GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 19:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Started lower tier MBA, should I reapply?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Started lower tier MBA, should I reapply?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Oct 2018, 07:41
Delited

Originally posted by finagma001 on 01 Oct 2018, 11:22.
Last edited by finagma001 on 04 Oct 2018, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Re: Started lower tier MBA, should I reapply?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 11:34
Yes,you can always reapply for the second time at least.Just make sure you withdraw your visa formally and clear all dues with the school.
Admission Consultant
G
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 11:51
Bad idea...
Not only will you be distracted from your current courses with no guarantees of school admissions OR even the job scene getting any better next year.
Most importantly, all schools you apply to will want to know why you are not steady on your decisions

Posted from my mobile device

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Oct 2018, 07:42
Delited

Originally posted by finagma001 on 01 Oct 2018, 11:56.
Last edited by finagma001 on 04 Oct 2018, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

Delited

Originally posted by finagma001 on 01 Oct 2018, 11:58.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 12:17
finagma001 wrote:
user54432 wrote:
Yes,you can always reapply for the second time at least.Just make sure you withdraw your visa formally and clear all dues with the school.

If I want to reapply I should withdraw my visa? Why?

How can you stay in the US if you discontinue your studies?I have never heard of an MBA student transferring.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

Delited

Originally posted by finagma001 on 01 Oct 2018, 13:05.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 13:25
Are you sure you will be able to pull it off and get a top20 admit while studying?

And are you sure that your 1 year of studying will not go waste?Will your future Bschool consider credits from your current.

Sorry for not being the expert help you require,but I hope my questions too are of some help.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

Delited

Originally posted by finagma001 on 01 Oct 2018, 13:35.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 13:35
Hi. I was in similar shoes in my day and I was fairly disappointed with the school I attended in the first semester. Big part of it was the basic curriculum that takes place in the first few quarters and also culture shock. I had a hard time transitioning to the US BSchool culture. (Part of the reason I ended up where I did is that i missed many of the International Applicant deadlines for the top 10 when I finally took my GMAT). So around this time, I contacted many of the top 10 schools and they were all very nice to reply and all said I would have to apply from scratch. They would not let me transfer. I thought about it but then moved on. It was just going to be too expensive to transition, and do the applications, I would need to get new LOR's and just continue going with the original school, so after a bit of a hassle, I buried the case, and moved on. It also helped that I have made friends, launched GMAT Club, got an internship, and stopped thinking that my classmates were idiots - many were really great people and really smart, i just had to look deeper. After that, I got busy and never looked back :)

Ultimately, I don't know how realistic it is to reapply.
Your position with Full Scholarship is very low risk but you will be on your own for job hunting while in a top 30 as opposed to a top 10 or top 15 for example....

P.S. While my school did not contribute much to my job hunt, it gave me a lot, so after a few years after graduation, I eventually realized the values it added and became a contributing alumni. Afterall - they gave me a full scholarship, dealt with my crap, and frankly are a family now.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Oct 2018, 13:43
I think bb has cleared it up a bit.

So because there is no chance of transferring credits,you would be better off going back home right away,once you are sure you don't want to continue where you are and if you think you can crack the top 20.

I'm pretty sure visa will not be a issue if you crack the top 20,if you withdraw in the proper manner now.

I really cannot help you regarding your job search queries,I hope more people chip in.

EDIT : I still think bb has a point that you are in a low risk situation.Think about this,what if you crack top20 and have to pay 200k in fees+expenses.Are you okay with wasting one year?Will you be able to go through the application process with full effort?Don't rush anything.

Originally posted by user54432 on 01 Oct 2018, 13:40.
Last edited by user54432 on 01 Oct 2018, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 13:43
To add, The part that will help you find a job is a network - you need to start building it. If you look at the Top CEO's and CFO's you will see that only about 10% of them went to HBS and Wharton. Most have gone to schools you never heard about, something related to success has to do with other aspects of it other than MBA/Wharton. What a top 10 MBA gives you is the first job - a bridge back to the corporate world but 5 years after you graduate, you are back to using your network. Nobody is going to wonder where you went to school - they will want to see results and what you have achieved, and in 5 years, it is possible to get 3 promotions with correct circumstances and working hard obviously and outplace a person who may have started a level or two higher.

Last time I was recruiting, which was a while ago.... I was able to negotiate a good offer when I was starting my job primarily because i had a strong track record and when meeting up with guys from top 10 and complaining to each other how it is impossible to live on $150K anymore and how deceiving numbers are, I realized I often made as much or perhaps more than some of them did after bonus and stuff. Not all is lost ;-)

Founder of GMAT Club

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 13:51
TheIvyLeagueEdge wrote:
Bad idea...
Not only will you be distracted from your current courses with no guarantees of school admissions OR even the job scene getting any better next year.
Most importantly, all schools you apply to will want to know why you are not steady on your decisions

Posted from my mobile device

This is valid - other programs will be concerned that you will drop out and not stick around if things get tough. You will need a VERY GOOD reason why you have left. BSchools are not bars and hopping is not as easy. The way they see it, You saying that job prospects and other things are not great speaks about a lack of research and lack of diligence. It is possible but it is going to be a lot more complicated and harder than if you have not started/attended. You can possibly hide the fact that you have started bSchool. Technically you may pull that off but that seems quite a bit of a hassle and if the Top 20 school finds out in their background check, they will drop you for not disclosing that fact.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

Delited

Originally posted by finagma001 on 01 Oct 2018, 13:55.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 13:59
bb wrote:
It is possible but it is going to be a lot more complicated and harder than if you have not started/attended. You can possibly hide the fact that you have started bSchool. Technically you may pull that off but that seems quite a bit of a hassle and if the Top 20 school finds out in their background check, they will drop you for not disclosing that fact.

If OP goes back to his old job or gets one immediately(due to which there will be no gap in his resume) I don't see how his next clue will find out.

I'm pretty sure they will have to generate a new SEVIS number anyway, and I don't think the Visa authorities will share any info with the school unless specifically asked for.

Though I still think finagma001 should stay put.And can you name your school so others can tell if your job situation is really as bad as you make it look?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 14:02
finagma001 wrote:
Thanks a lot.

So as I understand, I'd better not reapply? Adn work my ass off to have a hope for good career?

It will be your call in the end and none of us should be held responsible for it.

What did you say was your career goal when you went into your interview and why do you think it is suddenly out of reach?
Why did you land a full ride,what about you made them shell out so much money?

Surely you aren't as confused an individual.Relax and think for yourself.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 14:21
It is not like you get a great career for just going to Booth, Ross, or Fuqua. You get more opportunities to recruit there but it is not like employers compete for you either. You will compete with your classmates and you will compete with other school applicants too. So if you were not qualified to start with and not as impressive as other applicants, then you will be shortlisted by employers. Getting a top 10 MBA does not mean you get an amazing job.... You will get an interview opportunity, but not more than that.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 14:34
To expand on bb is saying read this AMA of a Wharton MBA who was only 1 of 2 people from his school to be interviewed by FB:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MBA/comments/8 ... arton_ama/

Important part:

Quote:
Just how tough it can be to get one of the "highly-coveted" recruiting jobs. I think many MBA applicants think that once they get into school, the magical offers come raining down from the heavens by the bucketful: "Oh dear me, how shall I EVER choose between the Google, McKinsey, Blackstone, P&G, and Kleiner Perkins offers I'm bound to receive?". (ha ha ok so, I'm exaggerating, but still..) :)

The "7 offers out of 1,000 applicants" and/or "roughly 1 person from each M7" metric is a valuable -- if sobering -- one to share. Thank you.
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 07:32
user54432 wrote:

This is the NOT the only thing you need to consider. Almost all of top 15 bschools also have a clause somewhere in their respective applications that states that you should not be enrolled in or already graduated from another bschool MBA program in USA. Make sure you understand this before you take the route of reapplication.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 10:29
Delited
GMAT Club Bot
Started lower tier MBA, should I reapply? &nbs [#permalink] 02 Oct 2018, 10:29

Started lower tier MBA, should I reapply?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap