Last visit was: 21 Jul 2024, 18:26 It is currently 21 Jul 2024, 18:26
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 36731 [6]
Given Kudos: 5831
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 292
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Schools: ISB '23 (S)
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 292
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: The fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage [#permalink]
Kudos
Jaya6 wrote:
Gknight5603 wrote:
1.E
2. D
3. B

Waiting for the OA

Posted from my mobile device

Hello,

could you please explain the solution to the 3rd question?

From the lines in the passage:

Investments in product quality, like those in marketing and distribution, must be weighed against other types of investments with regard to direct, tangible benefits, such as increased profitability (including one or both of decreased costs and increased revenues) resulting from an investment.

We can infer that the author is suggesting care while adopting any technique for competitive advantage.

And in para 2 the author has provided one example for justifying his or her suggestion.

so B is clearly fit for primary purpose
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
Re: The fact that a superior product can generate a competitive advantage [#permalink]
Bookmarks
OE for question number 3 please
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [2]
Given Kudos: 96
Schools: WHU MBA (A)
GRE 1: Q167 V156
Send PM
Kudos
Anshuman0902 wrote:
OE for question number 3 please

Hi!

Let me try explaining my take to Q.3. I hope this helps!

The author starts by discussing that one factor of business(product quality) might be important, but, there are other important factors such as marketing and distribution, must be weighed against other types of investments with regard to direct, tangible benefits and gives us different cases and scenarios for investing. And then strengthens this view by providing the example of the toy manufacturer.

3. This primary purpose of this passage is to

A. compare potential positive and negative outcomes of a type of business investment.-->The author does not specifically discusses the positive and negative outcomes.--OUT
B. suggest greater due diligence into a type of business investment.-->I could hold on to this one, because the author while presenting the cases and scenario suggests to be careful while investing in a particular type of business investment, which might or might not be profitable to the organization as much as some other investment might be.--HOLD
C. illustrate a variety of cases in which a type of business investment could fail to achieve greater revenue.-->This is definitely not the primary purpose as the author discusses the cases primarily to strengthen some other part of the passage--OUT
D. analyze the general problems of a company caused by a certain type of business investment.-->The author does not discuss certain type of business investment, rather he discusses various types of investments apart from this, the author primary purpose is not to analyse but to suggest something from the analysis--OUT
E. criticize the manner in which managers tend to consider costs and benefits of business investments--Straight OUT.

IMO B

Do let me know if the reasoning behind the above explanation is wrong! I'd be happy to hear
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
It took me 07:18 to finish question 1.

Okay, I'm totally new here but I think we can agree to eliminate option A because it is not an "exceptional" case.

Then move on to option B, well...basically I know it's a bit detail-oriented not sure whether this is right or not. anyway, I'll keep it and check back later...

And option C, I don't think the author writes the whole paragraph just to demonstrate the analysis of weighing decision.

D. contradict the delivery

E. It is pretty general but can't find any flaw so I will go for this answer. period.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6989 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14065 posts