GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jul 2018, 12:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 501
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2015, 06:20
4
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

89% (01:26) correct 11% (01:20) wrong based on 744

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

87% (00:26) correct 13% (00:36) wrong based on 717

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

50% (00:39) correct 50% (00:38) wrong based on 735

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

68% (00:55) correct 32% (01:09) wrong based on 704

HideShow timer Statistics

Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightless, and wanted to know a small solid object’s mass. We could not simply balance that object against another of known weight, as we would on Earth. The unknown mass could be determined, however, by placing the object on a spring scale and swinging the scale in a circle at the end of a string. The scale would measure the tension in the [gl]string[/gl], which would depend on both the speed of revolution and the mass of the object. The tension would be greater, the greater the mass or the greater the speed of revolution. From the measured tension and speed of whirling, we could determine the object’s mass.

Astronomers use an analogous procedure to “weigh” double-star systems. The speed with which the two stars in a double-star system circle one another depends on the gravitational force between them, which holds the system together. This attractive force, analogous to the tension in the string, is proportional to the stars’ combined mass, according to Newton’s law of gravitation. By observing the time required for the stars to circle each other (the period) and measuring the distance between them, we can deduce the restraining force, and hence the masses.



Q1 :- It can be inferred from the passage that the two procedures described in the passage have which of the following in common?
A They have been applied in practice.
B They rely on the use of a device that measures tension.
C Their purpose is to determine an unknown mass.
D They can only be applied to small solid objects.
E They involve attraction between objects of similar mass.




Q2 :- According to the passage, the tension in the string mentioned in highlight text is analogous to which of the following aspects of a double-star system?
A The speed with which one star orbits the other
B The gravitational attraction between the stars
C The amount of time it takes for the stars to circle one another
D The distance between the two stars
E The combined mass of the two stars




Q3 :- Which of the following best describes the relationship between the first and the second paragraph of the passage?
A The first paragraph provides an illustration useful for understanding a procedure described in the second paragraph.
B The first paragraph describes a hypothetical situation whose plausibility is tested in the second paragraph.
C The first paragraph evaluates the usefulness of a procedure whose application is described further in the second paragraph.
D The second paragraph provides evidence to support a claim made in the first paragraph.
E The second paragraph analyzes the practical implications of a methodology proposed in the first paragraph.



Q4 :- The author of the passage mentions observations regarding the period of a double-star system as being useful for determining
A the distance between the two stars in the system
B the time it takes for each star to rotate on its axis
C the size of the orbit the system’s two stars occupy
D the degree of gravitational attraction between the system’s stars
E the speed at which the star system moves through space



_________________

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 88
Schools: HKU MBA"19 (A)
Re: Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 01:57
This was a easy passage. I guess it aint that easy on the gmat.. 1 week more.. RC giving issues.. any pointer. Jarvis
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 2090
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2016, 05:35
C B A D Fairly easy passage :) , all correct in 5 mins 15 seconds
_________________

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Top Contributor
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 501
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2016, 00:26
Top Contributor
Easy passage: 5 mins all correct. Took 2 mins for para and ~1.5 mins for last 2 questions.
_________________

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 497
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 11:47
1
Fairly easy passage.
I was expecting it to be <600 (sub 600) level. 8-)
_________________

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 05 Jul 2017
Posts: 439
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Re: Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 01:18
Hello Experts,

Q3 :- Which of the following best describes the relationship between the first and the second paragraph of the passage?
A The first paragraph provides an illustration useful for understanding a procedure described in the second paragraph.
B The first paragraph describes a hypothetical situation whose plausibility is tested in the second paragraph.
C The first paragraph evaluates the usefulness of a procedure whose application is described further in the second paragraph.
D The second paragraph provides evidence to support a claim made in the first paragraph.
E The second paragraph analyzes the practical implications of a methodology proposed in the first paragraph.

I was torn between A and C. I eventually selected A because C says the the first para evaluates the usefulness of a procedure. The author doesn't do that Eg: - The author doesn't say the procedure is useful here but can't be used there. He/she just describes a procedure

Hence I eliminated C

I would like to hear your thoughts as to how you eliminated option C in this question. Thanks :-)
_________________

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Jun 2017
Posts: 34
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
CAT Tests
Re: Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 09:01
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello Experts,

Q3 :- Which of the following best describes the relationship between the first and the second paragraph of the passage?
A The first paragraph provides an illustration useful for understanding a procedure described in the second paragraph.
B The first paragraph describes a hypothetical situation whose plausibility is tested in the second paragraph.
C The first paragraph evaluates the usefulness of a procedure whose application is described further in the second paragraph.
D The second paragraph provides evidence to support a claim made in the first paragraph.
E The second paragraph analyzes the practical implications of a methodology proposed in the first paragraph.

I was torn between A and C. I eventually selected A because C says the the first para evaluates the usefulness of a procedure. The author doesn't do that Eg: - The author doesn't say the procedure is useful here but can't be used there. He/she just describes a procedure

Hence I eliminated C

I would like to hear your thoughts as to how you eliminated option C in this question. Thanks :-)


Not an expert but would still like to share my thought process :

This is what option 'C' says:

The first paragraph evaluates the usefulness of a procedure
whose application is described further in the second paragraph.

The first paragraph does actually evaluate the usefulness of a procedure, and that usefulness is measuring the mass of an object using the process described.
The first paragraph does not explicitly state that usefulness, but I guess that's implied.

What's incorrect in this option is this part 'whose application is described further in the second paragraph'
What is mentioned in the second paragraph is not an application of the procedure mentioned in the first paragraph (to measure the mass of unknown object).
Second paragraph just uses an analogy to measure the weight of the stars, but it is not an extension of what is stated in the 1st paragraph but rather an extension of the analogy that is stated in the 2nd paragraph.
Remember, the process stated in the 1st paragraph can not be used to measure the weight of stars. Hence, the application of what is stated in the 1st paragraph can not be used to measure the weight of the stars.
Weight of the stars can in fact be measured by an analogous procedure.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 2
Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 12:44
Pretty easy passage .... got it all correct in < 5 mins 20 sec
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Feb 2017
Posts: 28
Location: Australia
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 2.61
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re: Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 18:38
Instead of saying everyone saying how easy this passage was, why don't you post how you solved? Based on the stats of people who answered, clearly not everyone found this easy.

I personally got the last question incorrect.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Sep 2014
Posts: 71
Re: Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 19:27
Took 6 mins.Got No.3 ques. incorrect. Dear GMATNinja GMATNinja2, Can you help here?
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 20 Nov 2016
Posts: 284
CAT Tests
Re: Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 09:46
sadikabid27 wrote:
Took 6 mins.Got No.3 ques. incorrect. Dear GMATNinja GMATNinja2, Can you help here?

sadikabid27, can you let us know what you were thinking on #3? That will help us understand where you went wrong and put us in a better position to help.

Also, please use the request verbal experts' reply button to help ensure that your questions get noticed.

Thanks!
_________________

www.gmatninja.com

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 26 Feb 2017
Posts: 24
Re: Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 03:22
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
sadikabid27 wrote:
Took 6 mins.Got No.3 ques. incorrect. Dear GMATNinja GMATNinja2, Can you help here?

sadikabid27, can you let us know what you were thinking on #3? That will help us understand where you went wrong and put us in a better position to help.

Also, please use the request verbal experts' reply button to help ensure that your questions get noticed.

Thanks!



I have selected E . Please let me know why E is wrong here @GMATNinjaTwo
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 1844
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 23:07
2
ashisplb wrote:
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
sadikabid27 wrote:
Took 6 mins.Got No.3 ques. incorrect. Dear GMATNinja GMATNinja2, Can you help here?

sadikabid27, can you let us know what you were thinking on #3? That will help us understand where you went wrong and put us in a better position to help.

Also, please use the request verbal experts' reply button to help ensure that your questions get noticed.

Thanks!



I have selected E . Please let me know why E is wrong here @GMATNinjaTwo

Quote:
Q3 :- Which of the following best describes the relationship between the first and the second paragraph of the passage?
A The first paragraph provides an illustration useful for understanding a procedure described in the second paragraph.
B The first paragraph describes a hypothetical situation whose plausibility is tested in the second paragraph.
C The first paragraph evaluates the usefulness of a procedure whose application is described further in the second paragraph.
D The second paragraph provides evidence to support a claim made in the first paragraph.
E The second paragraph analyzes the practical implications of a methodology proposed in the first paragraph.

The methodology proposed in the first paragraph involves a hypothetical technique for measuring a small solid object’s mass in space (by placing the object on a spring scale and swinging the scale in a circle at the end of a string).

The second paragraph does not discuss practical ways for using THAT hypothetical technique. In other words, the second paragraph does not analyze practical applications of the spring scale/small-solid-object method. Instead, the second paragraph describes a different technique that is analogous to the spring scale/small-solid-object method.

In other words, the second paragraph does not discuss (or analyze) the practical applications of the spring scale/small solid method. Instead, the second paragraph describes an analogous procedure. Furthermore, this analogous procedure is described but is not really analyzed.

Choice (A) is more accurate.

I hope that helps!
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Dec 2015
Posts: 277
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 15:15
1
dcummins wrote:
Instead of saying everyone saying how easy this passage was, why don't you post how you solved? Based on the stats of people who answered, clearly not everyone found this easy.

I personally got the last question incorrect.


I'll try to help you out with that last one, buddy.


The author of the passage mentions observations regarding the period of a double-star system as being useful for determining

A the distance between the two stars in the system
Incorrect. Tricky b/c "distance" is mentioned right after the "period", so if you were rushing/not reading carefully, it might look appealing. But the issue here is that "distance" is lumped in with the "period" to deduce the masses.

B the time it takes for each star to rotate on its axis
Incorrect. Where is the term "axis" mentioned in this paragraph? Why would it even be relevant?

C the size of the orbit the system’s two stars occupy
Incorrect. Nothing is mentioned here that describes the size of the orbit or how that size affects the stars.

D the degree of gravitational attraction between the system’s stars
Correct. I got this by POE. However, even if we read the 2nd paragraph, we know that 2 things are used to help us determine 2 things: 1) the "restraining force"; and 2) the masses. "degree of gravitational attraction" I think, is a fancy way of saying "the restraining force"

E the speed at which the star system moves through space
Incorrect. Nothing is mentioned here that describes the speed at which the star systems move or how this info is used to determine anything meaningful.


I'll be honest, when I first read the question, I was a bit nervous. The big clue I was given was to look at the 2nd paragraph, but after pinpointing the exact place where these things are mentioned, I couldn't find an A/C that fit what I was looking for.
- POE was really helpful for me. So many A/C were so clearly out of scope (A, B, C & E)
- After recognizing this, going back to "D", I can see how "degree of ..." = "restraining force"


Kudos please if you find this helpful :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Feb 2017
Posts: 38
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2018, 18:19
Why not B ? The paragraph talks about the hypothetical situation in the first paragraph. Could you explain where am I going wrong ?
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 1844
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 19:15
Shivikaa wrote:
Why not B ? The paragraph talks about the hypothetical situation in the first paragraph. Could you explain where am I going wrong ?


Quote:
3. Which of the following best describes the relationship between the first and the second paragraph of the passage?
A The first paragraph provides an illustration useful for understanding a procedure described in the second paragraph.
B The first paragraph describes a hypothetical situation whose plausibility is tested in the second paragraph.
C The first paragraph evaluates the usefulness of a procedure whose application is described further in the second paragraph.
D The second paragraph provides evidence to support a claim made in the first paragraph.
E The second paragraph analyzes the practical implications of a methodology proposed in the first paragraph.


We need to consider the entire statement being made in choice (B). You're right to point out that the first paragraph describes a hypothetical technique. That technique is the spring scale/small-solid-object method of measuring mass. However, does the second paragraph test the plausibility of this technique? Is that why the author is bringing up the measurement of attractive force between stars?

The answer is no. The author uses the second paragraph to present an analogous procedure. The point of the second paragraph is not to test whether we can measure mass by measuring the tension of a string between two objects. The point is to describe a different procedure for measuring the mass of stars, referencing the first paragraph as a comparable scenario.

I hope this clarifies why (A) remains the best choice!
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 May 2017
Posts: 14
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.87
WE: Web Development (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 14:02
GMATNinja wrote:
Shivikaa wrote:
Why not B ? The paragraph talks about the hypothetical situation in the first paragraph. Could you explain where am I going wrong ?


Quote:
3. Which of the following best describes the relationship between the first and the second paragraph of the passage?
A The first paragraph provides an illustration useful for understanding a procedure described in the second paragraph.
B The first paragraph describes a hypothetical situation whose plausibility is tested in the second paragraph.
C The first paragraph evaluates the usefulness of a procedure whose application is described further in the second paragraph.
D The second paragraph provides evidence to support a claim made in the first paragraph.
E The second paragraph analyzes the practical implications of a methodology proposed in the first paragraph.


We need to consider the entire statement being made in choice (B). You're right to point out that the first paragraph describes a hypothetical technique. That technique is the spring scale/small-solid-object method of measuring mass. However, does the second paragraph test the plausibility of this technique? Is that why the author is bringing up the measurement of attractive force between stars?

The answer is no. The author uses the second paragraph to present an analogous procedure. The point of the second paragraph is not to test whether we can measure mass by measuring the tension of a string between two objects. The point is to describe a different procedure for measuring the mass of stars, referencing the first paragraph as a comparable scenario.

I hope this clarifies why (A) remains the best choice!



Hello GMATNinja , I agree with your reasoning. However, I originally chose option D. It seemed to me more like an evidence proving what the author said is not baseless but have some grounds even though 2nd para doesn't 100% follow the same hypothesis.
Re: Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl &nbs [#permalink] 17 Jul 2018, 14:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Suppose we were in a spaceship in free fall, where objects are weightl

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.