Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:21 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

What do you think I should choose?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Starting my Own Business VS GMAT Prep for MBA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Welcome to GMAT Club.

You’re exactly pointing out that MBA is a means to an end goal. And there are many potential paths.

It is hard to make a choice one way or another but potentially these are two different options. I can see starting your own business is going to be a lot riskier but doing an MBA would require spending three years upfront. You can also start the business first and do an MBA later, could do an executive MBA or something like that....

Some people will have to be there own Boston but for others they prefer to go back home and not have a headache and not to worry about being able to make a living and would rather have a regular job.

In the long run, starting your own business is has the most risk but it also has the best payoff potential.... It is all about how long you want to wait and your risk appetite.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V23
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Re: Starting my Own Business VS GMAT Prep for MBA [#permalink]
IMO, MBA won't help you earn more through your business unless main means of business is making acquaintance with smart people with less money(AKA connection).

Unless you're starting multi billion dollar company from ground-0, your local partners will only care about your honesty and deals they get.

Going for a MBA degree can help you more money than you were making at cost of your time and money.

However, you already have a masters degree so it will help you get deals/communicate better/work in different field, not necessary
better paying jobs.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Great point. It seems you are considering an MBA as a way to move from one country to another in potentially make more money nominally but that may not be substantial substantial increase in actual wealth.

If you already have a well-paying job in one country, well it may be a half for even 1/10 of what you would be making in the US, the cost of living in the US is fairly high. If all you’re doing is trying to get a better paying job in the US, why not go for a top 20 or top 30 school with a scholarship?

Or why not do both?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot