Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Student interaction - a must for essays? [#permalink]
As a counter point...I did use student interaction and a lot more personal experience with Chicago and I got a straightup ding.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
adcxaway wrote:
Ok. I know how the theory goes, put in the student interactions that you've made over the application process to show the effort that you've put in to learn about the school and see whether you're a fit or not.

But is it necessary? I've read 2 essays - admit to Chicago/Wharton that didn't do that.

Is it ideal? Or is it an application myth? The Wharton admit said that while student interaction wasn't in the essay, it was brought up during the interview.

I dunno. I had the exact same Wharton experience... didn't mention any student interactions in my essays, because I hadn't had a chance to visit the school yet. I did visit shortly after I submitted, though, and was able to talk about the students I met at my interview. On the s2s board, the Adcom and students make it clear that visits and student interactions aren't necessary for a successful application. As long as you can somehow make a compelling case for "Why Wharton," you should be fine.

For some other schools (Sloan and Haas come to mind), I think it is a bigger deal... but I don't think it's a deal-breaker if you're unable to work it into your essays.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I think it depends on situations too. I think if you lived in chicago but never visited NW or GSB then that is going to kill your chances. Live within a several hour drive then you have NO excuse for at least visiting and meeting someone. If you live across the country or in another country entirely then its not gonna be as big of an issue.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
i probably mentioned 5 people by name in my chicago essay, and several in my wharton essay. only 1 in my sloan cover letter
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
I generally mention the names of people I spoke with in relation to the clubs, programs, professors, and activities I learn about the school. That is because I did most of my school research by talking to students and alums, and did quite a few visits for each school (only one for Kellogg). So far I've gotten into UCLA and have an interview with Haas. We'll see if it works for Kellogg and Stanford.

I would say as long as you show you did your homework on the school, really learned about their programs, interacted with their students/alum/adcom at either infosessions or visits, you're fine. Many Kellogg students I spoke with did NOT visit Kellogg and got accepted, but then you have schools like UCLA which rejected someone because they never visited (they probably sensed that they were a "backup" school).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
then you have schools like UCLA which rejected someone because they never visited (they probably sensed that they were a "backup" school).

Thats a great point...a lot of the schools in the 10-20 range have to be weary of applicants who have a good chance of getting into a top 5 school. No one wants to know they are someones backup plan.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
I think there's a tendency to boil these applications down to a VERY long list of "stuff to do." Some of it is key (take the gmat, research the school) but a lot of it is merely good or helpful. If you've talked to students and it fits into your essay, then by all means. But if you haven't, then put it other stuff. It's probably not a make or break.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
I did a lot of my school research based on informational interviews with students and alumni. I definitely mentioned some of them into the essays (though not all). I also made sure it wasn't forced.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
I mentioned a few GSB'ers in my application because I got to know them very well. They were interns in the strategic planning department at work and I would always be asking them questions over IM or lunch, so I wanted to mention how much their insight impacted me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I never touched the subject in my essays. Honestly, I never even thought about mentioning student interaction at all. I was more worried about telling my story and what I knew about the school and how it would fit. I wasn't worried about telling them how I knew that information. Granted, it did come up in my interview, but I think that's because my interviewer saw me coming out of a class that I got to sit in on that morning. I really don't think its a must for essays.
GMAT Club Bot