GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2018, 02:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The blue-tipped puffer is a migratory bird that is found along the coa

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The blue-tipped puffer is a migratory bird that is found along the coa [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 14:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:45) correct 42% (01:44) wrong based on 295 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-blue-tip ... 57799.html, this is the link of the old version of this question; expert Mike has retired the old question, and released the new version of the question. Here it is.

The blue-tipped puffer is a migratory bird that is found along the coast of this state in summer months. The puffers enjoy the seeds of Thomson's Mulberry trees; because these trees are plentiful in the state's Coastal Park, traditionally many blue-tipped puffers would be found in the park during summer months. Ten years ago, the grey fox, a primary predator of the puffer, was re-introduced into the park, and its numbers have been thriving. Over that time, we have seen many fewer puffers in the park during the summer months. Clearly, the puffers are choosing to spend their summers elsewhere.

Which of the following would be the most important to determine in order to evaluate the argument?

A What other birds and small mammals the grey fox typically hunts besides the blue-tipped puffers.
B Whether the grey fox eats the fruit of the Thomson's Mulberry trees.
C How the speed of a blue-tipped puffer during take-off from the ground compares to the speed of a grey fox running
D Whether the range of the grey fox within the park extends all the way to the coast.
E Whether other coastal areas in the state have seen an increase in the number of blue-tipped puffers over the last decade.

C,D, and E all sound plausible.
Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member
Re: The blue-tipped puffer is a migratory bird that is found along the coa [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 18:56
chesstitans wrote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-blue-tipped-puffer-is-a-migratory-bird-that-is-found-157799.html, this is the link of the old version of this question; expert Mike has retired the old question, and released the new version of the question. Here it is.

The blue-tipped puffer is a migratory bird that is found along the coast of this state in summer months. The puffers enjoy the seeds of Thomson's Mulberry trees; because these trees are plentiful in the state's Coastal Park, traditionally many blue-tipped puffers would be found in the park during summer months. Ten years ago, the grey fox, a primary predator of the puffer, was re-introduced into the park, and its numbers have been thriving. Over that time, we have seen many fewer puffers in the park during the summer months. Clearly, the puffers are choosing to spend their summers elsewhere.

Which of the following would be the most important to determine in order to evaluate the argument?

A What other birds and small mammals the grey fox typically hunts besides the blue-tipped puffers.
B Whether the grey fox eats the fruit of the Thomson's Mulberry trees.
C How the speed of a blue-tipped puffer during take-off from the ground compares to the speed of a grey fox running
D Whether the range of the grey fox within the park extends all the way to the coast.E
E Whether other coastal areas in the state have seen an increase in the number of blue-tipped puffers over the last decade.

C,D, and E all sound plausible.

Stem - puffers are spending summer elsewhere after the introduction of grey fox.

A - Irrelevant
B - Need additional information to use this option With given info - Irrelevant
C - This information may prove whether Fox can kill puffers but it doesn't tell you if puffers are spending time elsewhere.
D - Very similar to C
E - Correct answer. If other areas have seen an increase, support the stem. Best option even though there may be other reasons driving increase.

Kudos are always welcome.

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3.68
Re: The blue-tipped puffer is a migratory bird that is found along the coa [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 19:09
The point is that the number of puffer itself should not decrease.

E can support (although it is little bit vague)this hidden assumption.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 20:09
E, we have to evaluate this argument by keeping the conclusion in mind that is "puffr choose to spend their summer elsewhere"

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q45 V23
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 08:45

I understood that the answer is E. But can you please help me understand what additional information we need here?
As in may be birds are not anymore found because all the fruits are eaten by the foxes.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 09:30
reach_richa wrote:

I understood that the answer is E. But can you please help me understand what additional information we need here?
As in may be birds are not anymore found because all the fruits are eaten by the foxes.

Stem says -
The blue-tipped puffer is a migratory bird that is found along the coast of this state in summer months. The puffers enjoy the seeds of Thomson's Mulberry trees; because these trees are plentiful in the state's Coastal Park, traditionally many blue-tipped puffers would be found in the park during summer months.

As per stem, Puffers enjoy the seeds not that seeds are the sole reason for migration.

Kudos are always welcome.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2018, 22:57
lostin wrote:
reach_richa wrote:

Stem says -
The blue-tipped puffer is a migratory bird that is found along the coast of this state in summer months. The puffers enjoy the seeds of Thomson's Mulberry trees; because these trees are plentiful in the state's Coastal Park, traditionally many blue-tipped puffers would be found in the park during summer months.

As per stem, Puffers enjoy the seeds not that seeds are the sole reason for migration.

Hi I ALSO CHOSE B.
Even if they enjoy the seeds and lets say the fruits are eaten by the foxes then they wont be able to enjoy the seeds and the conclusion fails.
correct me where I am wrong.
Re: The blue-tipped puffer is a migratory bird that is found along the coa   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2018, 22:57

The blue-tipped puffer is a migratory bird that is found along the coa

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap