It is currently 20 Aug 2017, 04:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

State X recently decided to cut state funding for the public

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

State X recently decided to cut state funding for the public [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2011, 08:28
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (02:23) correct 21% (01:05) wrong based on 255 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

State X recently decided to cut state funding for the public library system in County X. To help counteract this cut in funding, the county library system has increased library late fees from $.10 per day to $.12 per day. Since the fee increase, library administrators have seen no decline in the number of overdue books. The director of the county library system concludes that the fee hike has helped to counteract the cut in state funding.

Which of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the director’s claim?

(A) Since the fee increase, library administrators have noted a significant decrease in the number of books borrowed each day.

(B) The library system incurred minor costs to make its visitors aware of the late fee increase.

(C) Since the fee increase, there has been no significant change in the average number of days that books are overdue before they are returned.

(D) The library system in County X tracks its books through a very advanced database system, allowing library administrators to have access to very accurate statistics on the number of overdue books at any given time.

(E) Since the reduction in state funding, the library system in County X has eliminated 10% of its staff, creating a 2% reduction in costs.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 189 [1] , given: 46

Re: State X recently decided to cut state funding for the public [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2011, 11:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
C is right.

Argument: State funding stopped > library increased late fee from 10 cents to 12 > people did not change their habits of returning books late > with the increase in late fee, library compensated for state funding

to strengthen this argument, we want answer choice which will tell us that even if the late fee was increased, the income due to late fee charging remained same or increased.

A - Less books borrowed less profit. Weakens the argument.
B - Neutral to the argument
C - This tells us that people did not notice the change in late fee - right answer
D - out of scope
E - Neutral

Kudos [?]: 189 [1] , given: 46

Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2011, 13:31
Yeah i missed it.. i overlooked it..thought its E..But yeah correct answer should be C

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 57

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2011, 22:02
C for me :

1) Vague. Too broad.
2) Lends Little support.
3) Strong Support (no change in number of days overdue + sign)
4) OOS
5) May be : OOS

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 42

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 21

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2011, 04:57
I agree the answer is C.. However, I see that A can also strengthen the argument.

The library admins say that there has been no decline in the number of overdue books after the price change. A states that the number of books borrowed has decreased. It must imply that though the number of books borrowed has decreased significantly, and since the admins have not seen any decline in number of overdue books, I feel that A is strengthening the argument!

Let me know what's wrong in my idea..

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 21

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 242 [0], given: 87

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2014, 05:19
Picked B over C, because I felt that in C the borrowers may not be aware of the increase.

Can somebody help me why am I wrong?

Kudos [?]: 242 [0], given: 87

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 4

Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2014, 05:30
HI Gmatter,

This is a straight C.

You say in C that borrowers might not be aware of the increase. But why does that matter? When they return the book they will have to pay the increase, no matter what.

To state the obvious, the amount raised through late fees is

Price Per Day * Number of books * Number of days per book

We have info on the first two. C confirms for us the third one, so strengthens the case.

B however gives a COST to the process - this would be (if anything) a counter to the claim it makes money

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2014, 20:01
Option C.
State X has cut funding by some unknown amt.
County X seeks to replace that amt. with a late fee increase of a specific amt.Meanwhile no. of overdue books has not declined.Director concludes that cut in funding has been met.
The formula for calculation of total late fee earning=no. of overdue books*amt. of late fee*no of days. books are overdue.
C says avg. no of days books are overdue has not changed which eliminates the possibility that it has declined thereby strengthening the argument.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 29

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
G

Kudos [?]: 15373 [0], given: 1943

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2016, 03:35
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
State X recently decided to cut state funding for the public library system in County X. To help counteract this cut in funding, the county library system has increased library late fees from $.10 per day to $.12 per day. Since the fee increase, library administrators have seen no decline in the number of overdue books. The director of the county library system concludes that the fee hike has helped to counteract the cut in state funding. Which of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the director’s claim?

A. Since the fee increase, library administrators have noted a significant decrease in the number of books borrowed each day.

B. The library system incurred minor costs to make its visitors aware of the late fee increase.

C. Since the fee increase, there has been no significant change in the average number of days that books are overdue before they are returned.

D. The library system in County X tracks its books through a very advanced database system, allowing library administrators to have access to very accurate statistics on the number of overdue books at any given time.

E. Since the reduction in state funding, the library system in County X has eliminated 10% of its staff, creating a 2% reduction in costs.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 15373 [0], given: 1943

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 65

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2016, 04:31
State X recently decided to cut state funding for the public library system in County X. To help counteract this cut in funding, the county library system has increased library late fees from $.10 per day to $.12 per day. Since the fee increase, library administrators have seen no decline in the number of overdue books. The director of the county library system concludes that the fee hike has helped to counteract the cut in state funding. Which of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the director’s claim?

A. Since the fee increase, library administrators have noted a significant decrease in the number of books borrowed each day.

B. The library system incurred minor costs to make its visitors aware of the late fee increase.

C. Since the fee increase, there has been no significant change in the average number of days that books are overdue before they are returned.

D. The library system in County X tracks its books through a very advanced database system, allowing library administrators to have access to very accurate statistics on the number of overdue books at any given time.

E. Since the reduction in state funding, the library system in County X has eliminated 10% of its staff, creating a 2%
reduction in costs.

Let's us assume that average number of days for overdued books------10 days

Now late fine--------> 0.1 dollar. It will come to 0.1x10 = 1 USD (income for library)

So,

Option C strengthens the conclusion.

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 65

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2016, 06:44
sun01 wrote:

E. Since the reduction in state funding, the library system in County X has eliminated 10% of its staff, creating a 2%
reduction in costs.

Let's us assume that average number of days for overdued books------10 days

Now late fine--------> 0.1 dollar. It will come to 0.1x10 = 1 USD (income for library)

So,

Option C strengthens the conclusion.

: I thought B can also be a considered. But Once i read C, I didn't have any doubt. C is correct!

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 36

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2016, 07:54
We have to prove that the increased late fee is enough to fill the gap of funding.

(c) and (E) only talks about cost and fee

(C) it removes the possibility that the late fee collected by library is decreasing anyway because of the change
If total late fee = overdue days * late fee per day
then to increase the late fee we have to increase both overdue days and late fee per day proportionately
but if overdue days keeps on declining ( may be because the book borrowers wants to save some money by returning the book early) then the total late fee will go down. So this explains the scenario and hence the answer

(E) it talks about reducing the cost but not equalizing the fundings

The Mind ~ Muscle Connection
My GMAT Journey is Complete.Going to start the MBA in Information Management from 2016
Good Luck everyone.

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 36

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2016, 06:28
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2016, 06:18
This is a curve ball from gmat prep. It says that the number of books remains same and that no negative consequence of the spending has occured on the revenue
This will only happen if the number of days the book is overdue increases.
Therefore AC C is the answer.
Assumption = gthere ahs to be something that will offset the cuts

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 4

Schools: Schulich '16

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2016, 06:34
let me help here.
Some tips first- Pre-Thinking always helps. after reading the argument pls do a pre-thinking after reading the question stem.See exactly what the question is asking.

here the argument says that the director , tp counteract the funding has increased fees on overdue books. In the last statement he says this has helped to counteract the problem of funding.

what does the above boldface mean in numbers
i.e if they were getting $100 of funding before , now also after the funding stopped and late fees increased they are able to get $100 back.This implies people are taking books from library and students who always overdue them, suppose for 10 days they will also overdue for same number of days after the fee hike.This is how the library will re-coup their money.Now look at the answer choices and see how easy is to eliminate .

A. Since the fee increase, library administrators have noted a significant decrease in the number of books borrowed each day.this weakens

B. The library system incurred minor costs to make its visitors aware of the late fee increase.out of scope

EXACTLY what i wrote above

D. The library system in County X tracks its books through a very advanced database system, allowing library administrators to have access to very accurate statistics on the number of overdue books at any given time.irrelevant

reduction in costs.we are not talking of removing staff nor mentioned in argument.

Answer is C

Pre thinking helps.It takes time at start but with practice you are able to average it between 10-15 sec for any problem.

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 4

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 840

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 02:47
Amazing explanation folks!!!

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 840

Re: State X recently decided to cut state funding for the public   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2017, 02:47