GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 13:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Stern vs Ross (no $)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which one?

• 44% [11]
  • 56% [14]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Stern '20 (M)
Stern vs Ross (no $)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 01:54
Hi everyone,

I have been accepted at Stern and Ross for the full-time MBA programs (with no money from either). Really happy to be in this situation but I’ve been breaking my head over where to go. Hopefully, you guys can help.

I am an Indian media professional with 6+ years of experience in a Research & Strategy role. Looking at the MBA to transition into Consulting (generalist or media/entertainment boutiques). Another area I would want to explore would be the intersection of content and technology - Amazon (Video), Google (YouTube), Disney and maybe even Apple with their upcoming foray into original content.

NYU Stern

Pros:
- Established EMT specialization; good presence of leading entertainment companies and media consulting firms on campus (not sure how many are open to internationals though).
- The New York location would be really helpful in meeting industry professionals and possible recruiters.
- The NYU Stern brand is decently well-known in India (where I would return ideally 5-10 years post MBA), primarily because of its long-established reputation for Wall Street.
- Consulting recruitments are on the rise and the school has a good reputation for that among top business schools
- Might not sound that important, but it has some well-known professors and that’s a definite ‘feel-good’ – Aswath Damodaran (My grip on Finance and all things related is lousy at best and I want to change that with my MBA), Scott Galloway (even Media folks in Mumbai know him!), Greg Coleman etc.

Cons:
- A big portion of the student community is interested in investment banking and I’m a little wary of being with folks that I have no shared career interests with.
- The rankings of the school are rather erratic – doesn’t look like that’s a top priority for the school. I know rankings can be deceptive, but don’t they play a role in how your degree is perceived?
- NYC will be expensive; I’d be spending around $15-20K more than I would be spending at a school like Ross.

Michigan Ross

Pros:
- A strong Consulting school and also one of the top schools for Amazon every year.
- Very strong placement statistics – 97% employed with 3 months of graduation for internationals.
- A school on the rise – Ross’s ranking rose to #7 this year and while I know it might drop to 11 or 12 next year (who knows), it cannot be denied that Dean DeRue and the rest of the administration are doing something right.
- Evidence of a warm and friendly student community – students (even to-be) seem to love the school, and the outreach has been impressive - I’ve had current students reach out to me and ask if I need help, which was great.

Cons
- I’m worried my past experience might not give me any advantage at Ross. I’d be competing with ex-MBBs and other big-company folks for generalist roles at top Consulting firms. Also, I’ll be 33 by the time I graduate, and my age might make me less appealing to top firms looking for generalists?
- The Ann Arbor location might be a pain if I try for off-campus recruiting – might have to travel to New York/LA which can end up costing me as much as Stern.
- Weaker brand (?) than Stern in India, especially for my field of interest.

That’s about it. Curious to know what you guys think. And if there are aspects I have missed for either school, do let me know.

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Stern vs Ross (no $)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 10:20
Congratulations on getting into both programs!
Also, thank you for doing a good amount of researching and sharing it here. (Interesting to learn that Ross is potentially less prestigious in India than Stern). Always fascinates me how brands manage to position themselves in different geographies.

Stern had an issue with rankings (they were late submitting them or they mis-keyed the numbers and tumbled in the rankings about 3 years ago... they have been trying to get back ever since (were as low as 21). They have been doing a good job at it. Media is definitely New York. Netflix, NBC, HBO, and everyone who does business with them are in New York. Being at Stern, you will likely have a better luck. However, it is not a guarantee and I am not sure if you can count on Meida jobs - those tend to be very competitive.

Ross also has been climbing and broke into the top 10 this year. Ross is much stronger in Tech and Media though some of those jobs are very competitive. I would consider your experience as a positive. However, you need to have global brand name experience, not local companies, for it to really count.

Neither program is as sexy as Kellogg, Booth, or Tuck but I am not sure those are really known in India either. (this may be a good research question for us to do a research). I would say it is a choice between banking on possibility of breaking into media in New York (Stern) or Ross that has more people focused on Tech and Consulting.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 11:06
bb wrote:
Congratulations on getting into both programs!
Also, thank you for doing a good amount of researching and sharing it here. (Interesting to learn that Ross is potentially less prestigious in India than Stern). Always fascinates me how brands manage to position themselves in different geographies.

