Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3804 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: Studies of performance reports show that working in a multilingual env [#permalink]
Expert Reply
wmichaelxie wrote:
whose colleagues speak English as a second language
whose colleagues are native English speakers.

These are parallel?

Yes, that is the main reason we have marked E as the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Studies of performance reports show that working in a multilingual env [#permalink]
Obviously, but can you explain why or break down the parts of speech to show that it's so?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Can egmat please comment on the correct usage of "as compared with" in this example?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
kanigmat011 wrote:
Ain't as compared with incorrect usage of idiom

Both the idioms are correct.
You can also refer to this article by oxford.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/compare-with-or-compare-to

Vercules Do you know any OG or GMAT Prep questions of such sort?
If yes , with be thankful if you share the same.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Concentration: Other, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
fameatop wrote:
Studies of performance reports show that working in a multilingual environment has a markedly positive effect on managers whose colleagues speak English as a second language, as compared to those whose native language is English.
D) to managers whose colleagues do not.- CORRECT as this option avoids ambiguity by using MANAGERS instead of THOSE: moreover, correct use of verb form "DO NOT"
E) with managers whose colleagues are native English speakers- Avoid ambiguity but the option fails to maintain parallelism between
managers whose colleagues speak English as a second language
managers whose colleagues are native English speakers

Fame

Dear Fame,
This is in response to your private message.

First of all, in my mind, both (D) & (E) show clear and correct parallelism, and the problem with (D) is the grave logical issue that Vercules pointed out. In my mind, Vercules has already resolved all the issues pertaining to this question, but because you asked, I will elaborate a bit.

Point #1----LOGIC always trumps GRAMMAR ---- there is no sense putting words in what would seem to be a grammatically correct order if what is said is illogical.

Point #2 --- parallelism is NOT purely mechanical --- it doesn't necessarily mean an exact plug-in verbal repeat. Parallelism operates at both the level of the word and at the level of logic. In that sense,
managers whose colleagues speak English as a second language
managers whose colleagues are native English speakers

these two, while having different wording, are precise logical parallels.

Point #3 ---- the word "NOT" can be very tricky.
In a binary category, the word "NOT" produces a precise meaning
... those who can ride a bike, compared to those who can not ....
... those who speak French, compared to those who don't ....
... those have read Moby Dick, compared to those who have not ....

For all three of those, there's a implied yes/no question that more or less exhausts the category of possibilities.

Now, by contrast ....
.... those whose favorite novel is Moby Dick, compared to ????
....those who play cello, compared to ????

Here, the nature of the comparison is a bit less clear ---- do we mean to compare all those whose favorite novel is Moby Dick with the vast majority of humanity who do not have this relationship with this one particular book? or do we mean to compare those whose favorite novel is Moby Dick with those whose favorite is some other work?
Similarly, in the second, are we really comparing all cello-players to all non-cello-players? Or are we comparing those who play the cello to those who play some other orchestral instrument?
The logic of the sentence would tell us a lot about how we had to frame the comparison, but the point is --- as soon as there are more than two possibilities, we can't just stick the word "NOT" in there and consider ourselves done.

In this question, choice (D) has .....
...has a markedly positive effect on managers whose colleagues speak English as a second language, as compared to managers whose colleagues do not.
I must say, this is a brilliantly constructed choice designed to snap all those who think about parallelism too mechanically, ignoring the underlying logic. I really like this question.
Here, category #1 = "managers whose colleagues speak English as a second language"
So the colleagues have this specific relationship with English --- they speak it as a second language.
Who would not be category #1 ----
(a) native speakers of English --- English as a "first" language
(b) folks who speak English as their third, fourth, fifth, etc. language
(c) those who do not speak a word of English
Now, logically, in the context of the sentence, do all those people have any business being lumped together? Of course not! Yes, strictly speaking, the word "NOT", indicated simply not in Category #1, would necessarily include all those people. It includes a much wider swathe of the human race than is intended by the sentence, and it's implications are utterly illogical. Once again, logic trumps grammar. This cannot be correct.

The best answer is (E) --- perfect logic, and perfect parallelism.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

hi Mike between D and E split the distinction that i have come across to solve is the compared to and compared with logic,

compared with is used to compare similar objects that have some DIS-SIMILARITIES between them .
in options AB and C those is not clear is it referring to managers or to colleagues.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
In A C and B, ‘those’ is ambiguous. It could mean ,manager or colleagues.

In E there is a //ism error between ‘speak English as a second language’ and ‘are native English speakers’.

So D is the correct choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
egmat is the usage od as compared with is correct here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
I have been informed via my e-gmat course under module 7.3, Comparison Expressions, that As compared WITH is an incorrect usage of the phrase. Though of the options provided I would have gone with option E had option D not been presented, the suggested answer to question above goes against the theory in discussion. Kindly let me know if I am missing something.
Also, is this an official question?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts