It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 09:12

Happening Now:

Live Chat with Amy Mitson, Sr. Associate Director of Admissions at Tuck Dartmouth


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stalactites and stalagmites, accretions of minerals formed

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2012
Posts: 140

Kudos [?]: 273 [1], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Stalactites and stalagmites, accretions of minerals formed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 18:38
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (00:50) correct 35% (01:01) wrong based on 205 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Stalactites and stalagmites, accretions of minerals formed over time by dripping water, are common features in the region’s corners.

A. formed over time by dripping water, are common
B. that are formed by water dripping over time, are common
C. formed through time by the dripping of water, are common
D. having formed over time through dripping water, is a
E. , which are formed over time by the dripping of water, are commonly
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 273 [1], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Posts: 43

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 6

Re: Stalactites and stalagmites, accretions of minerals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 21:14
1
This post received
KUDOS
kingb wrote:
Stalactites and stalagmites, accretions of minerals formed over time by dripping water, are common features in the region’s corners.

A. formed over time by dripping water, are common
B. that are formed by water dripping over time, are common
C. formed through time by the dripping of water, are common
D. having formed over time through dripping water, is a
E. , which are formed over time by the dripping of water, are commonly


Stalactites and stalagmites - two things
Hence we need are before common.
Therefore, D is out.

Commonly is wrong usage in option E.
Therefore E is incorrect.

We are now left with A, B and C
In Option B, "That" is trying to show that the minerals were formed over time, but its not the minerals but the stalactites and stalagmites.

In GMAT

Verb form > Adjective Form > Noun Form
This means that verb form has the highest preference and then adjective and then the least noun.

In C, "the dripping of water" is the noun form
Whereas, In A, "dripping water" is adjective form.
Hence C is ruled out.

Answer is A.

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Posts: 295

Kudos [?]: 282 [1], given: 32

Re: Stalactites and stalagmites, accretions of minerals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 22:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
anukrati wrote:
kingb wrote:
Stalactites and stalagmites, accretions of minerals formed over time by dripping water, are common features in the region’s corners.

A. formed over time by dripping water, are common
B. that are formed by water dripping over time, are common
C. formed through time by the dripping of water, are common
D. having formed over time through dripping water, is a
E. , which are formed over time by the dripping of water, are commonly



In Option B, "That" is trying to show that the minerals were formed over time, but its not the minerals but the stalactites and stalagmites.

Answer is A.


hey im not sure if u can eliminate B because of the reasons you have mentioned.
in option A "formed is an adjective, which modifies minerals so by ur logic then A must also be wrong.
I guess "that" is B is ambiguous because the verb followed by that is "are" so "that are" could refer to accretions (wrongly) or minerals (correctly).

What's your take?

cheers

Kudos [?]: 282 [1], given: 32

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Posts: 43

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 6

Re: Stalactites and stalagmites, accretions of minerals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 22:28
Jp27 wrote:
anukrati wrote:
kingb wrote:
Stalactites and stalagmites, accretions of minerals formed over time by dripping water, are common features in the region’s corners.

A. formed over time by dripping water, are common
B. that are formed by water dripping over time, are common
C. formed through time by the dripping of water, are common
D. having formed over time through dripping water, is a
E. , which are formed over time by the dripping of water, are commonly



In Option B, "That" is trying to show that the minerals were formed over time, but its not the minerals but the stalactites and stalagmites.

Answer is A.


hey im not sure if u can eliminate B because of the reasons you have mentioned.
in option A "formed is an adjective, which modifies minerals so by ur logic then A must also be wrong.
I guess "that" is B is ambiguous because the verb followed by that is "are" so "that are" could refer to accretions (wrongly) or minerals (correctly).

What's your take?

cheers



In A, formed is modifying "accretions of minerals" not minerals alone.

Hope this helps

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Posts: 295

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 32

Re: Stalactites and stalagmites, accretions of minerals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 22:47
Hi "accretions" means to increase/grow
so "[increase of minerals] formed by blah blah
or increase of [minerals] formed by blah blah

Moreover verbed modify the proceeding noun. Please let me know if u feel otherwise.

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Posts: 43

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 6

Re: Stalactites and stalagmites, accretions of minerals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 23:01
Jp27 wrote:
Hi "accretions" means to increase/grow
so "[increase of minerals] formed by blah blah
or increase of [minerals] formed by blah blah

Moreover verbed modify the proceeding noun. Please let me know if u feel otherwise.



I went by [increase of minerals] formed by ....
But what you are trying to say has sense.

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Posts: 43

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 6

Re: Stalactites and stalagmites, accretions of minerals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 23:07
Jp27 wrote:
Hi "accretions" means to increase/grow
so "[increase of minerals] formed by blah blah
or increase of [minerals] formed by blah blah

Moreover verbed modify the proceeding noun. Please let me know if u feel otherwise.


Hi Jp27,

I read the Option B again.
I might be wrong on the reasoning.
But while reading again I can see that the meaning is getting distorted in B.
B says "that are formed by water dripping over time"
A says "formed over time by dripping water".

The placement of "over time" is changing the meaning in both the sentences.

In B it means that water is dripping over time.
But in A, it says that formation is happening over time.

Whats your say on this? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Posts: 295

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 32

Re: Stalactites and stalagmites, accretions of minerals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 23:10
anukrati wrote:
Jp27 wrote:
Hi "accretions" means to increase/grow
so "[increase of minerals] formed by blah blah
or increase of [minerals] formed by blah blah

Moreover verbed modify the proceeding noun. Please let me know if u feel otherwise.


Hi Jp27,

I read the Option B again.
I might be wrong on the reasoning.
But while reading again I can see that the meaning is getting distorted in B.
B says "that are formed by water dripping over time"
A says "formed over time by dripping water".

The placement of "over time" is changing the meaning in both the sentences.

In B it means that water is dripping over time.
But in A, it says that formation is happening over time.

Whats your say on this? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks


perfect.
"over time" is a misplaced modifier. that's the best reason to eliminate.

cheers

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Posts: 43

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 6

Re: Stalactites and stalagmites, accretions of minerals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 23:16
Jp27 wrote:
anukrati wrote:
Jp27 wrote:
Hi "accretions" means to increase/grow
so "[increase of minerals] formed by blah blah
or increase of [minerals] formed by blah blah

Moreover verbed modify the proceeding noun. Please let me know if u feel otherwise.


Hi Jp27,

I read the Option B again.
I might be wrong on the reasoning.
But while reading again I can see that the meaning is getting distorted in B.
B says "that are formed by water dripping over time"
A says "formed over time by dripping water".

The placement of "over time" is changing the meaning in both the sentences.

In B it means that water is dripping over time.
But in A, it says that formation is happening over time.

Whats your say on this? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks


perfect.
"over time" is a misplaced modifier. that's the best reason to eliminate.

cheers



Thanks ... :-D

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 6

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 603

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 41

Schools: Cambridge'16
CAT Tests
Re: Stalactites and stalagmites, accretions of minerals formed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2015, 21:33
I was confused by comma in option A. It uses essential modifier so we do not need comma after "water". That is why considered E but it uses wrongly adverb "commonly"

A

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 41

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Status: Active
Affiliations: NA
Joined: 24 Oct 2012
Posts: 325

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 56

GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.5
Stalactites and stalagmites, accretions of minerals formed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 03:37
Temurkhon wrote:
I was confused by comma in option A. It uses essential modifier so we do not need comma after "water". That is why considered E but it uses wrongly adverb "commonly"

A



Hi,
No it is not using essential modifiers otherwise 'that' would have been used. Structure of the sentence isNoun + Non essential Modifiers + verb and rest of the sentence.
_________________

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 56

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Posts: 70

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 24

Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
Stalactites and stalagmites, accretions of minerals formed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 08:25
kingb wrote:
Stalactites and stalagmites, accretions of minerals formed over time by dripping water, are common features in the region’s corners.

A. formed over time by dripping water, are common
B. that are formed by water dripping over time, are common
C. formed through time by the dripping of water, are common
D. having formed over time through dripping water, is a
E. , which are formed over time by the dripping of water, are commonly


in B water dripping over time does not seem right from a sentence structure standpoint, hence A

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 24

Stalactites and stalagmites, accretions of minerals formed   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2016, 08:25
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
EXPERTS_POSTS_IN_THIS_TOPIC Is the form 'so+verb' an officially accepted form? gmatretest 3 02 Apr 2016, 20:49
29 Bricolage is an unusual art form because it is formed of macjas 15 20 Jun 2017, 17:52
5 The miners were reluctant to embrace the company’s new unionization po nitred 5 19 Mar 2017, 23:00
2 C-Blast is a hearty blend of powerful vitamins, minerals, fozzzy 4 05 Jun 2014, 00:45
1 C-Blast is a hearty blend of powerful vitamins, minerals, daviesj 4 09 Sep 2016, 00:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Stalactites and stalagmites, accretions of minerals formed

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.