Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:54 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72912 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Suggestions on taking GMAT current vs GMAT Focus [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi. Unfortunately deprication of the current version of the test has been accelerated to January 31, 2024. Previously people were allowed to register all the way until March 31 but GM came back and is switching those appointments to GMAT focus or allowing free changes, either way Jim classic is going away on January 31 next year.

As the result, I would say take the gym at focus and plan to take it so you have fewer disruptions

Final piece of advice, I would recommend targeting three months to study in prep. Tying yourself into GMAT prep for six months is frankly unthinkable to me. It’s a huge effort that will burn you out if you maintain intensity necessary to improve it. What happens more often people don’t maintain the intensity in they stretch it out and they get very mediocre results so avoid that mistake, make it into a sprint not a marathon. I would say plan to take it no later than February perhaps.

GMATAimer wrote:
Hi all, I have just started my GMAT prep(around 10 days back). Initially, I planned on taking the current version, considering the fact that it would be available at least until the end of March and I would have a reasonable 6 month period (factoring in an extra few months as a safety net). I will apply to B-schools in September next year for the 2025 fall intake. The main reason I started off with the current version was the fact that B-schools are more familiar with the current scoring system. I'm currently over 100 points away from my target score. Thus, my worry right now is that I might not have adequate time to reach my target score in the current version and might have to switch to the Focus version later on. So, in my case, should I stick to the current version, give an attempt in late December/early January, and then assess the situation, or just switch to the focus right away? Getting some detailed suggestions would be really insightful. Thanks in advance!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Suggestions on taking GMAT current vs GMAT Focus [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi GMATAimer,

Studying for the GMAT now - far in advance of when you will actually "need" your Score - is a smart choice. Many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores - and since the current version of the GMAT is supposedly going to be available until January 31, 2024, you have 3.5 months before that date (and afterwards, the only GMAT option will be to take the GMAT Focus Edition). A 100-point improvement in that timeframe is reasonable, but if you're actually 150-200 points away from your Goal Score, then there might be an issue with achieving that type of improvement in that timeframe.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours do you typically study each week - and will you be able to maintain that schedule going forward?
2) What study materials do you currently have access to? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
www.empowergmat.com
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22073 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi GMATAimer,

I do think you have enough time to prepare for the classic version of the GMAT successfully. However, have you made a decision either way?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[quote="bb"]Hi. Unfortunately deprication of the current version of the test has been accelerated to January 31, 2024. Previously people were allowed to register all the way until March 31 but GM came back and is switching those appointments to GMAT focus or allowing free changes, either way Jim classic is going away on January 31 next year.

Hi bb,

Thanks for the advice! I had initially factored in 6 months as I have quite a hectic work schedule till the end of December and will not be able to study regularly for the next 2.5 months.
I thought about your point of considering the prep as a sprint and have decided to block out January-March and study with high intensity during that period and will be giving the Focus edition at the end of March.

Thanks and Regards!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[quote="EMPOWERgmatRichC"]Hi GMATAimer,

Studying for the GMAT now - far in advance of when you will actually "need" your Score - is a smart choice. Many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores - and since the current version of the GMAT is supposedly going to be available until January 31, 2024, you have 3.5 months before that date (and afterwards, the only GMAT option will be to take the GMAT Focus Edition). A 100-point improvement in that timeframe is reasonable, but if you're actually 150-200 points away from your Goal Score, then there might be an issue with achieving that type of improvement in that timeframe.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours do you typically study each week - and will you be able to maintain that schedule going forward?
2) What study materials do you currently have access to? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich,

1. 20-25 hours/week is achievable.
2. Official Mock
3. 2nd October 2023 - 650 (Q47 V32)
4. 760 was my goal on the GCE, thus on GFE it will be 705 - basically I want to hit the 99th percentile score.
5. I actually have 12 schools in my mind for now and would pick the schools based on how well I score and how good the overall readiness of my profile is
Bucket 1: Stanford, Booth, Kellogg, Sloan, Columbia
Bucket 2: Haas, Stern, Anderson
Bucket 3: Tepper, Marshall, Jones, Kenan Flagler
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi GMATAimer,

I do think you have enough time to prepare for the classic version of the GMAT successfully. However, have you made a decision either way?

Hi Scott,

I have decided to go ahead with the Focus Edition.

Regards!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT Focus 1:
685 Q88 V82 DI82
WE:Corporate Finance (Finance)
Send PM
Since GMAT focus edition and GMAT classic scores are not on the same scale, wouldn’t Bschools prefer a 700 candidate vs a 655 to boost their average GMAT in marketing materials??!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot