Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Sciencex   Short Passagex                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Re: Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl [#permalink]
For the primary purpose question, how is last option correct?
I says "method" but we have discussed two methods. Shouldn't B be the correct answer choice?
Send PM
Re: Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Diksha123456789 wrote:
For the primary purpose question, how is last option correct?
I says "method" but we have discussed two methods. Shouldn't B be the correct answer choice?

The PRIMARY purpose is to explain the method described in the second paragraph—i.e., the technique that astronomers use to determine the mass of certain celestial objects.

The material in the first paragraph, about methods of weighing ordinary Earth objects using relatively simple machines and simple steps, is only there as an analogy to help the reader intuit the stuff in the second paragraph, which is the main point.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Diksha123456789 wrote:

Choice B says "a scientific measurement", which is still singular—so, if you don't like the singular nature of choice E, then you shouldn't like choice B (which uses a singular construction for precisely the same thing) either.

In any case, the real issue with choice B is the word "steps". A quick look through the second paragraph will quickly reveal that steps absolutely DO NOT appear there.
In fact, the second paragraph pretty much contains everything EXCEPT the steps of the process! It mentions starting information, end goals, and (in generic broad-strokes terms) the overall nature of the mathematical/scientific process used to get from the start to the end. The ACTUAL STEPS that would get us from the start to the end, however, aren't there.

e.g.,

By observing the time required for the stars to circle each other (the period) and measuring the distance between them, we can deduce the restraining force, and hence the masses.

—> What is the ACTUAL PROCEDURE (step by step) for measuring the distance between the stars?

—> What are the ACTUAL CALCULATIONS (step by step) for deducing the restraining force?
—> How about the ACTUAL CALCULATIONS for deriving the masses (= the end goals) from that result?

Absolutely nothing here to answer any of these three questions. No steps for anything.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Diksha123456789 wrote:
I says "method" but we have discussed two methods.

And one more thing you should absolutely keep in mind on problems like this:
• You can only have a "MAIN IDEA" in contrast to at least one SIDE POINT / PERIPHERAL IDEA / LOWER-PRIORITY IDEA.
• You can only have a "PRIMARY PURPOSE" as opposed to some sort of SECONDARY purpose.
etc etc

which means that... the "main idea" or "primary purpose" or other answer to a BIG-PICTURE RC QUESTION will absolutely NEVER mention EVERYTHING that appears in the text.[/i]
(In the same kind of way.. If a friend of yours goes to a talk, and then you ask this friend later "What did the speaker MAINLY talk about?"—If your friend actually spells out every single point that the speaker made the whole time, then you are not actually getting a valid response to the question that you asked.)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl [#permalink]
Quote:
Which of the following best describes the relationship between the first and the second paragraph of the passage?

A The first paragraph provides an illustration useful for understanding a procedure described in the second paragraph.

C The first paragraph evaluates the usefulness of a procedure whose application is described further in the second paragraph.

Dear RonTargetTestPrep

would you please help how to decided between A and C ?

thanks a lot.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl [#permalink]
zoezhuyan wrote:
Quote:
Which of the following best describes the relationship between the first and the second paragraph of the passage?

A The first paragraph provides an illustration useful for understanding a procedure described in the second paragraph.

C The first paragraph evaluates the usefulness of a procedure whose application is described further in the second paragraph.

Dear RonTargetTestPrep

would you please help how to decided between A and C ?

thanks a lot.

Dear zoezhuyan,
concerning the option C, 1st paragraph does not provide evaluation such as pluses and cones; it is merely presents the hypothesis how the unknown mass could be determent.

Quote:
The unknown mass could be determined, however, by placing the object on a spring scale and swinging the scale in a circle at the end of a string.

Hope it helps :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
KarishmaB Sajjad1994 Ninja
in question 5, can you please let me know why option A is wrong?
I am confuse between a and e.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
priyanshii26 wrote:
KarishmaB Sajjad1994 Ninja
in question 5, can you please let me know why option A is wrong?
I am confuse between a and e.

Let me add one more thing here - when you say an option could be the answer, every word in the option needs to fit the passage.

A. analyze a natural phenomenon in terms of its behavior under special conditions

natural phenomenon - two stars in a double-star system circle one another
What special condition of the two star system are we talking about? None.

We are talking about how we can figure out their masses.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Sajjad1994 KarishmaB GMATNinja Can you please let me know how option b is correct in question 2?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
priyanshii26 wrote:
Sajjad1994 KarishmaB GMATNinja Can you please let me know how option b is correct in question 2?

Explanation

2. According to the passage, the tension in the string mentioned in highlight text is analogous to which of the following aspects of a double-star system?

Difficulty Level: 500

Explanation

The passage describes how the tension in the string, when an object is swung in a circle on a spring scale, is analogous to a certain aspect of a double-star system. Let's analyze each answer option to determine which aspect of the double-star system it corresponds to:

A. This corresponds to the motion of one of the stars in the double-star system, but it is not analogous to the tension in the string mentioned in the passage.

B. This is the correct answer. The passage explicitly states that the attractive force (gravitational attraction) between the stars in the double-star system is analogous to the tension in the string when an object is swung on a spring scale.

C. This corresponds to the period of their motion, but it is not directly analogous to the tension in the string mentioned in the passage.

D. This corresponds to the separation between the stars in the double-star system but is not analogous to the tension in the string.

E. This corresponds to the combined mass of the stars, which is discussed in the passage but is not directly analogous to the tension in the string.

Answer: B
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 369
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V35
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Quote:
3. Which of the following best describes the relationship between the first and the second paragraph of the passage?

B The first paragraph describes a hypothetical situation whose plausibility is tested in the second paragraph.
D The second paragraph provides evidence to support a claim made in the first paragraph.
E The second paragraph analyzes the practical implications of a methodology proposed in the first paragraph.

KarishmaB GMATNinja

Could you help me understand why C is wrong? Is it atleast half-right?
Please let me know if my reasoning for eliminating C is correct:

(1) the first paragraph merely suggests/describes a "useful method" for measuring mass but doesn't evaluate (analyze the value) of that method; So, the first part is wrong.
(2) the second paragraph mentions an application/analogy of a method described in the first paragraph; So, the second part is correct.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Posted here

https://gmatclub.com/forum/suppose-we-w ... l#p2875986

SlowTortoise wrote:
Quote:
3. Which of the following best describes the relationship between the first and the second paragraph of the passage?

B The first paragraph describes a hypothetical situation whose plausibility is tested in the second paragraph.
D The second paragraph provides evidence to support a claim made in the first paragraph.
E The second paragraph analyzes the practical implications of a methodology proposed in the first paragraph.

KarishmaB GMATNinja

(1) the first paragraph merely suggests/describes a "useful method" for measuring mass but doesn't evaluate (analyze the value) of that method; So, the first part is wrong.
(2) the second paragraph mentions an application/analogy of a method described in the first paragraph; So, the second part is correct.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SlowTortoise wrote:
Quote:

KarishmaB GMATNinja

KarishmaB wrote:
Pathshala wrote:
Can anyone explain, how option B is different from option E?

5. The primary purpose of the passage is to

A. analyze a natural phenomenon in terms of its behavior under special conditions
B. describe the steps by which a scientific measurement is carried out
C. point out the conditions under which a scientific procedure is most useful
D. contrast two different uses of a methodological approach in science
E. explain a method by which scientists determine an unknown quantity

Between (B) and (E), the real difference lies in "describe the steps" and "explain a method".
Describe the steps would be "first, tie the object to a spring... then swing it really fast ..." etc. That is not what the passage does.
It tells you the method used to measure the masses. It explains you the concept and then how it is applicable to a star system. Hence (E) is better than (B).

GMATNinja wrote:
Shivikaa wrote:
Why not B ? The paragraph talks about the hypothetical situation in the first paragraph. Could you explain where am I going wrong ?

Quote:

We need to consider the entire statement being made in choice (B). You're right to point out that the first paragraph describes a hypothetical technique. That technique is the spring scale/small-solid-object method of measuring mass. However, does the second paragraph test the plausibility of this technique? Is that why the author is bringing up the measurement of attractive force between stars?

The answer is no. The author uses the second paragraph to present an analogous procedure. The point of the second paragraph is not to test whether we can measure mass by measuring the tension of a string between two objects. The point is to describe a different procedure for measuring the mass of stars, referencing the first paragraph as a comparable scenario.

I hope this clarifies why (A) remains the best choice!

Sajjad1994
My query comes from the fact that there are 2 seemingly conflicting opinions on whether the second paragraph is an application of the first one. I have quoted the 2 seemingly conflicting posts and highlighted the areas that I felt were conflicting.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SlowTortoise wrote:
Sajjad1994
My query comes from the fact that there are 2 seemingly conflicting opinions on whether the second paragraph is an application of the first one. I have quoted the 2 seemingly conflicting posts and highlighted the areas that I felt were conflicting.

Hello SlowTortoise

I don't want to go back in deep detail and judge the comments of other members and experts, sorry for that but can you please ask your specific question? I will try to answer it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
SlowTortoise wrote:
Sajjad1994

Hello SlowTortoise

I don't want to go back in deep detail and judge the comments of other members and experts, sorry for that but can you please ask your specific question? I will try to answer it.

Sure Sajjad1994
Below is my question along with the specific details:

Quote:

Could you help me understand whether my reasoning for eliminating C is correct:
(1) The first part/half of option C "the first paragraph evaluates the usefulness of a procedure" is WRONG because the first paragraph merely suggests/describes a "useful" method for measuring mass but doesn't evaluate (analyze the value) of that method
(2) The second part/half of option C "a procedure whose application is described further in the second paragraph" is NOT WRONG because the second paragraph mentions an application/analogy of the method described in the first paragraph
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SlowTortoise wrote:
Could you help me understand whether my reasoning for eliminating C is correct:
(1) The first part/half of option C "the first paragraph evaluates the usefulness of a procedure" is WRONG because the first paragraph merely suggests/describes a "useful" method for measuring mass but doesn't evaluate (analyze the value) of that method
(2) The second part/half of option C "a procedure whose application is described further in the second paragraph" is NOT WRONG because the second paragraph mentions an application/analogy of the method described in the first paragraph

Your reasoning is fine. In the first paragraph, the passage describes a hypothetical situation involving a spaceship in free fall, a spring scale, and the measurement of an object's mass. This scenario is used as an illustration to help the reader understand a concept or procedure. It's not evaluating the usefulness of the procedure or its application in a real-world context.

In the second paragraph, the passage discusses how astronomers use an analogous procedure to determine the masses of double-star systems. This paragraph describes the practical application of a similar concept involving gravitational forces and the motion of stars.

So, the relationship between the first and second paragraphs is that the first paragraph provides an illustration (the hypothetical spaceship scenario) that is useful for understanding a procedure (the gravitational mass determination of double-star systems) described in the second paragraph. Therefore, option A is the correct.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts