GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 14:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Studies of trauma victims suggest that shock brought on by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Studies of trauma victims suggest that shock brought on by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2010, 02:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

90% (01:20) correct 10% (03:16) wrong based on 33 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Studies of trauma victims suggest that shock brought on by violent or life-threatening situations causes damage to the hippocampi, structures in the brain that play a crucial role in learning and memory. Researchers found that in combat veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress symptoms, which include nightmares and vivid flashbacks, the hippocampi were eight percent smaller in volume than in combat veterans who suffered no such symptoms. The researchers concluded that the hippocampi had lost cell mass as a result of trauma.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the researchers' conclusion drawn above?

A) In another study, subjects who had experienced the death of a close relative were found to have no reduction in the volume of their hippocampi when compared to those whose close relatives were all still living.
B) In the study, the traumatized veterans were compared with other veterans of similar background, body size, and other characteristics that might have a bearing on brain size.
C) Some individuals are born with hippocampi whose volume is smaller than average, and this reduced volume makes them more susceptible to post¬traumatic stress symptoms.
D) Combat veterans who experience post-traumatic stress symptoms perform significantly worse on tests of verbal memory compared with veterans who suffer no such symptoms.
E) Further study revealed that veterans who had seen more intense combat and had more severe post-traumatic symptoms exhibited even greater reduction in the volume of their hippocampi.
Manager
Manager
Re: Trauma Victims [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2010, 05:18
tarun wrote:
Studies of trauma victims suggest that shock brought on by violent or life-threatening situations causes damage to the hippocampi, structures in the brain that play a crucial role in learning and memory. Researchers found that in combat veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress symptoms, which include nightmares and vivid flashbacks, the hippocampi were eight percent smaller in volume than in combat veterans who suffered no such symptoms. The researchers concluded that the hippocampi had lost cell mass as a result of trauma.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the researchers' conclusion drawn above?

A) In another study, subjects who had experienced the death of a close relative were found to have no reduction in the volume of their hippocampi when compared to those whose close relatives were all still living.
B) In the study, the traumatized veterans were compared with other veterans of similar background, body size, and other characteristics that might have a bearing on brain size.
C) Some individuals are born with hippocampi whose volume is smaller than average, and this reduced volume makes them more susceptible to post¬traumatic stress symptoms.
D) Combat veterans who experience post-traumatic stress symptoms perform significantly worse on tests of verbal memory compared with veterans who suffer no such symptoms.
E) Further study revealed that veterans who had seen more intense combat and had more severe post-traumatic symptoms exhibited even greater reduction in the volume of their hippocampi.

casual reasoning argument can be weaken if we can show that the effect is a cause.
In above argument option C does the same. hence option C weakens the argument most. IMO C
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2010, 05:45
I narrowed it down to A & C
Both weakens the conclusion

What is the OA?

Success is my Destiny

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2010, 13:15
I narrowed to B and C.

Actually I did not understand the last part of option B.

after reading other explanation I agree it is C

Conclusion:

Trauma ==> reduces hippocampi (brain size)

option C says

reduced hippocampi (brain size) ==> causes Trauma
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2010, 00:34
i too narrowed to B and C..

But after reading

Conclusion:

option C says

I narrowed to B and C.

Actually I did not understand the last part of option B.

after reading other explanation I agree it is C

Conclusion:

option C says

i came down to C... Thanks
Manager
Manager
Studies of trauma victims suggest that shock brought on by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 11:09
Can anyone please give their view on why option A is correct or wrong?

It is definitely a good candidate.

Thank you.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Studies of trauma victims suggest that shock brought on by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 15:12
EBITDA wrote:
Can anyone please give their view on why option A is correct or wrong?

It is definitely a good candidate.

Thank you.

The study is about Trauma victims who were affected by the shock brought on by violent or life-threatening situations, not by the death of close relatives. Therefore A is not relevant.

Correct option is C; the question deals with a frequently used concept about weakening statements.

Premise: X and Y are observed to occur.
Conclusion: X causes Y.
Weakening statement: Y causes X. (and not the other way round)

Here X = post traumatic stress.
Y = smaller hippo-campus.

The passage concludes that trauma causes reduction in size of Hippo-campus.
Option C states smaller hippo-campus causes a person to be susceptible to post-traumatic symptom (and not the other way round).
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Studies of trauma victims suggest that shock brought on by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 09:19
A and D are out of scope.
B and E are strengtheners.
C is left. "some" in C does not indicate exceptional cases, or an opinion. "some individuals" actually refer to an alternative explanation. In other words, "some" in C has nothing to do with the study, but with a theory that weakens the conclusion.
Re: Studies of trauma victims suggest that shock brought on by   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2018, 09:19

Studies of trauma victims suggest that shock brought on by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap