Sam.

As you've suggested, this is a correct sentence and is equivalent to:

I have a better car than Sam (has).

However, if we have a sentence:

I have a car better than Sam.

Now this is an invalid sentence, because this is now comparing car with Sam. We fix this sentence as:

I have a car better than Sam's.

This is a correct sentence, since the way we need to read this is:

I have a car (that is) better than Sam's (car is).

If you notice the (hidden) clause in the above sentence, the clause is: that is better, where that is referring to car.

This hidden modifier now changes everything! Basically "I" does not even figure in the comparison! It is just the car that is being compared.

Now, let's analyze the following:

Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like a warm-blooded mammal’s than a cold-blooded reptile’s.

Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism (that is) more like a warm-blooded mammal’s than a cold-blooded reptile’s (metabolism is).

Again, notice that it is just the metabolism that is being compared.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this modifier aspect of comparisons, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 07:06
EducationAisle wrote:
sunny91 wrote:
But option A looks like a faulty comparison. We are comparing species of dinosaur with warm-blooded mammal’s metabolism. Correct comparison should be with the metabolism of species of dinosaur with warm-blooded mammal’s metabolism.

Hi sunny91, let's take the following example:

However, if we have a sentence:

I have a car better than Sam.

Now this is an invalid sentence, because this is now comparing car with Sam. We fix this sentence as:

I have a car better than Sam's.

I have a car (that is) better than Sam's (car is).

If you notice the (hidden) clause in the above sentence, the clause is: that is better, where that is referring to car.

This hidden modifier now changes everything! Basically "I" does not even figure in the comparison! It is just the car that is being compared.

Now, let's analyze the following:

Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism (that is) more like a warm-blooded mammal’s than a cold-blooded reptile’s (metabolism is).

Again, notice that it is just the metabolism that is being compared.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this modifier aspect of comparisons, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

EducationAisle wrote:

ellipsis in comparison- Shouldn't the omitted words be present in the first part of the sentence in the same form?
In the above sentence, the verb has is not present in the first part of the sentence.

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , egmat , sayantanc2k , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert , RonPurewal , mikemcgarry , EducationAisle - please enlighten

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 07:15
Skywalker18 wrote:
ellipsis in comparison- Shouldn't the omitted words be present in the first part of the sentence in the same form?

Hi Skywalker18, it would be slightly simplistic to believe that in ellipsis, omitted words should always be present in the first part of the sentence in the same form.

In fact, in certain conditions (especially with the to be forms of the verb), even a tense change is allowed.

Following is a correct sentence from OG:

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last.

This is equivalent to:

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than (Heating-oil prices were) last (year) .

Note that the tense changes after than (simple past).

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses these concepts of comparisons, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 06:46
Hi Experts,

Please resolve my below query:

Per my understanding, in order to use past perfect, the sentence must also contain
EITHER a verb in the simple past tense
OR a time marker that occurred in the past but later than the past perfect action.

In the answer choice A, is the usage of "HAD" correct?
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 08:45
Top Contributor
xyz
"Had' is not a past perfect auxiliary verb here. It is the simple past of 'have'

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 22:31
In option A , is usage of "had" correct? But we use had to compare two time zones. Please post explanation on had use.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 08:19
damit wrote:

thanks

SO earlier I chose 'C' because of following reasons: 1) No idiom error, 2) metabolisms is clearly compared to metabolisms. However, after further analysis , I realized that in C, the "those of" refers to "a warm blooded mammal's" or " a cold blooded reptile's".We know that "those" is plural relative pronoun, so it can't refer to them. Hence C is incorrect, D and E are unidiomatic, B has subject verb count issue. Therefore by POE, A is the answer.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 12:08
damit wrote:

(A) that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like
(B) that the metabolism of many dinosaur species were more like
(C) that the metabolisms of many species of dinosaurs were more like those of
(D) there were many species of dinosaurs that had metabolisms more like those of
(E) there were many dinosaur species that had a metabolism more like that of

thanks

More X than Y where X and Y both need to be parallel.
The idiom is "contend that" so only A,B, or C are left.
Then the idiom is More X than Y
where X and Y need to be parallel.
only A has it.
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 11:10
Mihiran - Read your explanation and I can tell you that you have wrong understanding of this sentence for sure. here is a helping hand from my side.

Spot on for "contend that" - used for claim, not a subjunctive verb. in other form it is used as "contending for X".
Also "there were" expression is wrong in most cases but C, D and E can be eliminated on the basis of that of/ those of. Already mammal's is used which is pointing to metabolism. No need to use this expression.

(A) that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like ---- Correct --- correct use of "contend that" ---- metabolism is compared correctly with that of mammal/reptile
(B) that the metabolism of many dinosaur species were more like ---- use of were. SV pair mistake.
(D) there were many species of dinosaurs that had metabolisms more like those of

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 11:26
aragonn wrote:
Mihiran - Read your explanation and I can tell you that you have wrong understanding of this sentence for sure. here is a helping hand from my side.

Spot on for "contend that" - used for claim, not a subjunctive verb. in other form it is used as "contending for X".
Also "there were" expression is wrong in most cases but C, D and E can be eliminated on the basis of that of/ those of. Already mammal's is used which is pointing to metabolism. No need to use this expression.

(A) that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like ---- Correct --- correct use of "contend that" ---- metabolism is compared correctly with that of mammal/reptile
(B) that the metabolism of many dinosaur species were more like ---- use of were. SV pair mistake.

Thanks Aragon, I have made note of the other form of contend idiom and have understood that D,C, and E are wrong because "those of" is trying to represent metabolism, this action leads the meaning to metabolism of the metabolism.Please feel free to correct again if I missed something.
GMAT Club Bot
Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism &nbs [#permalink] 16 Dec 2018, 11:26

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap