GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 00:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of dollars

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of dollars  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2009, 07:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (00:56) correct 25% (01:13) wrong based on 2192 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Which of the following best completes the passage below?

The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of dollars when users illegally copy programs without paying for them is greatly exaggerated. Most of the illegal copying is done by people with no serious interest in the programs. Thus, the loss to the industry is much smaller than estimated because______________.

(A) many users who illegally copy programs never find any use for them
(B) most people who illegally copy programs would not purchase them even if purchasing them were the only way to obtain them
(C) even if the computer industry received all the revenue it claims to be losing, it would still be experiencing financial difficulties
(D) the total market value of all illegal copies is low in comparison to the total revenue of the computer industry
(E) the number of programs that are frequently copied illegally is low in comparison to the number of programs available for sale
Most Helpful Community Reply
Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Re: The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of dollars  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Oct 2016, 00:06
THE CORRECT ANSWER IS B

Imagine a physically handicapped person who cannot drive . Lets say he cannot drive a bike because he has no arms (hands).
One day while cleaning his house he finds a brand new, expensive, sports helmet for a racing bike.

IS THE HELMET ANY GOOD FOR HIM? NO IT IS NOT. DID HE PAID MONEY TO BUY IT. NO HE JUST FOUND IT (FREE). MAY BE EARLIER TENANT FORGET IT IN THE HOUSE.

WOULD HE EVER BUY THE HELMET HIMSELF... NO.. ITS A WASTE OF MONEY. HE CANNOT DRIVE A BIKE BECAUSE HE HAS NO HANDS. SO WHY WOULD HE WASTE MONEY ON A HELMET.

SO ESSENTIALLY HE WILL BE HAVE THE HELMET STORED SOMEWHERE IN HIS CUPBOARD.

Similarly:- Imagine a person who doesn't know how to use software "XYZ". But he downloads a pirated version of a software XYZ . He downloads it because he can. Because it's free. But is the pirated software any use to him. Absolutely not !! He does not know how to use XYZ. So just like the helmet , the sofware XYZ will get stored somewhere in his computer hard drive. It will never be used.

NOW THINK :- If piracy is banned what will happen. It would become impossible possible to download pirated software.
Now will the person buy software XYZ. NO. Why would he ?
He don't use it at all. Why would he waste money on something that is of no use to him.

SO the software industry claim that they are losing millions because of piracy is not valid.

THE SOFTWARE INDUSTRY SAYS :- "LETS US PUT AND END TO PIRACY".

What will happen. Most of the free loaders who just download the software for fun will not be able to download the software.
In any case the sale will not increase.
Hence No increase in revenue for the software industry.

WHAT OPTION MATCHES OUR PRE-THINKING ?

B) Most of the illegally copied programs would not be purchased even if purchasing them were the only way to obtain them

crejoc wrote:
The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of dollars when users illegally copy programs without paying for them is greatly exaggerated. Most of the illegal copying is done by people with no serious interest in the programs. Thus, the loss to the industry is much smaller than estimated because

A.many users who illegally copy programs never find any use for them
B.most of the illegally copied programs would not be purchased even if purchasing them were the only way to obtain them
C.even if the computer industry received all the revenue it claims to be losing, it would still be experiencing financial difficulties
D.the total market value of all illegal copies is low in comparison to the total revenue of the computer industry
E.the number of programs that are frequently copied illegally is low in comparison to the number of programs available for sale

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Originally posted by LogicGuru1 on 10 Jul 2016, 11:02.
Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 01 Oct 2016, 00:06, edited 3 times in total.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Re: The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of dollars  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2009, 08:17
crejoc wrote:
The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of dollars when users illegally copy programs without paying for them is greatly exaggerated. Most of the illegal copying is done by people with no serious interest in the programs. Thus, the loss to the industry is much smaller than estimated because

B.most of the illegally copied programs would not be purchased even if purchasing them were the only way to obtain them

C.even if the computer industry received all the revenue it claims to be losing, it would still be experiencing financial difficulties

D.the total market value of all illegal copies is low in comparison to the total revenue of the computer industry

E.the number of programs that are frequently copied illegally is low in comparison to the number of programs available for sale

The part I edited out "points a finger" at B. If I really need some sort of computer software that I can't get without paying, then I'll surely pay for it. If I'm only marginally interested in it, then I might just ignore it.

Arguments for eliminating the rest:

A. doesn't matter if they do or do not use them, the idea is that piracy is still there

C. financial difficulties are not relevant here; the fact that piracy means losses is

D. while that may be true, but, again, the companies would still experience losses

E. similar to E
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2009, 08:25
I would go for E.. Option (B) would cause losses to the industry but the conclusion states that the loss to the industry is much smaller..and option (E) states that number of programs (illegal) are slow compared to those put up for sale.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Aug 2009, 10:31
sanoasis wrote:
I would go for E.. Option (B) would cause losses to the industry but the conclusion states that the loss to the industry is much smaller..and option (E) states that number of programs (illegal) are slow compared to those put up for sale.

number of programs copied illegally and number of programs for sale is irrelevant, if it is low or high, anyway there is loss due to piracy, the answer we need is which explains that the actual loss to the industry due to piracy is much less than estimated loss...

Originally posted by crejoc on 18 Aug 2009, 10:16.
Last edited by crejoc on 18 Aug 2009, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2009, 10:22
DanaJ wrote:
crejoc wrote:
The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of dollars when users illegally copy programs without paying for them is greatly exaggerated. Most of the illegal copying is done by . Thus, the loss to the industry is much smaller than estimated because

The part I edited out "points a finger" at B. If I really need some sort of computer software that I can't get without paying, then I'll surely pay for it. If I'm only marginally interested in it, then I might just ignore it.

people with no serious interest in the programs isn't this pointing bolded in A, For me A and B are so close ..
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2009, 10:46
DanaJ wrote:
crejoc wrote:

I agree with B

I got it now, A is stating what is needed indirectly, and B states directly, as we are finding the actual loss in money, not purchasing them will decrease the estimated loss. I agree with B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2009, 23:29
B.

A does not link to $$$ as much as B does.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2009, 01:12
crejoc wrote:
Most of the illegal copying is done by people with no serious interest in the programs. Thus, the loss to the industry is much smaller than estimated because

OA later after discussion..

E is irrevelant with the premise (bold part) just two choices are agree with bold part. If most of the illegally copied programs would not be purchased because the users have no or little interest with these programs they just copy to try them. So the answer is B

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2009, 04:07
B is a no-brainer.

Author states "millions of dollars", an absolute value, not a relative amount. Therefore, even if the pirated copies were only .0001% of revenues, E would still be wrong.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2009, 05:31
Wow good question

would go with E wats the OA
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2011, 03:34
author fail to mentioned THE so called O.A.----B
I have seen this in my old LSAT tests. B is superior than A ,Because we need to justify that piracy actually cause little bit of harm.........If one don't buy ,If there is no piracy then this is true that companies are exaggerating their financial loses by piracy .

Quote:
Give me Kudos ,So that I can post more useful O.E.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2011, 05:50
crejoc wrote:

OA later after discussion..

This is "explain the argument question"
Let's do it by POE -
(A) - The word "never", makes this option too extreme. Incorrect.
(B) - Nothing wrong in it. Let's hold on to it.
(C) - This answer choice talks about "financial difficulties" of computer industry and does not explain why the losses claimed are exaggerated. Incorrect.
(D) - This answer option compares "the total market value of all illegal copies" to " the total revenue of the computer industry" and does not explain why the losses claimed are exaggerated. Incorrect.
(E) - This answer option compares "the number of programs that are frequently copied illegally is low" to " the number of programs available for sale" and does not explain why the losses claimed are exaggerated. Incorrect.

(B) wins by POE.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2012, 21:08

A.many users who illegally copy programs never find any use for them even if users doesn't use copied program, that doesn't rule out the possibility of lost revenue due to copying of program.

B.most of the illegally copied programs would not be purchased even if purchasing them were the only way to obtain them this options ends the alternate possibility that user might have bought the software program if he/she hasn't copied it. IMO Correct answer

C.even if the computer industry received all the revenue it claims to be losing, it would still be experiencing financial difficulties : stimulus talk about missing revenue because of illegal copying of program, it has nothing to do with situation after regaining this missing revenue

D.the total market value of all illegal copies is low in comparison to the total revenue of the computer industry out of scope ... argument is concerned with estimated loss of revenue due to copying, it has nothing to do with its relative amt wrt total revenue

E.the number of programs that are frequently copied illegally is low in comparison to the number of programs available for sale out of scope
Director
Director
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2013, 00:16
Yes B is right.

Argument says : Most of the illegal copying is done by people with no serious interest in the programs.
Means they might be copying free wares or any software they obtained from any source such as digital magazine or may be microsoft windows... etc.

B. Most people who illegally copies them would not purchase them even if purchasing is the only way to obtain them, it means they are not surely coping microsoft windows .... and definitely these fools are copying free wares, which are easily available.

But why author think so that these people are not interested in selling MS windows like software, or buyers of such software will really purchase them when there are other ways to obtain them. I think buyer and seller are both assumed as dumb by author.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2013, 00:58
B for me because it points out that the claims by the computer industry are highly exaggerated. i.e even if they tried to sell the purpoted copied programs. no one would actually buy them. So were is the loss?
SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2013, 10:21
Regarding (A) vs (B):

So the claim/argument is that computer industry is losing lots of $$$$.

Then the author judges that claim/argument with his conclusion:

"Thus, the loss to the industry is much smaller than estimated because...."

Well, the reason must be because there is no IMPACT or CHANGE IN $$$$$ as a result of this illegal copying.

We are looking for an answer choice that mentions $$$, or sales, or purchases.

(A) does not mention money or sales or purchases - "many users who illegally copy programs never find any use for them" --- simply "never find use" is not good enough.

We need something that directly connects illegal copying to money or sales.

In (B): "most of the illegally copied programs would not be purchased even if purchasing them were the only way to obtain them"---- we finally mention that most of illegal copying has no impact on PURCHASES--that's what we want.

So the difference between (A) and (B) is that (A) does not connect it to money or sales, while (B) does.

more: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... stion/2977
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2014, 16:18
crejoc wrote:

Could you help me to analyze the gap in the argument and the answer choices?
I still dont get the point in previous explaination.
Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2014, 07:05
I found this question to be a bit tricky and I think the answer is B.
Going along the lines of argument if people who copy such programs are not interested in those programs, then probably they wouldn't purchase them even if purchasing was the only way

But I do not get why D is incorrect?

we are told that the market value of copied programs is low when compared to computer industry revenue.
Is this choice wrong because it doesn't tell us how much low is the market value of such programs?

suppose the market value is 1million but computer industry revenue is 1 Billion then conclusion is strengthened

But, if market value is 200 million I(which is low when compared to revenue of 1 billion as stated) but the loss is not negligible and in this case conclusion is weakened.

So this choice D fails to tell how low is the loss. have i eliminated this choice on the right basis?

Thanks

I'm on 680... 20 days to reach 700 +

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: University of texas at
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Research (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2014, 00:52
Why A is wrong: "many users" who illegally copy programs never find any use for them.

The term user lets us know that the company is losing at least some of its revenue since the users are copying instead of buying.

Why B is right: most of the illegally copied programs would not be purchased even if purchasing them were the only way to obtain them.

Its is written in passive voice. The illegal copiers may be profiteers or users. If they are profiteers, they will copy with the intention to sale and make a profit. However since no one purchases, it the company will not lose it share of users i.e. revenue to the profiteers.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of dollars &nbs [#permalink] 15 Nov 2014, 00:52

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 28 posts ] 

The computer industry's estimate that it loses millions of dollars

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap