GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 10:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

November 24, 2018

November 24, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

The coloration of insects can serve as camouflage, as in the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: USMA
Schools: Columbia, NYU, Dartmouth, Darden
WE 1: Army
WE 2: Consultant
The coloration of insects can serve as camouflage, as in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Jul 2010, 18:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (01:14) correct 38% (01:26) wrong based on 645 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The coloration of insects can serve as camouflage, as in the case of green insects that spend their lives in or near foliage, or to warn predators, as in the case of insects colored in yellow and black, which often signals that it is poisonous.

a) or to warn predators, as in the case of insects colored in yellow and black, which often signals that it is poisonous.

b) or for warning predators, as in the case of insects that have yellow and black coloring, which often signals that it is poisonous.

c) or as a warning to predators, as in the case of insects bearing a combination of yellow and black, which often signals that they are poisonous.

d) or as a predator's warning, as in the case of insects that are colored yellow and black, which often signals that they are poisonous.

e) or to warn predators, as in the case of yellow-and-black insects, which often signals that they are poisonous.

Originally posted by frankida on 15 Jul 2010, 18:42.
Last edited by frankida on 15 Jul 2010, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
The coloration of insects can serve as camouflage, as in the case of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Oct 2015, 16:18
The coloration of insects can serve as camouflage, as in the case of green insects that spend their lives in or near foliage, or to warn predators, as in the case of insects colored in yellow and black, which often signals that it is poisonous.

a. or to warn predators, as in the case of insects colored in yellow and black, which often signals that it is poisonous.

b. or for warning predators, as in the case of insects that have yellow and black coloring, which often signals that it is poisonous.

c. or as a warning to predators, as in the case of insects bearing a combination of yellow and black, which often signals that they are poisonous.

d. or as a predator's warning, as in the case of insects that are colored yellow and black, which often signals that they are poisonous.

e. or to warn predators, as in the case of yellow-and-black insects, which often signals that they are poisonous.

In OA I have a question; "their" refers to green insects, and "they" refers to insected colored in yellow and black. is that okay? I have the feeling something is not okay here. "Their" refers to A while "they" refers to B? Thank you in advance.

Happiness always comes to who always try the best ! Never give up never give in

Originally posted by littlegirl on 28 Oct 2015, 23:49.
Last edited by littlegirl on 29 Oct 2015, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: USMA
Schools: Columbia, NYU, Dartmouth, Darden
WE 1: Army
WE 2: Consultant
Re: coloration of insects  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2010, 18:43
Question- Can someone explain the use of "which" in this instance? For example in C, I assume the "which" refers to "combination" not "black" because it the noun immediately preceding it. Correct?
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: coloration of insects  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2010, 18:57
Right on ! which refers to "combination". Remember there is a preposition before "yellow and black"

c) or as a warning to predators, as in the case of insects bearing a combination of yellow and black, which often signals that they are poisonous.

Moreover "yellow and black" is plural. So verb has to plural "signal". But here the verb is singular - "signals". so which refers to "combination"

frankida wrote:
Question- Can someone explain the use of "which" in this instance? For example in C, I assume the "which" refers to "combination" not "black" because it the noun immediately preceding it. Correct?
Retired Moderator
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Insects  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2011, 19:24
The parallelism here is - "serve as x or serve as y". So choice C is correct, and in this case "warning" is the correct choice for parallelism.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2011, 04:16
3 or as a warning to predators, as in the case of insects bearing a combination of yellow and black, which often signals that they are poisonous.

isnt "they" ambiguous here. it can refer to yellow n black or to predetors. obviously they cannot refer to yellow n black...but still ambiguous isnt it?
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2011, 10:33
pkmme wrote:
in C, "they" may refer to "predators or "insects bearing a combination of yellow and black". isn't it ambiguous?

my take is 4.

D changes the meaning.
"predator's warning" would mean that the insect is the predator. But, it's not so. The warning is for one who preys on the insects. So, the insect is a prey.
Moreover, here "which" incorrectly modifies "yellow and black", whereas it should modify combination.

I am not too sure about the ambiguity about "they". It may be ambiguous, but considering that all the options use some pronoun, we'll just have to ignore that ambiguity and validate the correctness based on other rules.

"C" has no error IMO. "they" could be ambiguous but we can ignore that because rest of the options also contain same ambiguity luckily.

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2011, 11:02
Yeah agreed--none of the choices are better than 3. 1,2 and 5 should be rejected right away. Then you are locked down to 3 and 4, and 3 and 4 both have the same problem of ambiguity of "they". 4 is definitely a weird construction in the beginning. So 3 it is.

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2011, 11:16
Agree; however, i differ from the statement that "they" is ambiguous in D.

4 or as a predator's warning, as in the case of insects that are colored yellow and black, which often signals that they are poisonous.

here "they" has only antecedent as "insects". "predator's" is possessive, so "they" can't refer to it.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2011, 11:22
I agree I missed the point of "they" referring to "predator's", but still "predator's warning" is just not right.

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Retired Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2011, 08:46
in C..what does 'which' refer to? it must be referring to either 'black' (preceding noun) or 'combination' (if we remove the prepositional phrase-of yellow and black),but both if them are incorrect..right? pls explain
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2011, 09:37
'Which' does not refer to the preceding noun, namely black; This is an exception to the touch rule of the relative pronoun; by logic, it relates to the combination, smugly fitting in if you obscure the intermediaries for a while. For predators, yellow and black is a deadly combination that frightens them. ( according to the passage) . Therefore, I think it is reasonable to accept combination as the referent to ‘which

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Director
Director
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2011, 13:05
C is correct. Subhashghosh has the correct explanation.

Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Intern
Intern
Re: The coloration of insects can serve as camouflage, as in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2014, 20:55
---I found a good parallism explanation ---

"as camouflage, as in the case" is parallel to "as a warning to predators, as in the case" -- which is the only reason why C is correct. In E , "to warn predators, as in the case" is not parallel to "as camouflage, as in the case"
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 520 Q44 V17
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V33

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2015, 12:09
frankida wrote:

a) or to warn predators, as in the case of insects colored in yellow and black, which often signals that it is poisonous.

b) or for warning predators, as in the case of insects that have yellow and black coloring, which often signals that it is poisonous.

d) or as a predator's warning, as in the case of insects that are colored yellow and black, which often signals that they are poisonous.

e) or to warn predators, as in the case of yellow-and-black insects, which often signals that they are poisonous.

The question is testing the knowledge of sentence modification and parallelism. There must be parallelism across "or" . serve as x or as Y. In between the part is descriptive and removable.
The coloration of insects can serve as camouflage, or as warning to predators. Here both Camouflage and warning are nouns. Verbing words work as Noun as well.
Ex- Dancing is a good exercise.
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The coloration of insects can serve as camouflage, as in the case of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 21:08

a. or to warn predators, as in the case of insects colored in yellow and black, which often signals that it is poisonous.
(Insects needed to be in plural form parallel to green insects and it(Singular pronoun) does not correlate with its antecedent.)

b. or for warning predators, as in the case of insects that have yellow and black coloring, which often signals that it is poisonous.
(Pronoun issue repeats here.)

c. or as a warning to predators, as in the case of insects bearing a combination of yellow and black, which often signals that they are poisonous.
Correct choice with no major errors as in other options.

d. or as a predator's warning, as in the case of insects that are colored yellow and black, which often signals that they are poisonous.
(An insect cannot spend its life as a predator warning. Does not make sense.
Also colored error repeats here.)

e. or to warn predators, as in the case of yellow-and-black insects, which often signals that they are poisonous.
here which refers to insects but insects dont signal anything their color does. So incorrect due to meaning error.

littlegirl wrote:
In OA I have a question; "their" refers to green insects, and "they" refers to insects colored in yellow and black. is that okay? I have the feeling something is not okay here. "Their" refers to A while "they" refers to B? Thank you in advance.

I think this is absolutely OK as long as there is no ambiguity in meaning.
Manager
Manager
B
The coloration of insects can serve as camouflage, as in the case of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 04:58
Hi Mechmeera,

I apology in advance if i still keep asking too much since I am not satisfied.

I still think that " their" refers to A while " they " refers to B faced pronoun error.

However, I remember a real GMAT question which was explained by an Manhantan expert :
To meet the rapidly rising market demand for fish and seafood, suppliers are growing fish twice as fast as their natural growth rate, cutting their feed allotment by nearly half and raising them on special diets

A) their natural growth rate, cutting their feed allotment
B) their natural growth rate, their feed allotment cut
C) growing them naturally, cutting their feed allotment
D) they grow naturally, cutting their feed allotment
E) they grow naturally, with their feed allotment cut

Question : one question.. are the pronoun they and thier are correctly refering to thier antecedent. i am confused beacause 'They', is close to 'suppliers' so, it may refer to supplier.
please clarify
Replied by Ron : this is a good point -- the correct answer to this problem, yet again, contains a pronoun that is technically ambiguous.

however, as we've seen again and again and again and again, not all ambiguous pronouns are incorrect!

so here's the simplest way of making the decision:

1) if you see an AMBIGUOUS PRONOUN that is REPLACED BY THE CORRECT NOUN in OTHER ANSWER CHOICES, then ELIMINATE the ambiguous pronoun and keep the specific noun.
for an example, see problem 68 in the blue verbal supplement, in which "them" is split against "these companies".

HOWEVER,
2) if you see an ambiguous pronoun that is NOT replaced by the correct noun in any of the other answer choices, then DON'T eliminate!

for an example, see problem 21 in the blue verbal supplement (in which the correct answer contains a technically ambiguous pronoun).
or see the problem in this thread!

So I think this problem faced the same issue. Before we check for pronoun ( with no options with the correct ), we check for other errors first. So "serve as or as " is correct idiom then A, B, E out. D changes meaning that is why C is correct. Kind of the best of the worst options . How do you think abou that?

Happiness always comes to who always try the best ! Never give up never give in

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The coloration of insects can serve as camouflage, as in the case of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 05:32
Littlegirl wrote:

Quote:
In OA I have a question; "their" refers to green insects, and "they" refers to insects colored in yellow and black. Is that okay? I have the feeling something is not okay here. "Their" refers to A while "they" refers to B? Thank you in advance.

Why not?

You will appreciate that in the case of fixing pronouns, it is the logic that is the ultimate decider. Especially when there two entities that are distinctly different, each entity will be referred by its own appropriate pronoun. For example:

We like the Latin American soccer players because of their rhythmic ballet–like movements in the play, while we relish European players, as they excel in power-play. (Or even) --- we relish Europeans because of their power play) --same pronoun referring to two different referents. Anything wrong in these things?

Please note that all the three eligible choices use the same pronouns ‘their and they'. If you have to reject, you have to reject all the three of them. Then this question itself becomes suspect.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
S
Schools: Copenhagen, ESMT"19
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 02:18
IMO C
1 or to warn predators, as in the case of insects colored in yellow and black, which often signals that it is poisonous. Pronoun error
2 or for warning predators, as in the case of insects that have yellow and black coloring, which often signals that it is poisonous. same as above
3 or as a warning to predators, as in the case of insects bearing a combination of yellow and black, which often signals that they are poisonous. correct answer
4 or as a predator's warning, as in the case of insects that are colored yellow and black, which often signals that they are poisonous. Change in meaning
5 or to warn predators, as in the case of yellow-and-black insects, which often signals that they are poisonous. which modifies insects
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2017, 23:23

1 or to warn predators, as in the case of insects colored in yellow and black, which often signals that it is poisonous.
2 or for warning predators, as in the case of insects that have yellow and black coloring, which often signals that it is poisonous.
3 or as a warning to predators, as in the case of insects bearing a combination of yellow and black, which often signals that they are poisonous. This looks correct but I rejected this because of "they" which is ambiguous
4 or as a predator's warning, as in the case of insects that are colored yellow and black, which often signals that they are poisonous. I marked C as it is grammatically correct but as per discussion, it does changes meaning
5 or to warn predators, as in the case of yellow-and-black insects, which often signals that they are poisonous.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The coloration of insects can serve as camouflage, as in the &nbs [#permalink] 12 May 2017, 23:23

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

The coloration of insects can serve as camouflage, as in the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap