Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1466 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6119 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Re: Starting GMAT Preparation [#permalink]
Supermaverick wrote:
I have started out with preparing for GMAT about 20 days early and finished the MGMAT SC guide once.Then I realized a GMAT study plan is must and searched the GMAT club forum for the same.Most of the post recommend taking the GMAT prep diagnostic test once before starting to prepare and determine the baseline score, But then I wondered, how could I score well on the diagnostic if I have not gone through any of the quant and verbal sections?. As a result the score will not be a great one.I still am to reason why it is necessary to give take GMATprep before even starting to prepare since one has not gone through even the basics of quant/vebal. Please throw some light on this line of reasoning.

From what I have read 3 months is an ideal time to study, so I have decided the below plan for my preparation:

Month 1: Verbal section:
Books: Mgmat Sc + e-gmat Sc(optional) + Powerscore Bible CR, Mgmat Rc + OG's for practicing
Month 2: Quant Section:
Books: All Mgmat quant guides + Quant OG's
Month 3: Verbal and Quant both
Here, in month three I would like to evaluate myself with appearing for mocks, Mgmat as well as Gmatprep along with practicing for weak area for improvement

Does the above plan look good? Or am I missing something that somebody would like to highlight. Expecting dome expert advice on this.

I think you need to learn the basic concept before taking the diagnostic. Since you get your initial score, you will know where to start.

Taking GMATPrep at the begining is optional. In fact, some people take GMATPrep at very first to estimate their overall score and judge their strengths as well as their weaknesses. However, GMATPrep offers limited free tests so you need to use it wisely. I think you could save it for the last, when you are going to take the real test.

There is no one assured that 3-months is an ideal time to study. The study plan adapted to individuals. Hence, I don't know wheather your plan is good or not. Just try it and you will know the best suit plan for you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 530 Q40 V23
GPA: 3.56
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Your plan seems okay. Just stick to it and update it time to time.

Here is an excellent 3 months study plan for beginners by magoosh boss Mike Mcgarry. You may look into it too.

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-gmat-study-schedule-for-beginners/
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Supermaverick,

To score at a high level on the GMAT, you have to have a variety of skills (more than just content knowledge) and the only way to properly assess whether you have those skills or not is to take FULL-LENGTH CATs under realistic conditions AND at regular intervals. That initial Diagnostic CAT Test will help to define some the 'weak spots' that you might need to work on - including pacing, endurance, focus, note-taking, stress, ability to 'let go' of a question, etc. Right now, we have no measure of your skill level in those areas and it's better to know about them earlier on (so that you can spend more time 'fixing' them) then discovering them too late in the process.

It would help to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot