GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 23:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

The Bhagvad Gita may be at the centre of a court case

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
The Bhagvad Gita may be at the centre of a court case  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2012, 19:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

29% (00:53) correct 71% (01:12) wrong based on 353 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Friends,
Following is a SC question that I prepared. Please have a look at it.

The Bhagvad Gita may be at the centre of a court case in Russia but the holy book long ceased to be part of judicial proceedings in the land of its conception.

A. The Bhagvad Gita may be at the centre of a court case in Russia but the holy book long ceased to be part of judicial proceedings in the land of its conception.
B. The Bhagvad Gita may be at the centre of a court case in Russia but the holy book has long ceased to be part of judicial proceedings in the land of its conception.
C. The Bhagvad Gita may have been at the centre of a court case in Russia but the holy book has long ceased to be part of judicial proceedings in the land of its conception.
D.The Bhagvad Gita may be at the centre of a court case in Russia but the holy book had long ceased to be part of judicial proceedings in the land of its conception.
E.The Bhagvad Gita was at the centre of a court case in Russia but the holy book has long ceased to be part of judicial proceedings in the land of its conception.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Intern
Intern
B
Re: The Bhagvad Gita may be at the centre of a court case  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2018, 05:38
B as per the Subject verb agreement

Sent from my SM-G610F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2018, 05:46
Chembeti,

Can you explain why C?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2018, 09:15
can someone reply why not B? and moreover C is changing the meaning of the original sentence
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 02:37
Hi MagooshExpert,

Can you reply on why C is the correct answer.

Thanks.,

ucb2k7
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 15:59
Please explain why D is incorrect. According to the sequence of the verbs, it was long ceased. Secondly, the author says about the center of the court case and provides the contrast. So had should come to the latter part of the verb. Please advise.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 10:18
tapasgupta wrote:
Please explain why D is incorrect. According to the sequence of the verbs, it was long ceased. Secondly, the author says about the center of the court case and provides the contrast. So had should come to the latter part of the verb. Please advise.

The use of past perfect is uneccesary in this case because you only have one past tense. If we have atleast two past tenses and want to show that one event happened before another the use of past perfect is valid.

Quote:
D.The Bhagvad Gita may be at the centre of a court case in Russia but the holy book had long ceased to be part of judicial proceedings in the land of its conception.

AS you can see if have a present form and one past perfect form so the use of the latter one is inappropriate. If it were "long ceased" the usage would be correct.

Hope that helps :-)

My goal: 700 GMAT score - REACHED :-) | My debrief - first attempt 710 (Q44,V41,IR7)

If I could help you with my answer, consider giving me Kudos

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 10:31
A is definitely wrong as there is no subject-verb agreement..
acc to me B is correct as there is a subject-verb agreement
C is wrong because the usage of present perfect progressive is not required here as it changes the meaning and i think usage is wrong too.
D is wrong as had is used when there are two past events
E is wrong as it changes the meaning.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2018, 04:31
Between B and C, i initially opted for C , but finally picked B.

My reasoning is 'Have been' in C is passive and B is more straight forward, active and concise.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 21:15
Chembeti wrote:
Friends,
Following is a SC question that I prepared. Please have a look at it.

The Bhagvad Gita may be at the centre of a court case in Russia but the holy book long ceased to be part of judicial proceedings in the land of its conception.

A. The Bhagvad Gita may be at the centre of a court case in Russia but the holy book long ceased to be part of judicial proceedings in the land of its conception.
B. The Bhagvad Gita may be at the centre of a court case in Russia but the holy book has long ceased to be part of judicial proceedings in the land of its conception.
C. The Bhagvad Gita may have been at the centre of a court case in Russia but the holy book has long ceased to be part of judicial proceedings in the land of its conception.
E.The Bhagvad Gita was at the centre of a court case in Russia but the holy book has long ceased to be part of judicial proceedings in the land of its conception.

B should be correct answer to show one is fact at present moment and later part of clause is something which has been completed in past but its effect continues.

In C both of them are in present continuous which doesn't make sense. Also from sequence prospective its not very clear which event happened at first place.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The Bhagvad Gita may be at the centre of a court case &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jul 2018, 21:15

The Bhagvad Gita may be at the centre of a court case

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap