GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 23:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Starting Thursday, Wal-Mart Stores is planning to offer free shipping

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Schools: ABCD
Starting Thursday, Wal-Mart Stores is planning to offer free shipping  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2011, 17:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:18) correct 55% (01:08) wrong based on 329 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Starting Thursday, Wal-Mart Stores is planning to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items, including many toys and electronics

A. is planning to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items, including

B. plan to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items, including

C. plans to offer free shipping on their Web site on almost 60,000 gift items, including

D. will plan to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items, including

E. is planning to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items, that include

Is "is planning" verb tense ok in A and E ? Can anyone please explain why..

Thanks
Voodoo
Director
Director
S
Re: Starting Thursday, Wal-Mart Stores is planning to offer free shipping  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2011, 21:45
I do not like this question. D is not wrong but because A is not wrong and the original choice, I choose A and live.
that include in E is wrong. including is a preposition already in this case.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Deloitte 3 yrs
WE 2: Prok going on
Re: Starting Thursday, Wal-Mart Stores is planning to offer free shipping  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2011, 03:46
Starting Thursday, Wal-Mart Stores is planning to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items, including many toys and electronics
A. is planning to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items, including
B. plan to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items, including
C. plans to offer free shipping on their Web site on almost 60,000 gift items, including
D. will plan to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items, including
E. is planning to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items, that include

If you ask me the usage is planning is incorrect, but if they are considering The Walmart Stores as a single entity then may be we can give it a thought. Anyways:
A. is planning to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items, including (Keep on hold)
B. plan to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items, including (Wrong..i hope you know why)
C. plans to offer free shipping on their Web site on almost 60,000 gift items, including (Wrong)
(plan is done for future..but planning in future sounds awkward to me)
E. is planning to offer free shipping on its Web site on almost 60,000 gift items, that include (keep on hold)

Now between A and E, Store is offering free shipping on 60000 gift items and those items include toys and electronics. here the usage of word that after items is not correct....either it should have been

items which include

or

item that includes

So I will go with A :)

Akhil Mittal

I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

If my post was helpful to you then encourage me by your kudos :)

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2011, 08:48
1. Wall Mart Stores is a name and a proper noun and hence singular.
2. Any event that is planned in the near future is better represented by a present tense rather than a future tense. Since it is Thursday around, present tense is good.
C, using the simple present, is ruled out because of the pronoun mismatch. Between A and E, E faults on punctuating with a comma before the restrictive pronoun ‘that’.
A is the choice

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2011, 02:59
Crap I missed the comma part before the restrictive clause that.
Went for E instead. Meaning wise A can mean both - either gifts or free shipping on website include toys and electronics.Ambiguous.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2014, 23:47
daagh wrote:
1. Wall Mart Stores is a name and a proper noun and hence singular.
2. Any event that is planned in the near future is better represented by a present tense rather than a future tense. Since it is Thursday around, present tense is good.
C, using the simple present, is ruled out because of the pronoun mismatch. Between A and E, E faults on punctuating with a comma before the restrictive pronoun ‘that’.
A is the choice

Hey Daagh,

Is this question correct ? The name of the store chain is Wal-Mart only, adding "stores" makes it plural. Can you clarify this please ?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2014, 23:56
I do agree that it is very confusing, and as a non-US citizen I also made the mistake of only seeing "Wal-Mart" or "Walmart" as a brand name, but as it seems, the official trademark/copyright is "© 2012 Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. All Rights Reserved." My source is the 'Terms of Use' page on Walmart's corporate website.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2016, 08:39
Nice question -

BW A and D ; A sounds better

cant think and understand the reason very well here

KINDLY KUDOS IF YOU LIKE THE POST

Manager
Manager
P
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 07:11
It's a poor quality question
non-native wont be able to have knowlege whether it is walmart or Walmart Stores
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2018, 14:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Starting Thursday, Wal-Mart Stores is planning to offer free shipping &nbs [#permalink] 18 Sep 2018, 14:25

Starting Thursday, Wal-Mart Stores is planning to offer free shipping

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap