GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 16:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

February 24, 2019

February 24, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Super frustrated. 610 to 710 to 710...Retake?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 610 Q41 V33
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge
Super frustrated. 610 to 710 to 710...Retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 12:15
Hi GMATCLUB friends,

5 weeks ago I got a 710 on the GMAT and was told that my score was not good enough for my targets by many app consultants. Here is the post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/told-710-not ... 273090.htm

With GMATCLUB's guidance I really tried to perfect my quant as much as I could. I spent more than 75% of my prep time working on quant. This includes purchasing the GMATCLUB tests and going through my error log like never before. Today I re-wrote and to my surprise and dismay got 710 again this was my 3rd write.

1st write: 610
2nd write: 710 (Q47, V40, IR2)
3rd write: 710 (Q45, V41, IR4)

My targets are:
- Booth
- Yale
- NYU

My reach schools are:
- Wharton
- Harvard

My question is whether I re-write again...or do I focus on applications for R2 submission given that I already missed R1.

Any advice / guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

GMAT 1: 610
GMAT 2: 710
GMAT 3: 710

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Super frustrated. 610 to 710 to 710...Retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 19:24
fvoci wrote:
Hi GMATCLUB friends,

5 weeks ago I got a 710 on the GMAT and was told that my score was not good enough for my targets by many app consultants. Here is the post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/told-710-not ... 273090.htm

With GMATCLUB's guidance I really tried to perfect my quant as much as I could. I spent more than 75% of my prep time working on quant. This includes purchasing the GMATCLUB tests and going through my error log like never before. Today I re-wrote and to my surprise and dismay got 710 again this was my 3rd write.

1st write: 610
2nd write: 710 (Q47, V40, IR2)
3rd write: 710 (Q45, V41, IR4)

My targets are:
- Booth
- Yale
- NYU

My reach schools are:
- Wharton
- Harvard

My question is whether I re-write again...or do I focus on applications for R2 submission given that I already missed R1.

Any advice / guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
I think you need to have a more detailed conversation with a consultant, if you are really interested in working with one. It's very easy for a consultant to say that a 710 is not "enough", but at the end of the day, a 710 is 90%, so it is very hard to imagine that it cannot work at all. But yes, a consultant's life will become much easier if he or she insists that everyone who applies to a top school do so with a 740+. But how realistic (or even desirable) is that?

1. I don't know whether you're thinking of taking the GMAT again, but I'd be working on my applications by now if I were you.
2. Maybe school selection also needs to be tweaked. I'd focus on making sure that I had options after the process, even if some of the "names" that I wanted didn't work out.
3. These options need to be evaluated considering the outcomes that you want, and it's very unlikely that the schools you mentioned have a monopoly on those outcomes.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: Super frustrated. 610 to 710 to 710...Retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 18:13
Hi fvoci,

I agree with AjiteshArun; you need to have a specific conversation with a consultant. Perhaps if you can discuss your application as a whole, you may be fine applying with your 710. If your GMAT score is still too low for your desired schools, then you need to consider applying to some additional safety schools or retaking your GMAT, right?

If you need to give the GMAT another shot, feel free to reach out to me directly, and I’d be happy to discuss your study plan.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Super frustrated. 610 to 710 to 710...Retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 21:13
Hi fvoci,

We also believe that it is possible for you to get into these schools with the score you currently have because other factors like your work experience, essays, and interviews matter as much. But increasing your GMAT score will definitely enhance your likelihood of getting into these schools. So if you are sure that you can increase your score, especially your quant score, consider taking the exam again!

To increase your quant score above 49 is quite difficult. Here are some of our strategies. Between Problem Solving and Data Sufficiency question types, we recommend you to focus on DS first because DS can be a quick win. Also, focus on 5 key types of problems: integer, statistics, inequality, probability, and absolute value which account for 80% of the GMAT exam. Here is our extended guide to improve your score above 49.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-ultimate ... 09801.html

Let us share with you how we approach DS problems (aka Variable approach). Right off the bat, we count the number of variables and equations given in the question. By doing so, you can determine which answer choice will most likely be the answer. For example, if there are only two variables in a question, you need at least 2 equations to solve the question. Since two conditions in the question usually give 2 separate equations, it is most likely that C (both conditions together are sufficient) will be the answer. With knowing this, you can find an answer without actually solving the problem. This is true about 70% of the cases according to our analysis of GMAT quant DS. Our Variable Approach offers more insights like this by teaching students the unique and unconventional ways of solving DS questions.

fvoci, we offer both free trial pack and free video lessons to students on our site mathrevolution.com So check it out when you get a chance. Also don’t forget to try our free diagnostic test!!

Please let us know if you have further questions.
You can reach us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach,
Good luck!

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $149 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

GMAT Club Bot
Super frustrated. 610 to 710 to 710...Retake?   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2018, 21:13

Super frustrated. 610 to 710 to 710...Retake?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap