GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 04:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The demand for large, family-sized vehicles will slump dramatically

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior RC Moderator
V
GPA: 3.39
The demand for large, family-sized vehicles will slump dramatically  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2019, 21:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:56) correct 46% (01:49) wrong based on 107 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The demand for large, family-sized vehicles will slump dramatically over the next ten years. Steel plating is a component used in these vehicles, and to obtain maximum price reduction on it, major automobile companies order it five years in advance of delivery, but they are postponing orders now.

Which of the following must be evaluated to validate the decision made by the major automobile companies?

A. Whether the other components used in these vehicles have been ordered well in advance.

B. Whether the other components used in these vehicles are in short supply.

C. Whether the price of steel plating would rise significantly over the years.

D. Whether these companies cannot resell steel plating to other automobile companies at a bearable loss.

E. Whether the demand for small-sized vehicles will also slump dramatically over the next ten years.

Source: Manhattan Review

B
CAT Tests
Re: The demand for large, family-sized vehicles will slump dramatically  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2019, 02:49
Hi Bunuel,

I chose C, which appears to be the correct answer but I chose it by POE. Could you please explain choice C? And would this be a 700 level q?

Posted from my mobile device
Senior RC Moderator
V
GPA: 3.39
Re: The demand for large, family-sized vehicles will slump dramatically  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 02:46
RITESH24 wrote:
someone please explain'

Official Explanation

Argument construction

In the next decade, the demand for a certain type of car will go down. Companies generally order steel plating 5 years in advance to get the maximum discount from suppliers. It follows that the companies would have ordered steel plating for this type of car 5 years in advance when these types of cars had consistent demand. Now, after the companies learnt that the demand for this car type will go down, they want to postpone the orders for steel plating.

Predict an Evaluator

The major automobile companies tread cautiously. They anticipate that if the demand for the large, family-sized vehicles slumps to such an extent that they have to stop making these types of vehicles, then the pre-ordered steel plating would go waste and become a liability for them. However, if the demand for these types of vehicles does not slump to the extent that they have to stop making these types of vehicles, they may then, at that point in time, order the required amount of steel plating, though they will not get the hefty discount they would have got with an order made 5-years in advance. This seems to be the most rational decision.

Before postponing the orders, the major automobile companies must evaluate that if they would need steel plating in future, its supply will remain consistent and also, that its price is not likely to rise significantly higher than the present rates.

Predictive evaluator 1: Is the availability and the supply of steel plating likely to be consistent in the future?

Predictive evaluator 2: Will the price of steel plating rise significantly in future?

B

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 03:15
Quote:
Hi Bunuel,

I chose C, which appears to be the correct answer but I chose it by POE. Could you please explain choice C? And would this be a 700 level q?

Automobiles companies postpone their steel orders to obtain maximum price reduction

A. Whether the other components used in these vehicles have been ordered well in advance -> irrelevant, well or not, these companies still can obtain max reduction

B. Whether the other components used in these vehicles are in short supply. -> the other components are irrelevant, question concerns about steel

C. Whether the price of steel plating would rise significantly over the years. -> here it is, if the price rises significantly over the year, these companies cannot obtain maximum reduction

D. Whether these companies cannot resell steel plating to other automobile companies at a bearable loss. -> irrelevant, the companies's objective is to obtain maximum reduction, not to resell at a bearable loss.

E. Whether the demand for small-sized vehicles will also slump dramatically over the next ten years ->irrelevant, the demand for small-sized vehicles cannot use to judge the price of a family-sized vehicles's component.

So C. Hope it helps. Please help to point out my fault if you think my thought is flawed.

Thank so much!
-M.A
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The demand for large, family-sized vehicles will slump dramatically   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2019, 03:15

The demand for large, family-sized vehicles will slump dramatically

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics