GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 15:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kelley part-time MBA vs Stanford MSx

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Stanford MSx vs Kelley part-time MBA

  • 100% [1]
  • 0% [0]
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Mar 2017
Posts: 10
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.7
Reviews Badge
Kelley part-time MBA vs Stanford MSx  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Apr 2018, 20:36
edited

Originally posted by ywang14 on 31 Mar 2018, 12:15.
Last edited by ywang14 on 24 Apr 2018, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 10 Mar 2015
Posts: 44
Location: United States
Schools: Booth '20 (M)
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kelley part-time MBA vs Stanford MSx  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 15:56
$128,400 tuition for a one-year program?!?! HOLY **** that is expensive. Stanford, you're great and all, but WTF?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Mar 2017
Posts: 10
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.7
Reviews Badge
Re: Kelley part-time MBA vs Stanford MSx  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 05:30
Prices wrote:
$128,400 tuition for a one-year program?!?! HOLY **** that is expensive. Stanford, you're great and all, but WTF?


;) I know

Would appreciate your thoughts :grin:
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 10 Mar 2015
Posts: 44
Location: United States
Schools: Booth '20 (M)
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kelley part-time MBA vs Stanford MSx  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 06:38
2
ywang14 wrote:
Prices wrote:
$128,400 tuition for a one-year program?!?! HOLY **** that is expensive. Stanford, you're great and all, but WTF?


;) I know

Would appreciate your thoughts :grin:


I would do a LinkedIn search for MSx grads and see how many are in VC. If there are hardly any, I would not do the program. Stanford MBA is highly affiliated with VC, but I don't know if the same is true for MSx. VC is very hard to break into full-time, and putting $180k towards it without a reasonable shot is not worth it.

As for Kelly, you're right that you could probably land an internship with enough hustle but it's rare that those turn into full-time offers. I don't see that experience being more beneficial to your resume than your current angel investing.

You should be considering a third option, neither school and focus on breaking in organically through networking.

Full disclosure, I work in PE not VC but GMAT Club doesn't have that as a WE option.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16849
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Kelley part-time MBA vs Stanford MSx  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 06:48
2
I know personally at least one VC person from the former Sloan program that became MSx. I have a feeling it was a very attractive program for Bay Area VC folks looking to do a bit of soul searching and looking to take their career to the next level. My data is a bit dated but should be pretty accurate.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 10 Mar 2015
Posts: 44
Location: United States
Schools: Booth '20 (M)
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kelley part-time MBA vs Stanford MSx  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 06:54
1
bb wrote:
I know personally at least one VC person from the former Sloan program that became MSx. I have a feeling it was a very attractive program for Bay Area VC folks looking to do a bit of soul searching and looking to take their career to the next level. My data is a bit dated but should be pretty accurate.

Posted from my mobile device


bb makes a good point that I forgot to mention with the LinkedIn search. You also need to determine if the MSx folks in VC came from VC prior to the program. If that's the case, then it likely isn't a good option for breaking into VC.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Mar 2017
Posts: 10
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.7
Reviews Badge
Re: Kelley part-time MBA vs Stanford MSx  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Apr 2018, 07:44
Prices wrote:
bb wrote:
I know personally at least one VC person from the former Sloan program that became MSx. I have a feeling it was a very attractive program for Bay Area VC folks looking to do a bit of soul searching and looking to take their career to the next level. My data is a bit dated but should be pretty accurate.

Posted from my mobile device


bb makes a good point that I forgot to mention with the LinkedIn search. You also need to determine if the MSx folks in VC came from VC prior to the program. If that's the case, then it likely isn't a good option for breaking into VC.


Thanks Prices and bb! I realize VC is hard to break in and I'm not dead set on VC. Most people get into VC at later stage of their career. What about corporate venture jobs? My reason to do corporate venture job path is a means to VC and impact investing.
-BUT I want to ultimately get into impact investing but I'm unsure how to get there.

bb
Prices

Originally posted by ywang14 on 01 Apr 2018, 07:36.
Last edited by ywang14 on 01 Apr 2018, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16849
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Kelley part-time MBA vs Stanford MSx  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 07:36
Prices wrote:
bb wrote:
I know personally at least one VC person from the former Sloan program that became MSx. I have a feeling it was a very attractive program for Bay Area VC folks looking to do a bit of soul searching and looking to take their career to the next level. My data is a bit dated but should be pretty accurate.

Posted from my mobile device


bb makes a good point that I forgot to mention with the LinkedIn search. You also need to determine if the MSx folks in VC came from VC prior to the program. If that's the case, then it likely isn't a good option for breaking into VC.



I just looked up the person who I know was and still is after the program in the VC world but his LinkedIn profile gives nothing away that he is in VC, just his firm's name, so the LinkedIn approach may not be helpful looking by industry, instead I would recommend looking for companies based in Menlo Park.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Kelley part-time MBA vs Stanford MSx &nbs [#permalink] 01 Apr 2018, 07:36
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Kelley part-time MBA vs Stanford MSx

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.