Stern had an issue with rankings (they were late submitting them or they mis-keyed the numbers and tumbled in the rankings about 3 years ago... they have been trying to get back ever since (were as low as 21). They have been doing a good job at it. Media is definitely New York. Netflix, NBC, HBO, and everyone who does business with them are in New York. Being at Stern, you will likely have a better luck. However, it is not a guarantee and I am not sure if you can count on Meida jobs - those tend to be very competitive.

Ross also has been climbing and broke into the top 10 this year. Ross is much stronger in Tech and Media though some of those jobs are very competitive. I would consider your experience as a positive. However, you need to have global brand name experience, not local companies, for it to really count.

Neither program is as sexy as Kellogg, Booth, or Tuck but I am not sure those are really known in India either. (this may be a good research question for us to do a research). I would say it is a choice between banking on possibility of breaking into media in New York (Stern) or Ross that has more people focused on Tech and Consulting.

Thanks for this detailed reply, BB. How would you rate Stern on Consulting? I know the raw numbers look better for Ross but that might also be a factor of not many people targetting Consulting as a career at Stern.
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 11:13
I would pick Ross if I were you. I am in the same boat and have admits from both. While Ross is super well known for Amazon, from second hand but reliable information, it is pretty hard to get into Amazon from Ross because everybody wants to go to Amazon at Ross. It is not the same thing for consulting and it is not a consulting school as you mentioned - I would keep that title for Kellogg and Tuck. So it it's consulting that's on your mind, Ross (through numbers and their sheer effort of building better recruitment everywhere) should be your pick.

However, if NYC and finance is your thing, Stern is just a stronger school. Even if you look at the top CFOs of the world, I could see most of them from HBS or Stern (weird, right!). Coming to tech, there are only 2 big tech companies that come to both campuses - Microsoft and Amazon. Google is weird and Facebook does not give visas to international MBAs. So the NYC location maybe super useful if you want to get into niche tech companies and Stern makes a lot more sense then.

Finally, I have spoken to both the student communities, and I loved Ross. It is not to say that I did not love Stern, but the Ross community made me feel at home instantly, before and after I had that admit.

Hope this helps at all. I am set for Ross, so I am probably biased.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 11:35
Any chance you can leverage either admit for a scholarship?

It can be done if played carefully.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 13:07
souvik101990 wrote:
I would pick Ross if I were you. I am in the same boat and have admits from both. While Ross is super well known for Amazon, from second hand but reliable information, it is pretty hard to get into Amazon from Ross because everybody wants to go to Amazon at Ross. It is not the same thing for consulting and it is not a consulting school as you mentioned - I would keep that title for Kellogg and Tuck. So it it's consulting that's on your mind, Ross (through numbers and their sheer effort of building better recruitment everywhere) should be your pick.

However, if NYC and finance is your thing, Stern is just a stronger school. Even if you look at the top CFOs of the world, I could see most of them from HBS or Stern (weird, right!). Coming to tech, there are only 2 big tech companies that come to both campuses - Microsoft and Amazon. Google is weird and Facebook does not give visas to international MBAs. So the NYC location maybe super useful if you want to get into niche tech companies and Stern makes a lot more sense then.

Finally, I have spoken to both the student communities, and I loved Ross. It is not to say that I did not love Stern, but the Ross community made me feel at home instantly, before and after I had that admit.

Hope this helps at all. I am set for Ross, so I am probably biased.

Thanks for the inputs, Souvik. The Ross community definitely makes you feel at home - can't argue with that.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 13:08
ia989 wrote:
Any chance you can leverage either admit for a scholarship?

It can be done if played carefully.

Tried, didn't work. But not going to give up on that :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 00:36
All the best - two great options and you would do well in both.

Over the next three months, focus on preparing yourself, in body, mind and skillsets on why you actually want to go for an MBA. Being driven and clear in your goals will be more important than which school you choose.

Its a long and arduous 2 year journey, the success of which is on you - so good luck!

Red
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 02:18
red989 wrote:
All the best - two great options and you would do well in both.

Over the next three months, focus on preparing yourself, in body, mind and skillsets on why you actually want to go for an MBA. Being driven and clear in your goals will be more important than which school you choose.

Its a long and arduous 2 year journey, the success of which is on you - so good luck!

Red

Thanks for the encouragement, Red!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Stern vs Ross (no $) &nbs [#permalink] 02 Apr 2018, 02:18

Stern vs Ross (no $)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap