Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: Study plan for last week before GMAT (770 in GMATPrep) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
PT2020 wrote:
I have a week until I take the GMAT, and 2 days ago I scored a 770 (50Q/46V) on a GMATPrep CAT test. 2 days prior to that, I scored a 720 (49Q/40V). In my most recent test, I took the verbal first instead of the quantitative, and that seemed to help a bit. Both were taken under realistic test conditions I finished just in the nick of time on both tests, so I'm not sure if I should take another CAT or two prior to the real thing. I have 2 GMATPrep CATs left.

Any advice on what I should do in this final week is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hello, PT2020. Although both recent mocks are excellent results, there is a lot of volatility between them for someone likely shooting for that 99th percentile. Particularly concerning to me is the confession that you finished just in the nick of time on both tests. Is that true of both Verbal and Quant, or just one section or the other? I use the word concern because many test-takers understandably want to do well on the real test, so they approach each question with extra caution and tend to take longer than they have even in practice tests. To override that natural impulse takes a lot of practice. (There is a nod to TheUltimateWinner in that last line, from a different dialogue, in which we were discussing how an infinitive can act as a subject.) Creating time targets for sets of 5, 10, 15 questions, and so on can help you on test day. I would not overdo it and take both of those other tests, but I would take one of them and approach it with a game plan. If you liked taking the Verbal section first, try it again. See if your results come out at the upper end of your range again.

Apart from the above, as has been suggested already, should you choose to study questions on the side in a non-testing environment, you should focus on official questions for Verbal. For Quant, I think in-house GMAT Club questions are fine. One more thing: do not overlook the potential of Easy and Medium questions to swing your score. Too often, students focus on getting all the Hard questions, but when they make too many mistakes on the Medium questions, their scores reflect it.

Good luck with your studies. Take it easy the last day or two leading up to the exam. (If you feel like working on a couple questions to keep your nerves down, that is okay, but do not go crazy.)

- Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Study plan for last week before GMAT (770 in GMATPrep) [#permalink]