Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [9]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 281
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 477
Send PM
Re: States hit hardest by losses in manufacturing jobs are in a [#permalink]
MentorTutoring

Can you pls explain this question

I chose C as the answer

Thanks in advance
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
GDT wrote:
MentorTutoring

Can you pls explain this question

I chose C as the answer

Thanks in advance

Hello, GDT. The question is deceptively simple, perhaps the reason that, as of this writing, it stands at a 95% difficulty level. If you just follow the keywords, though, it is pretty straightforward. (I answered correctly in under a minute and a half, but as you know from our ongoing dialogue, I work on these upper-level questions all the time.) Since we need to fill in the blank, there is nothing to discuss, really, in the way of a question. Rather, we need to follow up on the premise that certain states are in a strong position to recover employment opportunities by expanding into the "green energy" sector. How so?

arps wrote:
States hit hardest by losses in manufacturing jobs are in a strong position to recover employment opportunities by expanding into the “green energy” sector. Existing infrastructure and transportation systems put these states in a position to adapt quickly and __________________________________ .

Which of the following, completes the passage ?

arps wrote:
(A) begin manufacturing materials and finished renewable energy products.

It seems fitting to use green to refer to renewable energy. There are two parts to this answer that make its justification ironclad. First, notice the word begin. I know it might seem insignificant, but the passage mentions expanding into a certain sector, adding that certain states can adapt quickly. Adapt what, you might ask. Whether you favor an interpretation that these states need to adapt to the loss of employment in manufacturing or to adapt their existing infrastructure and transportation systems to become more green, it is clear that change is in the air, and begin conveys such a change. The latter part, about renewable energy, completes the setup of expanding into the "green energy" sector. You could argue that the terms renewable energy and green energy are not well-established synonyms, requiring a little background knowledge to put together, but I think green associations have been discussed widely enough for long enough that we should probably feel pretty comfortable with such usage.

arps wrote:
(B) take advantage of tax rebates offered for green businesses.

Why tax rebates specifically? The passage is concerned with shifting an existing manufacturing model into a greener one. The businesses would need to convert first, and tax rebates associated with such a change are not the primary consideration here.

arps wrote:
(C) regain jobs lost due to a slowdown in the manufacturing industry.

I do not typically negate an entire answer choice, but this one just misses the mark. Because the conjunction and is being used just before the blank without a comma, we can conclude that it is joining two ideas, as in, A and B, rather than joining two independent clauses. What are the only two notions brought up in the passage? First, that certain states are well positioned to recover manufacturing jobs, and second, that jobs can be recovered by going green, more or less. The earlier part of the last sentence of the passage checks the box about certain states being in a position to recover, so this answer choice is redundant, failing to deliver on the why from the setup: once again, by expanding into the "green energy" sector.

arps wrote:
(D) continue manufacturing wind turbines and other products popular in the green energy sector.

If these states are already manufacturing such items yet jobs are being lost, then how will continuing the process make anything better? Like produces like. Just as I focused earlier on begin in choice (A), I think it is worth considering just what continue conveys here.

arps wrote:
(E) start an aggressive research process to determine the viability of green energy in the area.

We are not concerned with the viability of green energy. Rather, the passage presents expanding into green energy as a ticket to recovering lost manufacturing jobs. Also, what are we to make of an aggressive research process? Can other states only conduct less aggressive research? Besides, unless the jobless manufacturing employees were conducting the research, then it is hard to see how this answer choice would help such workers recover employment opportunities in the immediate future.

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
Send PM
Existing infrastructure and transportation systems put these states in a position to adapt quickly and __________________________________ .

what you will do by adapting to the available facilities ==> will start manufacturing the products first

the final effect will be to regain the lost jobs

So, the first event will be Option A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 1165
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Tech)
Send PM
The premise states "to recover employment opportunities by expanding into the “green energy” sector." which means to begin something new. Only option A mentions to begin new manufacturation.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts