GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2018, 07:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Taking GMAT in 12 days - have problems and need suggestions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
Taking GMAT in 12 days - have problems and need suggestions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 09:56
Hi everybody!

As it is stated in the topic name, I am taking GMAT on the 21st of June, in 12 days.

I have been studying GMAT for some time now using The Economist GMAT course. In the beginning of May I finished Verbal and Quantitative parts and started working on GMAT Club questions.

However, The Economist practice tests have shown me that I have some problems. I would like to know whether these are really problems and if they are, how I should address them.

First, my scores for 6 exams are 560-580-680-730-590-560. I took the first test before beginning the prepartion and took the second one after finishing Verbal and Quantitative parts. I was really sad to get 580, because it meant that all my efforts were wasted. However, then I got 680 and 730, and it raised my spirits. My the last test was like a nightmare for me - 560. Should I trust these scores? I mean, with each new test I felt that I was getting better and better, which was not always reflected in the score. Moreover, my last 560 test yielded me 16/31 for Q and 21/36 for V. At the same time, 730 was 16/31 for Q (same) and 19/36 for V (lower). So I am not sure whether I should trust the scores. What do you think?

The second point is my pacing. On average I manage to solve 20 +/- 1 tasks in the Quantitative part and 31 +/- 1 on the Verbal part. Should I work on my pacing or is it fine? What score can I hope for with my current pacing? How far is it from 700? I'm not sure if these questions can be answered based on my pacing only, but if it is possible, then I'll be grateful.

Thanks a bunch in advance, guys! This is certainly the best place to study for GMAT :-)
Economist GMAT Tutor Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Taking GMAT in 12 days - have problems and need suggestions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 10:45
Hi Krotishka1,

Were all mock tests Economist CATs? If so, I would highly recommend to take official mock tests:
https://www.mba.com/global/store/store- ... -free.aspx
As you have less than 12 days, I'd do as many OFFICIAL questions as I could.

It is very important to complete all questions on time as the penalty for unattempted questions is severe. You can read more about pacing here:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... anagement/
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... 0(Part%203)%20-%20Linkback%20to%20Part%201
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/arti ... g-pace.cfm

Hope this helps!

本当のライバルは昨日までの自分

V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 10:46
Krotishka1 wrote:
Hi everybody!

As it is stated in the topic name, I am taking GMAT on the 21st of June, in 12 days.

I have been studying GMAT for some time now using The Economist GMAT course. In the beginning of May I finished Verbal and Quantitative parts and started working on GMAT Club questions.

However, The Economist practice tests have shown me that I have some problems. I would like to know whether these are really problems and if they are, how I should address them.

First, my scores for 6 exams are 560-580-680-730-590-560. I took the first test before beginning the prepartion and took the second one after finishing Verbal and Quantitative parts. I was really sad to get 580, because it meant that all my efforts were wasted. However, then I got 680 and 730, and it raised my spirits. My the last test was like a nightmare for me - 560. Should I trust these scores? I mean, with each new test I felt that I was getting better and better, which was not always reflected in the score. Moreover, my last 560 test yielded me 16/31 for Q and 21/36 for V. At the same time, 730 was 16/31 for Q (same) and 19/36 for V (lower). So I am not sure whether I should trust the scores. What do you think?

The second point is my pacing. On average I manage to solve 20 +/- 1 tasks in the Quantitative part and 31 +/- 1 on the Verbal part. Should I work on my pacing or is it fine? What score can I hope for with my current pacing? How far is it from 700? I'm not sure if these questions can be answered based on my pacing only, but if it is possible, then I'll be grateful.

Thanks a bunch in advance, guys! This is certainly the best place to study for GMAT :-)

Hi Krotishka1,

You do not sound and seem to be very confident about taking the exam because of so many issues. Address the followings first and then take the real GMAT:
1. Timing
2. Pacing
3. Score improvement
4. Anxiety
5. confidence

When you start getting consistent scores in CATs and when you feel comfortable taking CAT then you would be ready for exam. If you just want to go and give the real exam a shot then no problem. but rescheduling the exam at this point of time, looks to me a best idea.

Were those 680 and 730 in repeated CATs?

What CATs did you take? were they all economist CATs?

What are the scores of your GMATPrep CATs, if you have taken any.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Director
Director
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 11:10
Krotishka1 wrote:
Hi everybody!

Hi
I would suggest to take a Gmatprep test to know your current level. Gmatprep tests are the most accurate interms of level of questions and the scoring methodology. Your Economist gmat tests show you are in the range of 560-590 with only two tests with 680 and 730. Did you encounter repeated questions in these tests. If yes, then these are not the correct assessment. Since you have only twelve days, take a Gmat prep test immediately and if you are not satisfied, then you can postpone your test date. Hope it helps.
All the best.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 11:47
Akela wrote:
Hi Krotishka1,

Were all mock tests Economist CATs? If so, I would highly recommend to take official mock tests:
https://www.mba.com/global/store/store- ... -free.aspx
As you have less than 12 days, I'd do as many OFFICIAL questions as I could.

It is very important to complete all questions on time as the penalty for unattempted questions is severe. You can read more about pacing here:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... anagement/
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... 0(Part%203)%20-%20Linkback%20to%20Part%201
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/arti ... g-pace.cfm

Hope this helps!

Thanks! Yes, all my CATs were from the Economist. I'd take your advice and complete GMATPrep CAT tomorrow.

As for unaatempted questions, I don't leave any, of course. I just randomly click through those questions I don't have time to solve.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 11:51
HKD1710 wrote:
Krotishka1 wrote:
Hi everybody!

Hi Krotishka1,

You do not sound and seem to be very confident about taking the exam because of so many issues. Address the followings first and then take the real GMAT:
1. Timing
2. Pacing
3. Score improvement
4. Anxiety
5. confidence

When you start getting consistent scores in CATs and when you feel comfortable taking CAT then you would be ready for exam. If you just want to go and give the real exam a shot then no problem. but rescheduling the exam at this point of time, looks to me a best idea.

Thanks for the reply! I'm not quite sure whether I get what you mean by repeated CATs right, but all the questions were new to me, i.e. I hadn't encountered them before.

As of now, I have taken only Economist CATs, but I'm gonna complete a GMATPrep one tomorrow
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 11:53
souvonik2k wrote:
Krotishka1 wrote:
Hi everybody!

Hi
I would suggest to take a Gmatprep test to know your current level. Gmatprep tests are the most accurate interms of level of questions and the scoring methodology. Your Economist gmat tests show you are in the range of 560-590 with only two tests with 680 and 730. Did you encounter repeated questions in these tests. If yes, then these are not the correct assessment. Since you have only twelve days, take a Gmat prep test immediately and if you are not satisfied, then you can postpone your test date. Hope it helps.
All the best.

Thanks for the reply! Nope, I didn't encounter any repeated questions, all of them were new to me. That's why I'm not sure whether Economist is assessing me correctly.
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 12:03
Krotishka1 wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:
Krotishka1 wrote:
Hi everybody!

Hi Krotishka1,

1. Timing
2. Pacing
3. Score improvement
4. Anxiety
5. confidence

Thanks for the reply! I'm not quite sure whether I get what you mean by repeated CATs right, but all the questions were new to me, i.e. I hadn't encountered them before.

As of now, I have taken only Economist CATs, but I'm gonna complete a GMATPrep one tomorrow

Do post about your GMATPrep experience. Also remember you can reschedule the test 7 days before only.

Target - 720-740

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 06:11
HKD1710 wrote:

Do post about your GMATPrep experience. Also remember you can reschedule the test 7 days before only.

I've just completed one of the GMATPrep CATs. My score is 690. Quantitative - 21/31, V - 21/36, IR - 8/12.

Still, I had time to solve 20 and 30 questions in Quantitative and Verbal parts respectively. The rest I clicked through.
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 09:44
Krotishka1 wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:

I've just completed one of the GMATPrep CATs. My score is 690. Quantitative - 21/31, V - 21/36, IR - 8/12.

Still, I had time to solve 20 and 30 questions in Quantitative and Verbal parts respectively. The rest I clicked through.

What is the scaled score in Quant and verbal?
did you mean you had a lot of time left to solve questions?? you did the CAT that fast?

Number of questions correct is a different matter all together. remember following points:

1. Do not randomly guess a question to save time.
2. when you see you are running behind time then leave a question which is tough to solve in 2-3 minutes. because the question that you mark randomly could be an easy one and then it would be a severe penalty.
3. do not get consecutive 3 wrongs.
4. you have to get good accuracy in first set of questions. and then maintain accuracy in next two sets. manage your time in such a way that you do not run for time for last set, because getting so many questions wrong in the last set will be a bigger penalty if 2nd and 3rd set were not too good on accuracy.

Your CAT score is good. is it near to the score you are expecting?

Thanks

Target - 720-740

Re: Taking GMAT in 12 days - have problems and need suggestions   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2018, 09:44

Taking GMAT in 12 days - have problems and need suggestions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR JUNE
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap