GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 15:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

     December 11, 2018

     December 11, 2018

     09:00 PM EST

     10:00 PM EST

    Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     December 13, 2018

     December 13, 2018

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Status: Preparing GMAT
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 1915
Location: Pakistan
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests
Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Nov 2018, 11:04
1
15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

27% (01:08) correct 73% (01:29) wrong based on 477 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unless the administration allows the band director to keep his teaching position rather than forcing him to retire at the end of the school year. If the band director continues to teach at the high school, however, then the administration will have to eliminate one of the new coaching positions it planned for next year. So, the new coaching position will be eliminated.

The conclusion stated in the passage above is properly drawn if which one of the following assumptions is made?

(A) Students will drop out of the band program.
(B) The administration will insist that the high school band director retire.
(C) The students will not boycott graduation ceremonies.
(D) The administration has the authority to allow the band director to keep his teaching position.
(E) The high school students will not drop their threat to boycott graduation ceremonies if other student benefits are offered.

Source: Nova GMAT
Difficulty Level: 750

_________________

Final days of the GMAT Exam? => All GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = Press +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!


Originally posted by SajjadAhmad on 10 Apr 2017, 11:22.
Last edited by SajjadAhmad on 27 Nov 2018, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
Most Helpful Community Reply
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Status: Preparing GMAT
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 1915
Location: Pakistan
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests
Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Dec 2018, 06:14
4
1
arvind910619 wrote:
Hi Please explain why C is the correct answer


Here is the comprehensive explanation

Remember, “A unless B” is the equivalent of ~B—>A. The first sentence in the passage can be depicted as ~BD—>BG where B D stands for “the administration allows the band director to keep his teaching position” and BG stands for “Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies.” The second sentence contains an implied if-then statement. It can be stated as follows: “If the administration allows the band director to keep his teaching position, then it will have to eliminate one of the new coaching positions.” This can be depicted as BD—>EC Of course, EC stands for “it will have to eliminate one of the new coaching positions.” As presented, the two diagrammed statements cannot be connected. However, let’s suppose the high school students do not boycott graduation ceremonies, which is selection (C). If we apply the contrapositive to the first diagram, ~BD—>BG, the statement becomes ~BG—>BD Then we can use the transitive property to combine ~BG—>BD with BD—>EC to yield the following diagram: ~BG—>EC That is, if the students don’t boycott graduation ceremonies, then a new coaching position will be eliminated. Thus, the correct assumption is that the students will not boycott graduation ceremonies. The answer is selection (C).
_________________

Final days of the GMAT Exam? => All GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = Press +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!


Originally posted by SajjadAhmad on 11 Apr 2017, 10:51.
Last edited by SajjadAhmad on 07 Dec 2018, 06:14, edited 2 times in total.
General Discussion
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1067
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 18:07
Hi Please explain why C is the correct answer
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 Mar 2015
Posts: 102
Location: India
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GPA: 3.59
Reviews Badge
Re: Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 09:47
I'm confused between c and d , then thought d is more important because if there is no authority to allow the band director to keep his teaching position , then conclusion cannot be drawn
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Feb 2015
Posts: 358
Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 10:28
i fail to understand what missing link C fills in this question!
IMO,
it cant be the right answer!
D is a better choice.
sayantanc2k your thoughts please!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Apr 2017
Posts: 8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 13:32
I still don't understand why its C not D.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 Mar 2015
Posts: 102
Location: India
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GPA: 3.59
Reviews Badge
Re: Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2017, 07:35
SajjadAhmad wrote:
arvind910619 wrote:
Hi Please explain why C is the correct answer


Here is the comprehensive explanation

Remember, “A unless B” is the equivalent
of ~B—>A. The first sentence in the passage
can be depicted as
~BD—>BG
where B D stands for “the administration
allows the band director to keep his teaching
position” and BG stands for “Students at
Lincoln High School will boycott graduation
ceremonies.” The second sentence contains an
implied if-then statement. It can be stated as
follows: “If the administration allows the band
director to keep his teaching position, then it
will have to eliminate one of the new coaching
positions.” This can be depicted as
BD—>EC
Of course, EC stands for “it will have to eliminate
one of the new coaching positions.” As presented,
the two diagrammed statements cannot be connected. However, let’s suppose the high school
students do not boycott graduation ceremonies,
which is selection (C). If we apply the contrapositive to the first diagram, ~BD—>BG, the
statement becomes
~BG—>BD
Then we can use the transitive property to
combine ~BG—>BD with BD—>EC to yield
the following diagram:
~BG—>EC
That is, if the students don’t boycott graduation
ceremonies, then a new coaching position will
be eliminated. Thus, the correct assumption is
that the students will not boycott graduation
ceremonies. The answer is selection (C).


thanks for the explanation .any thoughts why D is wrong ? .If I see such questions in gmat exams" I would not think of A unless B relation in first go.May be I'll go for elimination or just skip the question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 24 Oct 2016
Posts: 268
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Re: Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 23:36
SajjadAhmad wrote:
arvind910619 wrote:
Hi Please explain why C is the correct answer


Here is the comprehensive explanation

Remember, “A unless B” is the equivalent
of ~B—>A. The first sentence in the passage
can be depicted as
~BD—>BG
where B D stands for “the administration
allows the band director to keep his teaching
position” and BG stands for “Students at
Lincoln High School will boycott graduation
ceremonies.” The second sentence contains an
implied if-then statement. It can be stated as
follows: “If the administration allows the band
director to keep his teaching position, then it
will have to eliminate one of the new coaching
positions.” This can be depicted as
BD—>EC
Of course, EC stands for “it will have to eliminate
one of the new coaching positions.” As presented,
the two diagrammed statements cannot be connected. However, let’s suppose the high school
students do not boycott graduation ceremonies,
which is selection (C). If we apply the contrapositive to the first diagram, ~BD—>BG, the
statement becomes
~BG—>BD
Then we can use the transitive property to
combine ~BG—>BD with BD—>EC to yield
the following diagram:
~BG—>EC
That is, if the students don’t boycott graduation
ceremonies, then a new coaching position will
be eliminated. Thus, the correct assumption is
that the students will not boycott graduation
ceremonies. The answer is selection (C).


hi,
sajid your explanation above seems quite acceptable , but can you clarify what i am thinking about it
if the administrator allows band director then high schools students will not boycott ceremonies , which means students want band director to keep teaching .
that's why if new position will be eliminated then it must be true that the band director is still teaching so this can be true when we assume that students are not boycotting .

but i have a doubt too , say students want the band director and the administration does not , then how it can be true that without boycotting administration allows band director to keep teaching , i am so confused :oops: , please help
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Status: Preparing GMAT
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 1915
Location: Pakistan
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 00:54
nks2611 wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:
arvind910619 wrote:
Hi Please explain why C is the correct answer


Here is the comprehensive explanation

Remember, “A unless B” is the equivalent
of ~B—>A. The first sentence in the passage
can be depicted as
~BD—>BG
where B D stands for “the administration
allows the band director to keep his teaching
position” and BG stands for “Students at
Lincoln High School will boycott graduation
ceremonies.” The second sentence contains an
implied if-then statement. It can be stated as
follows: “If the administration allows the band
director to keep his teaching position, then it
will have to eliminate one of the new coaching
positions.” This can be depicted as
BD—>EC
Of course, EC stands for “it will have to eliminate
one of the new coaching positions.” As presented,
the two diagrammed statements cannot be connected. However, let’s suppose the high school
students do not boycott graduation ceremonies,
which is selection (C). If we apply the contrapositive to the first diagram, ~BD—>BG, the
statement becomes
~BG—>BD
Then we can use the transitive property to
combine ~BG—>BD with BD—>EC to yield
the following diagram:
~BG—>EC
That is, if the students don’t boycott graduation
ceremonies, then a new coaching position will
be eliminated. Thus, the correct assumption is
that the students will not boycott graduation
ceremonies. The answer is selection (C).


hi,
sajid your explanation above seems quite acceptable , but can you clarify what i am thinking about it
if the administrator allows band director then high schools students will not boycott ceremonies , which means students want band director to keep teaching .
that's why if new position will be eliminated then it must be true that the band director is still teaching so this can be true when we assume that students are not boycotting .

but i have a doubt too , say students want the band director and the administration does not , then how it can be true that without boycotting administration allows band director to keep teaching , i am so confused :oops: , please help


Hi

You should focus on the last line of the conclusion of the question stimulus that is

So, the new coaching position will be eliminated.

Now focus on the right option that is

The students will not boycott graduation ceremonies.

there is a swap of the order which confusing you

1st the administration will have to eliminate one of the new coaching positions it planned for next year then after this The students will not boycott graduation ceremonies and then the new coaching position will be eliminated.
_________________

Final days of the GMAT Exam? => All GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = Press +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 16 Feb 2017
Posts: 8
Re: Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 10:42
Stimulus:
Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unless the administration allows the band director to keep his teaching position rather than forcing him to retire at the end of the school year. If the band director continues to teach at the high school, however, then the administration will have to eliminate one of the new coaching positions it planned for next year. So, the new coaching position will be eliminated.

Question Stem:
The conclusion stated in the passage above is properly drawn if which one of the following assumptions is made?

Premise 1: Students will boycott ceremonies unless the administration allows the band director to keep his teaching position rather than forcing him to retire at the end of the school year.

Premise 2: If the band director continues to teach at the high school, however, then the administration will have to eliminate one of the new coaching positions it planned for next year.

Conclusion: So, the new coaching position will be eliminated.

My take on this is: So the band director isn't leaving? Great! why? cuz the admin is allowing him to keep his teaching position. Wait.
that means the students won't boycott the graduation ceremonies.

Answer: (C) The students will not boycott graduation ceremonies.
_________________

Click Kudos if this helps!
Nash

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Jul 2017
Posts: 16
CAT Tests
Re: Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 03:18
Okay, what about if the director quits himself.
The logical flaw fails here then right?
This assumption needs to be made because it connects all the premises and conclusion together.

Anyways the students will boycott is a premise and we have studied that premises can't be wrong?

Posted from my mobile device
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1357
Re: Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2018, 23:58
1
The problem with D is that it is a necessary assumption, but we are looking for a sufficient assumption--something that makes the argument valid. (This is a question type that is much more likely to show up on the LSAT than the GMAT.) While the argument fails without D, adding that information doesn't make the argument correct. It just patches one hole.
_________________


Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1357
Re: Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 00:10
1
rish2708 We do have to accept the premises as true, but notice that these premise are conditional. They don't tell us whether these things will actually happen. I could say "If you crash my car, you will owe me a lot of money," even though it's pretty unlikely that you will ever crash my car. In this case, we know that IF the band director is not allowed to stay, THEN the students will boycott. If the students do not boycott, that must mean the band director IS allowed to stay. (This is what we call a contrapositive, as diagrammed in the OE.) That sets off a logic chain leading to the conclusion: No boycott --> band director stays --> new coaching position cut

I see your point about the additional assumption. Technically, the chain we really have is as follows, with the (-->) representing the link we don't actually have: No boycott --> band director ALLOWED to stay (-->) band director continues to teach --> new coaching position cut. So yes, ideally the answer would cover that additional assumption. Either the question writer didn't think of this, or they consider it implied that if you are allowed to keep a job, you do actually stay in that job. However, given what we have to work with, C is the clear winner.
_________________


Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Aug 2017
Posts: 12
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 20:10
If A then B . It doesn't mean that if B then A

So if " the band director continues to teach at the high school" then "the new coaching position will be eliminated."
Then it doesn't mean that if "the new coaching position will be eliminated." then " the band director continues to teach at the high school"


Therefore how can we assume that "The students will not boycott graduation ceremonies."


Please correct me if I am wrong
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Jul 2017
Posts: 16
CAT Tests
Re: Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 11:25
DmitryFarber wrote:
rish2708 We do have to accept the premises as true, but notice that these premise are conditional. They don't tell us whether these things will actually happen. I could say "If you crash my car, you will owe me a lot of money," even though it's pretty unlikely that you will ever crash my car. In this case, we know that IF the band director is not allowed to stay, THEN the students will boycott. If the students do not boycott, that must mean the band director IS allowed to stay. (This is what we call a contrapositive, as diagrammed in the OE.) That sets off a logic chain leading to the conclusion: No boycott --> band director stays --> new coaching position cut

I see your point about the additional assumption. Technically, the chain we really have is as follows, with the (-->) representing the link we don't actually have: No boycott --> band director ALLOWED to stay (-->) band director continues to teach --> new coaching position cut. So yes, ideally the answer would cover that additional assumption. Either the question writer didn't think of this, or they consider it implied that if you are allowed to keep a job, you do actually stay in that job. However, given what we have to work with, C is the clear winner.


Thanks a lot for the elaborative explanation.
So, considering this type of question shows up on GMAT, and if we see conditions like this, we can ignore the options that don't value the contrapositive statement?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2018
Posts: 1
Re: Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 19:08
I am still confused... To be honest, the conclusion is "So, the new position will be eliminated"
and the question is: "The conclusion stated in the passage above is properly drawn if which one of the following assumptions is made?"

So clearly, if we chose C then can we say: the admins assume the student will not boycott and therefore they keep the current band director and eliminate a new position?
in that case then why admin did not draw the conclusion that they dont have to worry about the consequence of forcing the current band director to retire?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 08 Aug 2017
Posts: 280
Re: Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 22:51
Is it a assumption question?
With option C, I see kind of inference or must be true type question.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 28 Aug 2018
Posts: 34
Re: Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 03:17
gvij2017 wrote:
Is it a assumption question?
With option C, I see kind of inference or must be true type question.


these type of questions are Assumption question and they appear in LSAT.

IN such questions, draw a chain linkage with the conclusion in mind, but in reverse order
example: Position is removed(conclusion)--> Band teacher does not retire--> band teacher stays--> Students attend Ceremony.


Kudos
Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 504
Location: Malaysia
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.95
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 10:26
Hi All,

Whats wrong with E?? Was stuck between C & E.
_________________

If my Post helps you in Gaining Knowledge, Help me with KUDOS.. !!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl &nbs [#permalink] 06 Dec 2018, 10:26
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Students at Lincoln High School will boycott graduation ceremonies unl

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.