Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:57 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.28
WE:Corporate Finance (Accounting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Stuck at 680. Looking to move to 720 in two weeks. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi davidtherring,

Based on this last post, it sounds like your biggest 'opportunity' to pick up points is not in any specific subject, but in your general precision (note-taking, organization, doing work 'on the pad' instead of doing it in your head, etc.). The GMAT is remarkably good at giving Test Takers the score that they've earned, so it might help to think in those terms. What you YOU willing to do to earn the correct answer? The good news is that most GMAT questions don't require that much actual 'work', so you just have to police yourself and demand that little bit of extra note-taking and effort.

With 2 weeks to go before Test Day, you don't need to do 'tons of reps', but your Quant Scaled Scores show that you'd probably benefit by focusing on Quant Tactics a bit more.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
Send PM
Stuck at 680. Looking to move to 720 in two weeks. [#permalink]
Hello davidtherring,

My suggestion is to make sure that you are carefully using process of elimination to make the most informed decision on questions you are unsure of. My process includes actually writing A B C D E on note pad and crossing as I go along. While this may make no difference, it helps me to focus and pick up on smaller differences between two choices. This is a personal suggestion that I have found to be helpful in verbal.

Another thing, do you have anything that breaks down your performance in subsection (i.e. RC, SC and CR)? I thought I was very poor at RC, and only after looking at others did I realize I was also weak in SC. Keep in mind that any test has a margin of error and you have range to go either way. In other words, a 680 may have initially been at the top of your abilities and may be now at the bottom end of what you are capable of doing.

Also, I see that you have only taken 1 GMATPrep test. These are generally considered to be the highest quality practice tests there are. In my opinion, it is probably worth it to buy at least 1 exam pack from GMAT. That should give you 3 GMATPrep tests to take before the actual exam. They are expensive at $50 for the two tests, but you honestly do not want to cheap out on the prep. Just think, it is $250 if you have to retake!

Best,
lin
Intern
Intern
Send PM
All,

I took my raw stats from my previous test (only had time to jot down quant right now since my splits are pretty clear for verbal - doing well on CR/RC and getting killed by SC). Should help break out the data a little more. I also don't think it helped that the only 750-800 questions I got in the entire section were both at the end of the exam and I got them both wrong :|

I never really thought about using an error log and recording all of my data, but I think that's the best bet to highlight my weak areas.
Attachments

GMAT Error Log.xlsx [10.6 KiB]
Downloaded 45 times

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
Send PM
I believe the plan you have is good. As I said earlier, it may be worth taking another GMATPrep test to see if you are still at 680. Also, you mentioned you are not doing as well at the SC. Have you used the GMATclub verbal guide? It is a free download and is very helpful. If not, I highly recommend going through and doing all of the exercises.

Looking at your error log, I am seeing quite a few careless errors. How is your timing on the test? Try to make sure that you are not going so fast on ones you know that you wind up missing them

Finally, you are not that far from your goal.

lin
GMAT Club Bot