Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: SSE (Stockholm School of Economics) 2016 Intake [#permalink]
mqdn wrote:
It seems like everyone's profile is exceptional compared to mine.

I am an international student doing Accounting & Finance at top uni in the UK (top 30 in the world). I currently have a 3.33/4 GPA, no relevant work experience, and I can score 500 at best at the GMAT which will be scheduled for 21th December.

Do I have a chance at all at getting into MSc Finance? Do they usually give you a conditional offer and require you to retake the GMAT for better score (Do universities do that in general)? I haven't had much time studying for the GMAT, as I had to focus on my studies as well.

Unfortunately mqdn, I don't think SSE (or universities in general) give you a conditional offer in case you don't meet the their GMAT score requirement. So, perhaps you should focus more on the GMAT than your other studies the next couple of weeks. I prepared intensively 10 days for my GMAT and got from 640 to 720. So in case you are disciplined, I believe it is possible to improve your results a lot over the next couple of weeks :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Dane wrote:
mqdn wrote:
It seems like everyone's profile is exceptional compared to mine.

I am an international student doing Accounting & Finance at top uni in the UK (top 30 in the world). I currently have a 3.33/4 GPA, no relevant work experience, and I can score 500 at best at the GMAT which will be scheduled for 21th December.

Do I have a chance at all at getting into MSc Finance? Do they usually give you a conditional offer and require you to retake the GMAT for better score (Do universities do that in general)? I haven't had much time studying for the GMAT, as I had to focus on my studies as well.

Unfortunately, I don't think SSE (or universities in general) give you a conditional offer in case you don't meet the their GMAT score requirement. So, perhaps you should focus more on the GMAT than your other studies the next couple of weeks. I prepared intensively 10 days for my GMAT and got from 640 to 720. So in case you are disciplined, I believe it is possible to improve your results a lot over the next couple of weeks :)

Wow, that is insane. Did you follow an intense routine? Any tips?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
hey guys, I have also applied before Nov 15 for MSc in Fin. Will let you know if I receive any notification from SSE and please do the same :)

fingers crossed!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mqdn wrote:
Wow, that is insane. Did you follow an intense routine? Any tips?

I ditched my social life for 10 days and studied for 14 hours a day ;) Not fun - but effective.
I focused mainly on strategy and my weak spots. I mostly just used the official guide material from GMAC. Started doing all the different questions there and took the two sample tests. Then I bought some additional official questions online.

Some of the free youtube videos from VeritasPrep were also quite helpful - especially the one about sentence correction strategy (I'm not a native English speaker, so perhaps you won't find it as helpful). But don't get lost in the jungle of weird youtube videos. Study hard and intensively is my best advice.

You might find some other good posts around these forums :-)

schmuckben wrote:
hey guys, I have also applied before Nov 15 for MSc in Fin. Will let you know if I receive any notification from SSE and please do the same :)

fingers crossed!!

Great to hear! What's your profile schmuckben?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hey Dane,

There you go:

BSc: Finance and Accounting (majored in Fin) a Hungarian uni (one of the top schools in the country but unknown on SSE level) w/ GPA 4.7/5
GMAT: 720 (V:41;Q:48)
IELTS: 7.5
Experience: 1 year experience in investment banking controlling, government sector internship
No Erasmus semester

Little tip mqdn: all major GMAT material providers (GMAC, VeritasPrep, Kaplan you name it) offer free practice tests (keep the timing and rules!!) and I found them extremely helpful. I often got bogged down on questions rather than move on and those free mock exams taught me that. Plus, you get a glimpse of where you are with the scores. Based on my experience (me and couple of people I asked) you get to score the mock exam avg +/- 20.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I was rejected in the December phase. Anyone got accepted?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
schmuckben wrote:

I am surprised since your profile is quite strong.

I also applied for the first round and got rejected. My profile:

Bachelor in Industrial Engineering in one of Germany's leading technical universities; best 6% of class
    2 semesters study abroad (Erasmus)
    Teaching tutor at university in Finance and Software Programming for 1.5 years
    Internships in M&A, Big 4 company and one top management consultancy as well as startup experience (not as a founder)
    Published my Bachelor Thesis at an international conference
    Gmat: 660
    TOELF: 110

I guess I completed enough internships and my academic background is also very strong (if SSE is aware of the reputation of my university). I guess my Gmat kicked me out..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey guys

I missed the early application and I am going to apply as soon as I have a reference letter.

Finance and Accounting at Athens University of Economics and Business (7.14 / 10)
Gmat 700
Ielts 7
2 month banking internship + other not relevant work experience
no erasmus

would you guys recommend a reference from a professor or an employer?

Good luck to everybody !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V33
GPA: 3.8
Kudos
schmuckben wrote:

I think your profile is really strong.

I received the offer yesterday, so I want to find students who have the admission in the forum.

My profile:
Bachelor in International Accounting in a Chinese University;
Internship in a local accounting firm
GPA:3.8/4.3
Gmat: 700
IELTS: 7.0
and I have passed the examinations of ACCA.

So I think maybe you can argue with the admission office because your profile is good.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
JohnT I think both are fine, heard of people getting accepted with both of em. :)

shushushu Thanks, kind words. ACCA ought to be a big plus. Did you apply for MFin? Btw I don't wanna argue with anybody provided they accept me 2nd round :)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V33
GPA: 3.8
Yes, I applied for Master of Finance.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Accepted early to MSc Acct. and Finance.

Profile:
Swedish citizen
GMAT: 680 (Q45,V38, AWA5.5, IR8)
GPA: Equivalent to 3.9/4.0, Accounting major.

Strong ECs + unusual and pretty strong international work exp. Still waiting for other schools before I decide upon accepting.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
Hi all,

I applied for the CEMS/International Business master program before November 15th and on December 9th I was invited for the assessment center that will take place in late February.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SSE (Stockholm School of Economics) 2016 Intake [#permalink]
Hey everyone!
I'm also going to apply for MSc in Finance for next year.
Currently studying Economics and Business at University of Amsterdam (track in Economics and Finance)
GPA of 6.9/10 (not very high)
I had one (4 month) internship at the finance department of a Dutch airline company.
A GMAT of 700(Q46V40)
In november I had a meeting with some recruiters from SSE and they said that, especially for the MSc in Finance, a high quant score on GMAT is important and that last year on average the GMAT was 692 if I recall correctly.
Good luck with applications everyone!

Originally posted by NJKop on 22 Dec 2015, 11:54.
Last edited by NJKop on 27 Dec 2015, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
SSE (Stockholm School of Economics) 2016 Intake [#permalink]
Hi guys,

I am currently in the proces of applying as well!
My first choice is MSc Economics, second MSc Finance.
- Currently finishing my bachelors in Economics & Business Economics
- GPA of 6.8/10, but I've worked 20h/week parttime and my courses abroad were not included
- Semester abroad Rome Tor Vergata, only MSc Finance & Banking/MSc Economics courses (GPA 28.2/30)
- Summerinternship at the largest financial institution in the Netherlands (ING)
- 1 semester audit internship at Big4
- upcoming semester corporate finance internship at Big4
- IELTS/TOEFL exemption: English Bachelors program

As I type this I am procastrinating whilst studying for the gmat :-D During mock-exams I scored 630-650. So hopefully my work-experience will substitute somehow for my somewhat lower GPA and GMAT (I am taking the gmat january 8th). What do you guys think?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Hi everyone!

I received my offer on Dec 17th. I share here my profile:

Undergrad. Bocconi University; gpa 28.3/30 ( 3.84 on a 4.0 scale)
No relevant work experience
GMAT 700 (IR 8, Q 48, V 37)
Exchange semester at Olin Business School (Washington University in st. louis)

You guys have a very good profile, I think you will receive the offer in March. Good luck and see you in Stockholm!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MY94_ From what I could figure out from posts by accepted candidates of this year and last year is that SSE tends to favor people coming with a very strong uni and with a high quant score on the GMAT. So go for a decent overall score and a high Q :)

Aziz94 Man, no surprise you got in. :) Hope to see you in Stockholm
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts