It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 08:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Target 770+, last month of prep

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Nov 2017
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

CAT Tests
Target 770+, last month of prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 07:42
Hello everyone,

I'm going to take the GMAT in the 18th of December (little less than a month from now), and I'd like to understand what strategies would be most helpful to get me 770+.
I started my preparation 2 months ago, and already went through the OG, the Verbal and the Quant review. My progression looks something like this:

September
CAT 1 - Veritas: 680 (baseline)
Quant Review overall accuracy: 85%+ (70% on the harder questions)
Verbal Review overall accuracy: 90%+ (similar across all sections)

October
CAT 2 - MGMAT 710 (Q46 V39)
CAT 3 - MGMAT 620 (Q39 V36)
CAT 4 - MGMAT 640 (Q42 V36)
CAT 5 - MGMAT 680 (Q46 V36)
OG Quant accuracy: 90%+ (~85% on the harder ones)
OG Verbal accuracy: 90%+

November
CAT 6 - GMAT Prep 760 (Q50 V42)
CAT 7 - MGMAT 690 (Q45 V37)
GMAT Club Quant CATs: 48, 41, 48, 45
GMAT Quiz accuracy (same difficulty as CATs, on average): 80%

My scores are all over the place and I seem to be getting much better results in non-timed exercises than on actual CATs. Also, I'm being completely destroyed on MGMAT and GMAT club CATs.

My plan for this last month is to focus on the following:
-GMAT Club CATs (weeks 1-4)
-Manhattan advanced quant (weeks 1-2)
-Manhattan SC (weeks 1-2)
-Going through mistakes from all material on week 4

And I'd like to know your opinion about:
- Given my numbers, am I being a little bit too ambitious when aiming for 770?
- How are your experiences with GMAT Club CATs and Manhattan? They're breaking my confidence, and I don't seem to be coping well under timed conditions when doing these
- What material would increase my chances of getting Q51?
- How can I bring Verbal to a consistent 99%?

I'm willing to put in as many hours as needed, I really want that 770!

Thank you

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
User avatar
G
Joined: 15 May 2017
Posts: 177

Kudos [?]: 58 [1], given: 7

Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Target 770+, last month of prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 18:24
1
This post received
KUDOS
antonK wrote:
And I'd like to know your opinion about:
- Given my numbers, am I being a little bit too ambitious when aiming for 770?
- How are your experiences with GMAT Club CATs and Manhattan? They're breaking my confidence, and I don't seem to be coping well under timed conditions when doing these
- What material would increase my chances of getting Q51?
- How can I bring Verbal to a consistent 99%?

I'm willing to put in as many hours as needed, I really want that 770!

Thank you


1. Aiming high is not necessarily a bad thing, but do realize that very, very few people are able to score above 750. a 760 is in the top 2500 in the world, a 770 is probably top 1500 or less.
That is a very excusive bunch. I would treat anything above a 730 as a very elite score.

2. Gmat club math is pretty difficult, and manhattan is definitely regarded as more difficult than the real test. That being said, these tests are NOT the real deal, and the questions are a bit different. Manhattan and gmat club will require more steps, be a little more ..."calculatey"...but don't underestimate the gmat. It is loaded with traps and if you are too focused on just grinding out answers it will catch you off guard.

3.There is a q51 guide in the math section, and general consistency is required. One or two slight mistakes will ensure you do not get to that 51.

4. Nothing will ensure this. There is always a bit of luck involved with the test, as you never know if you face topics that lie along your strengths or your weaknesses.

Kudos [?]: 58 [1], given: 7

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 1170

Kudos [?]: 287 [1], given: 6

Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169
Re: Target 770+, last month of prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 19:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
antonK wrote:
November
CAT 6 - GMAT Prep 760 (Q50 V42)
CAT 7 - MGMAT 690 (Q45 V37)
GMAT Club Quant CATs: 48, 41, 48, 45
GMAT Quiz accuracy (same difficulty as CATs, on average): 80%

My scores are all over the place and I seem to be getting much better results in non-timed exercises than on actual CATs. Also, I'm being completely destroyed on MGMAT and GMAT club CATs.

My plan for this last month is to focus on the following:
-GMAT Club CATs (weeks 1-4)
-Manhattan advanced quant (weeks 1-2)
-Manhattan SC (weeks 1-2)
-Going through mistakes from all material on week 4
It seems you've taken only one GMATPrep (the 760). If that is the case, I strongly suggest that you focus on doing more of those tests in the last month (you have a total of 6 GMATPreps, free and paid). If you didn't already know some of the questions in that test, you're in a good position to get a 770. Something you'll have to keep in mind however, is that when you're aiming for a very high score, it's usually counterproductive to be overly fixated on that score. Use the 770 number as a target, but don't let it sap too much of your mental energy during the actual exam.
_________________

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Kudos [?]: 287 [1], given: 6

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1347

Kudos [?]: 2045 [1], given: 6

Re: Target 770+, last month of prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 22:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I'll echo what Ajitesh says above - in your diagnostic test history, you have only one reliable data point, and that's the 760 on your GMATPrep test. That's a very encouraging data point! But it's possible that you're really a 740 test taker who had a lucky test, or a 780 test taker who had an unlucky test, and if you wanted to more accurately assess your level, you'd want to take another GMATPrep or two and interpolate your results.

That would actually be a good thing to do soon, because it's a bit difficult to give good advice based only on that one score. If you took another test, and your Quant score was any lower than Q50, I'd suggest carefully analysing your errors, reviewing any theory you might need to review, and working on higher level Quant problems until you consistently score a Q50 (or Q51). I say that because that is probably very achievable. But if you're a consistent Q50, it's worth bearing in mind that the jump from Q50 to Q51 is probably the hardest one-point jump you can make on the GMAT. You not only need to eliminate every careless error, but you also need to be able to see, under test conditions, how to solve essentially every problem (including problems that won't resemble anything you've likely seen before). If you're a consistent Q50, it might be more rewarding to emphasize Verbal, where learning even to solve one more problem correctly on a test is going to add a point to your V score.

If you do take another official test, and can post the result here, I think you'll get more reliable advice, but the 760 does suggest that a 770 is within reach. Good luck!
_________________

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 2045 [1], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Nov 2017
Posts: 15

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 6

CAT Tests
Re: Target 770+, last month of prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 00:17
1
This post received
KUDOS
antonK wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm going to take the GMAT in the 18th of December (little less than a month from now), and I'd like to understand what strategies would be most helpful to get me 770+.
I started my preparation 2 months ago, and already went through the OG, the Verbal and the Quant review. My progression looks something like this:

September
CAT 1 - Veritas: 680 (baseline)
Quant Review overall accuracy: 85%+ (70% on the harder questions)
Verbal Review overall accuracy: 90%+ (similar across all sections)

October
CAT 2 - MGMAT 710 (Q46 V39)
CAT 3 - MGMAT 620 (Q39 V36)
CAT 4 - MGMAT 640 (Q42 V36)
CAT 5 - MGMAT 680 (Q46 V36)
OG Quant accuracy: 90%+ (~85% on the harder ones)
OG Verbal accuracy: 90%+

November
CAT 6 - GMAT Prep 760 (Q50 V42)
CAT 7 - MGMAT 690 (Q45 V37)
GMAT Club Quant CATs: 48, 41, 48, 45
GMAT Quiz accuracy (same difficulty as CATs, on average): 80%

My scores are all over the place and I seem to be getting much better results in non-timed exercises than on actual CATs. Also, I'm being completely destroyed on MGMAT and GMAT club CATs.

My plan for this last month is to focus on the following:
-GMAT Club CATs (weeks 1-4)
-Manhattan advanced quant (weeks 1-2)
-Manhattan SC (weeks 1-2)
-Going through mistakes from all material on week 4

And I'd like to know your opinion about:
- Given my numbers, am I being a little bit too ambitious when aiming for 770?
- How are your experiences with GMAT Club CATs and Manhattan? They're breaking my confidence, and I don't seem to be coping well under timed conditions when doing these
- What material would increase my chances of getting Q51?
- How can I bring Verbal to a consistent 99%?

I'm willing to put in as many hours as needed, I really want that 770!

Thank you



Kindly also look at the errors when you are getting score less than 700 in your mocks. That will help.

regards

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 6

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Nov 2017
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

CAT Tests
Re: Target 770+, last month of prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 03:31
Thank you for the advice!
Ian: I will do another GMAT prep CAT later this week and post my result here.

Do any of you still remember your GMAT Club quant CAT scores? I'd like to have a benchmark

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Target 770+, last month of prep   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2017, 03:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Target 770+, last month of prep

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.