Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Booth (admitted R1), NYU (interview Mar 4), UT (withdrawn), Rice (admitted R2) plus dings at HBS, Stanford, Wharton and CBS
 Q45  V46
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Oil and gas
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: structuring [#permalink]
This is a sad combination of economic conditions and general industry trends. Many IBs are looking at undergrads to bring through the ranks for pure trading roles. Many ex legal background type folks are getting internships in structuring but probably more in the areas 3under suggested above. I have met some MBAs who got into trading, but that was well in the past (and these MBAs had strong quanty backgrounds). As an MBA, expecting a pure trading job straight out is highly optimistic (unless of course you already were a trader).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hey bsd_lover, is that the case also for LBS? I thought it was incredibly well plugged-in to the City. Are you enjoying it there?

How much trading background is "enough" to be considered competitive for that job?

Geez. The outlook is pretty bleak. The one industry/function I'm interested in basically doesn't hire MBAs... Great.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Send PM
The school is indeed incredibly well plugged in and I have enjoyed every moment of my experience here;

However pure trading jobs are among the toughest to get into and there are tons of folks usually in school that have very relevant experiences (eg. middle office, trading, Sales or structuring from legal side). Basically don't expect to walk into a trading job, you'll need to prove yourself first. London and NYC also have several Hedge Funds which provide an alternative start if you can manage to get in.

Usually the way banks recruit is via HR as a first point of CV cleansing. These people have some set stereotypes in mind and you need to get past them to even get an interview. So you'll need to network your ass off to have even the remotest chance. Having said that, if you want it bad enough then you'll figure out a way.

osbornecox wrote:
Hey bsd_lover, is that the case also for LBS? I thought it was incredibly well plugged-in to the City. Are you enjoying it there?

How much trading background is "enough" to be considered competitive for that job?

Geez. The outlook is pretty bleak. The one industry/function I'm interested in basically doesn't hire MBAs... Great.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
The school is indeed incredibly well plugged in and I have enjoyed every moment of my experience here;

However pure trading jobs are among the toughest to get into and there are tons of folks usually in school that have very relevant experiences (eg. middle office, trading, Sales or structuring from legal side). Basically don't expect to walk into a trading job, you'll need to prove yourself first. London and NYC also have several Hedge Funds which provide an alternative start if you can manage to get in.

Usually the way banks recruit is via HR as a first point of CV cleansing. These people have some set stereotypes in mind and you need to get past them to even get an interview. So you'll need to network your ass off to have even the remotest chance. Having said that, if you want it bad enough then you'll figure out a way.

osbornecox wrote:

Hey bsd_lover, thanks for your response. I'm glad to hear that LBS has worked out for you really well. My first goal is to work in NYC, so I'm not hitting the European schools, but if I were to change my mind, I definitely would give them a try.

That's interesting to note that HR screens CVs looking for "stereotypes". I'm on an uphill battle then. I honestly feel I could land straight-up IB or MC with my background without having to be particularly creative in my networking and selling, and there are even some contacts I have at research-driven PEs and HFs that would probably open the door for me if my MBA was "brand-worthy" enough. Unfortunately, the one thing I'm really gunning for seems so out of reach!

Well, I guess it's not all written in stone yet. Still something I could do.

Have you been hitting banks or the buyside?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Well in reality I dont know what the HR do - I'm speaking from anecdotal expereinces (in terms of folks who get interviewed and who didn't). I managed to secure a couple of S&T interviews due to networking; my profile is anything but typical. But it was never in doubt that folks with the more relavant backgrounds were going to get the jobs. Its incredibly tough as a career switcher in this climate. However, networking can make a difference so dont be discouraged. However to network effectively you need to be in the spot; its amazing that Chicago folks manage to network with Wall st. - much respect..

For personal reasons I wont go into where / what I'm doing over the summer. But let me put it this way - if you want it bad enough, you'll figure out a way. The toughest door to open is always the first one.

osbornecox wrote:
Hey bsd_lover, thanks for your response. I'm glad to hear that LBS has worked out for you really well. My first goal is to work in NYC, so I'm not hitting the European schools, but if I were to change my mind, I definitely would give them a try.

That's interesting to note that HR screens CVs looking for "stereotypes". I'm on an uphill battle then. I honestly feel I could land straight-up IB or MC with my background without having to be particularly creative in my networking and selling, and there are even some contacts I have at research-driven PEs and HFs that would probably open the door for me if my MBA was "brand-worthy" enough. Unfortunately, the one thing I'm really gunning for seems so out of reach!

Well, I guess it's not all written in stone yet. Still something I could do.

Have you been hitting banks or the buyside?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92945 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts