Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Parallelismx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5428 [584]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to [#permalink]
The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to whales and in fact include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and is famous for its aggressive hunting pods.

(A) include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and is
Correct. "Include" correctly refers to the plural subject "the 32 species". "which" correctly modifies the the whale and the construction gives the logical meaning.

(B) include the animal known as the killer whale, growing as big as 30 feet long and
"Include" correctly refers to the plural subject "the 32 species" but "growing" modifies the verb " include" , which distorts the meaning

(C) include the animal known as the killer whale, growing up to 30 feet long and being
Same reason as B

(D) includes the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow as big as 30 feet long and is
Subject Verb issue. The 32 species (Plural) have a singular verb "includes "

(E) includes the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and it is
Same as D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [1]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Re: The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to [#permalink]
Kudos
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
I just wondered why it is mentioned in OG that as big as is incorrect here and here I feel is the satisfying reason.

word big relates to size of the whale.

see the below sentences:

• The biggest recorded blue whale was a female in the Antarctic Ocean
    that was 30.5 m long
      (more than 3.5 times the length of a double-decker bus and
      as long as a Boeing 737 plane)
    with an estimated weight of 144 tonnes (almost the same as 2,000 men).
  • The tongue alone of a blue whale can weigh as much as an elephant and an entire football team could stand on it!
  • The heart of a blue whale is about the size of a VW Beetle car and weighs up to 450kg.

Hence we cannot say killer whale can grow as big as 30 feet since it clearly indicates only length. we can only say it is 30 feet long.
we can also say killer whale is as big as size of VW beetle car.(as above)

Great post, except for the last example:

*”The killer whale is as BIG as the SIZE of a VW beetle car.’l

Logically, something can not be as BIG as a SIZE.

You would just compare the “killer whale” to the “VW beetle”

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
I have one doubt anyone can help with option C

C) include the animal known as the killer whale, growing up to 30 feet long and being

Why growing being verb-ing modifier isn't modifying killer whale?
I chose C as i thought its grammatically correct but now i see it's meaning changed but for my knowledge of modifiers. How can you be sure if the modifier (growing) is modifying killer whale or 32 species or any verb?

Please help.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
HC1993 wrote:

C) include the animal known as the killer whale, growing up to 30 feet long and being

I chose C as i thought its grammatically correct but now i see it's meaning changed but for my knowledge of modifiers. How can you be sure if the modifier (growing) is modifying killer whale or 32 species or any verb?

Please help.

Hello HC1993,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the "comma + present participle ("verb+ing" - "growing" in this sentence)" construction modifies the entirety of the preceding clause and in doing so it conveys that the subject of the clause - "The 32 species" in this case - takes the action conveyed through the participle.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
HC1993 wrote:

Please help.

Relying on grammar "rules" often backfires on GMAT SC, unfortunately. Instead, let's simply compare (slightly shortened versions of) choice (A) and choice (C):

Quote:
(A) "The 32 species {...} are closely related to whales and include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long..."

Here we have a noun modifier ("which...") that logically modifies the noun right before it: "the killer whale" (or "the animal known as the killer whale" -- it's the same meaning either way).

The reader doesn't really have to think twice here. It's obvious that the "which" clause describes the killer whale, and there's no reason to go all the way back to the beginning of the sentence.

But here's (C):

Quote:
(C) "The 32 species {...} are closely related to whales and include the animal known as the killer whale, growing up to 30 feet long..."

Sure, "-ing" words can describe nouns (as explained in this article). But if we wanted "growing" to modify "killer whale," why put a comma between them? The comma makes the reader think that the "-ing" modifier describes the entire preceding clause, which doesn't make much sense.

Can you figure out what the author intends here? Sure. But it's awfully confusing, and most readers will have to re-read the sentence to make sense of it.

So, we have one choice where the meaning of the modifier is clear and obvious and another that makes the reader think twice. That gives us a pretty solid reason to choose (A) over (C).

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Send PM
if it was makes up instead of make up , would it have "include" or "includes" or how do we decide that when to use s/es form and when not
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kjo wrote:
if it was makes up instead of make up , would it have "include" or "includes" or how do we decide that when to use s/es form and when not

Yeah, make is one clue that "The 32 species" is plural; another clue is "are" (The 32 species ... are closely related to whales).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Hi Experts,

Is the phrase "as big as 30 feet long" correct?

Thanks
Kitty
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 429
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: Simon
GMAT 1: 580 Q38 V32
GMAT 2: 590 Q49 V23
GMAT 3: 580 Q43 V27
GMAT 4: 630 Q45 V31 (Online)
GMAT 5: 670 Q47 V35 (Online)
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
GMATNinja ExpertsGlobal5 MartyTargetTestPrep

If there were a tense shift in the sentence like this:

The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to whales and in fact include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and was once in danger of extinction.

Would the second 'which' be required to make the sentence parallel?

The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to whales and in fact include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and which was once in danger of extinction.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
UkrHurricane wrote:
If there were a tense shift in the sentence like this:

The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to whales and in fact include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and was once in danger of extinction.

Would the second 'which' be required to make the sentence parallel?

The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to whales and in fact include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and which was once in danger of extinction.

No, the sentence is fine without the second "which."
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts