Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Parallelismx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5428 [584]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [6]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20713 [3]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [1]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to [#permalink]
Kudos
The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to whales and in fact include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and is famous for its aggressive hunting pods.

A. include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and is
B. include the animal known as the killer whale, growing as big as 30 feet long and
C. include the animal known as the killer whale, growing up to 30 feet long and being
D. includes the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow as big as 30 feet long and is
E. includes the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and it is[/quote]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [1]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
Re: The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to [#permalink]
Kudos
The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to whales and in fact include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and is famous for its aggressive hunting pods.

(D) includes the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow as big as 30 feet long and is
(E) includes the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and it is
The subject here is "The 32 species", a plural subject.
Therefore, (D) & (E) are out, on the basis that they both use "includes", which refers to a singular noun.

(B) include the animal known as the killer whale, growing as big as 30 feet long and
In (B), growing is not modifying whales, instead it is modifying the preceding clause

(C) include the animal known as the killer whale, growing up to 30 feet long and being
Same error as in (B) "Correct me if I'm wrong"

(A) include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and is
include (correct verb usage)
, which can (correctly modify the killer whale)
can grow ... and is (parallelism)
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30794 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
lary301254M7 wrote:

(D) includes the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow as big as 30 feet long and is
(E) includes the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and it is
The subject here is "The 32 species", a plural subject.
Therefore, (D) & (E) are out, on the basis that they both use "includes", which refers to a singular noun.

(B) include the animal known as the killer whale, growing as big as 30 feet long and
In (B), growing is not modifying whales, instead it is modifying the preceding clause

(C) include the animal known as the killer whale, growing up to 30 feet long and being
Same error as in (B) "Correct me if I'm wrong"

(A) include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and is
include (correct verb usage)
, which can (correctly modify the killer whale)
can grow ... and is (parallelism)

Hello lary301254M7,

I must say your analysis is very thorough. You talk about very precise errors in the sentence and explain them very thoroughly in a simple way.

You have done a great job with the analysis of this question as well. Your reason to reject choices B and C is absolutely correct.

Keep the good job. :thumbup:

Thanks. :-)
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 620
Schools: ISB '20 NUS '21
GMAT 1: 420 Q26 V13
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
Send PM
I was between A & B, unable to understand why is B incorrect.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:

deddex wrote:
I was between A & B, unable to understand why is B incorrect.

Hi deddex , have you read the thread?

(B) leads to ambiguity.
(A) keeps the focus on the killer whale.

Some people call comma + which (grows) a "noun modifier." It is.

In (B):comma + participle
(comma + ___ING)
modifiers generally modify the entire previous clause, At the least "growing" would have to modify "species." Neither construction accords with the intended meaning.

We have ambiguity: what is growing? The species? The dolphin family?

By contrast, in (A)
comma + which
("which grows) can
modify only the immediately preceding noun, in this case, "the killer whale."

That reference is in accordance with the intended meaning.

Hope that helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Another problem in B is with ' as big as 30 feet long. One can call it either " as big as 30 feet" or just 30 feet long, but not a combination of both big and long.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [14]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one issue at a time, and narrow it down to the correct choice! First, here is the original question with any major differences highlighted in orange:

After a quick glance over the options, a few key differences jump out:

1. include vs. includes
2. which can grow vs. growing
3. and / and is / and being / and it is

Let's tackle #1 on our list first: include vs. includes. No matter which one we choose, we'll eliminate 2-3 options rather quickly. To start, we need to figure out what the verb "include/includes" is referring to:

Since the subject of the sentence is plural, and we also see that the writer used the plural verb "are" earlier on, we need to make sure that all verbs referring to it are also plural:

There you go - we can eliminate options D and E because they use a singular verb, which doesn't agree with the plural subject!

Now that we have it narrowed down to only 3 options, let's tackle #2 on our list: which can grow vs. growing. This is a case of making sure that we use the proper type of modifier to match up with its antecedent. Here is how that works:

Noun modifier = modifies a noun; must start with "which" or "that"
Adverbial modifier = modifies any phrase or word except a noun; starts with -ing verb

In this case, the modifier is supposed to modify the noun "the killer whale." Therefore, we MUST choose the options that use a noun modifier to match the antecedent (a noun). Here is how they break down:

We're in luck - only one option used a noun modifier here! We can eliminate options B and C because they use adverbial modifiers to modify a noun, which doesn't match.

Option A is our correct choice because it uses the proper subject-verb agreement with "include," and it uses the correct form of modifier to modify the noun "the killer whale." We don't even need to tackle #3 on our list because we already narrowed it down to the correct choice.

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
I understood why B, C, D and E are incorrect, but in " which can grow" is modifying killer whale which is singular, so shouldn't it be "which can grows".
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM