Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 19:06 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 138
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Rotman '25
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6862 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: Subjunctive Verb [#permalink]
Expert Reply
GMATist1 wrote:
Would the first option have been correct if it ended with "is used" instead of "are used"?

Hello, GMATist1. Since you have asked about working through the original sentence in the manner of e-GMAT, I will refrain from going through each step—I do not work with the company and feel as though someone on that end should provide the analysis you seek. But I do feel at liberty to answer your question above with a definitive NO. You cannot place is used at the end of the first option, since doing so would violate basic subject-verb agreement. Once the noun clause that begins with that images starts up, it does not resolve until the end of the sentence, and you would not say, it is desirable that images is used. That is flat-out wrong.

This is a tricky sentence to parse because it does not build from the simplest of structures. I will add my tags bit by bit in an effort to help you break down things for yourself.

Quote:
For producing effective e-learning content, it is desirable that images that paint a visual sketch of the idea in the mind of the learner are used.

For producing effective e-learning content is a prepositional phrase.

it is what is known as a placeholder. It serves a grammatical purpose without referring to anything in particular. (Popular examples of such usage surround weather descriptions such as It is sunny today.)

is desirable forms the predicate of the main clause: is is the verb, while desirable is used as a noun to answer what something is.

that images... are used, the entire underlined portion, is a noun or nominative clause that effectively serves as the subject of the main clause. The sentence is conveying that using certain types of images is desirable: That images... are used is desirable.

Within the above clause, that paint... learner is a relative clause that modifies the noun images. As such, the clause serves in the capacity of an adjective.

Within the embedded clause above, you encounter further prepositional phrases: of is a tip-off.

I hope the above helps you. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Subjunctive Verb [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13966 posts