GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 21:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Stern (Full Ride) Vs. Kellogg

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Stern (Full Ride) Vs. Kellogg  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Mar 2019, 06:42
Background:
An engineer with Non-TargeT UG/Masters program degrees
UG GPA: 3.31
GMAT: 720 (Q49 V40)
Post-MBA: Consulting (MBB)
W/E: 4 years
Current Sector: Telecommunications - Technical Role

I am happy to have gotten into Stern & Kellogg but I am really stuck with this decision.

NYU Pros over Kellogg?:
- I do not have formal business WE so being able to do a Fall/Spring internship while taking classes will be beneficial. I am not sure if I will be able to do this at Kellogg
- Strong Media/Entertainment presence: I believe a Spring Internship in a Media/Entertainment Company + My Telecomms background may make me a stronger candidate because then I may fall in the TMT bucket. Is this the right assumption?
- Being in NY may make networking somewhat easier but with a little caveat I touch on later
- Full Scholarship

Kellogg Pros Over Stern?:
- Kellogg is a Consulting powerhouse for MBB. On the other hand, they barely recruit from Stern
- Stronger brand
- Without a "Strong" Consulting background, I believe Kellogg may give me that edge I need to break into Consulting, especially MBB

Also, which of these 2 have a stronger brand outside the US since I plan to relocate eventually?

Thank you guys for your help with this!

Originally posted by thekojoway on 23 Mar 2019, 18:04.
Last edited by thekojoway on 25 Mar 2019, 06:42, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Stern '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Re: Stern (Full Ride) Vs. Kellogg  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 03:35
Awesome spot you're in! I'll be going to Stern on full ride this Fall, so might be slightly biased.
I'd say you can't go wrong either way, but choose based on your financial comfort level. Sure, Kellogg sends many more people to MBB and you have a higher chance there. However, you still have a decent shot at MBB/other consulting from Stern and will not have $140K (it's really 200K+ before tax amount) of debt. Plus, consulting recruiting seems like once you're in the interview, it's about you but not the school you went to.

I am super debt averse because I have seen what debt can do to people (lawyer friends who went to top 10 law school on 200K debt, hate big law but can't get out because of loans, living misery and feeling suicidal for the past 2 years). Like I said, I think it's really down to how you feel about the 140K(really 200K) debt.
Consortium Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2019, 01:46
Agree with other post. Its hard to pass up full ride for marginal difference. That full ride gives you degrees of freedom that you would not have paying full price (e.g. going traditional job to amortize debt)

Posted from my mobile device
S
Schools: Duke '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2019, 15:09
Congrats! While I agree that you can't go super wrong here...I would have to disagree with the posters above. Given your goal, and how competitive it is, Kellogg should be the front-runner here. As I'm sure you know, they are a consulting powerhouse and more generally a tier above stern. If your goal were in finance I would say take the money, but this is a situation where you probably want to give yourself the best shot, and even if you miss out on MBB you will have a fantastic shot at tier 2 consulting. Even for schools in a similar "tier" (Darden/Duke/Ross) NYU falls a little shy on the consulting front. Any reasons those weren't on your list?

It's a good problem to have, but it's hard to look past Kellogg given your goals.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Anderson '21 (A)

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 11:20
A full ride is obviously very attractive. But your post-MBA goal is MBB consulting, which is extremely competitive. If you are serious about it, i think Kellogg will give you the advantage that Stern couldn't in MBB recruiting. But if you are open to tier 2 consulting, take the money at Stern.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2019, 14:31
If you look at the employment reports for Kellogg, it looks like it’s losing its past glory for being the top most school for Consulting.
Surprisingly, the 2018 employment report has both Stern and Kellogg ties at $147k median consulting salaries which indicates that they’re tied at it. In fact, Stern might have a better year end average salary because of higher Finance and Tech recruiting and finance and tech having better signing and year end bonuses. Look at their 3 month % job offers and accepted jobs too.

Kellogg has been losing to Booth and Stern has been gaining against Columbia.

So both Kellogg and Stern seem equally good for consulting per 2018 employment reports

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2019, 19:04
JohnJohnJ wrote:
If you look at the employment reports for Kellogg, it looks like it’s losing its past glory for being the top most school for Consulting.
Surprisingly, the 2018 employment report has both Stern and Kellogg ties at $147k median consulting salaries which indicates that they’re tied at it. In fact, Stern might have a better year end average salary because of higher Finance and Tech recruiting and finance and tech having better signing and year end bonuses. Look at their 3 month % job offers and accepted jobs too.

Kellogg has been losing to Booth and Stern has been gaining against Columbia.

So both Kellogg and Stern seem equally good for consulting per 2018 employment reports

This is patently false. Look at the employment reports for each school and alumni on LinkedIn. You sound jaded with personal reasons. Kellogg continues to excel at its strengths against NYU (and Booth) and will likely provide more value longer term. That said a full ride is hard to pass up and will signal to recruiters you're a comparatively higher performer. Congratulations OP, you can't go wrong with either option.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2019, 19:33
Kellogg has the second highest number of CEOs among Fortune 500 companies. However, trailing numbers aren’t a good indicator of future state numbers.

Median salary for consulting at Booth is $150k and Kellogg is $147k (3 month employment offer is 95% and 30% went to consulting) (From the 2018 employment report, Booth is definitely better than Kellogg)

Median salary for fo consulting at NYU is also $147k. (3 month employment offer is 95.4% and 28% went to consulting - significantly higher went to finance from Stern)

On a side note - in 2018, the salaries offered by MBBs was > $150k + $25-30k signing bonus.

Now, I’m not an expert at this-I’m only using numbers, data and information provided in employment reports to give recommendations.

I feel employment reports are the best indicator of a schools ability to create value. Rankings (US News, FT, Bloomberg... use some weird surveys and untraceable data collected), M7 and Ivy are a scam, only employment reports make sense. Some schools even scam by showing lower % of offers accepted to drive up the median salary.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Stern (Full Ride) Vs. Kellogg   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2019, 19:33

Stern (Full Ride) Vs. Kellogg

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, teleste