GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 05:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The fight against the drug trade in Country X should focus

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
The fight against the drug trade in Country X should focus  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2007, 12:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (01:31) correct 41% (01:38) wrong based on 169 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The fight against the drug trade in Country X should focus for the time being on tightening the country’s borders and targeting its major smugglers. Wiping out poppy fields in rural areas means even greater hardship for an economically depressed farming population. Rather, the United Nations and the government of Country X must carefully rebuild agricultural infrastructure in areas where the economy depends on these poppy fields.

What purpose do the two boldface sentences serve in the passage?

1) The first is the conclusion drawn by the speaker; the second is the alternative to that conclusion.
2) The first is a short-term solution to a problem; the second is a long-term solution to the same problem.
3) The first presents a problem; the second poses an ideal solution to the problem.
4) The first presents a popular solution to a problem; the second presents a solution preferred by the author.
5) The first presents an argument; the second presents evidence to support the argument.
Manager
Manager
Re: The fight against the drug trade in Country X should focus  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2007, 12:43
beckee529 wrote:
The fight against the drug trade in Country X should focus for the time being on tightening the country’s borders and targeting its major smugglers. Wiping out poppy fields in rural areas means even greater hardship for an economically depressed farming population. Rather, the United Nations and the government of Country X must carefully rebuild agricultural infrastructure in areas where the economy depends on these poppy fields.

1) The first is the conclusion drawn by the speaker; the second is the alternative to that conclusion.
2) The first is a short-term solution to a problem; the second is a long-term solution to the same problem.
3) The first presents a problem; the second poses an ideal solution to the problem.
4) The first presents a popular solution to a problem; the second presents a solution preferred by the author.
5) The first presents an argument; the second presents evidence to support the argument.

man these are so tricky.. i still struggle with these..
explanation to answer choices would be appreciated :)

B..'for the time being' clearly states dat dis is a short term solution
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2007, 12:54
beckee529 wrote:

B too.

There isn't quite a conclusion in here.
1st bold face said that "at the time being" the government should...(recommendation)
2nd boldface said that gov should rebuild...(another recommendation)
Both recommendations, one short term, one long term.
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2007, 13:12
beckee529 wrote:

B by POE.
A: the first is a conclusion, but the second is not an alternative.
C: the first does not present a problem, but lists a possible solution to the problem.
D:The first is not a popular solution.
E: the first does present an argument, but the second is not evidence. This choice is a bit tricky. U gotta realize that the second part is just another suggestion. Therfore it is NOT evidence!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2007, 14:55
Lol, me too find such questions tricky.

Anyway, B seems a bit too easy and beckee, I think that if B were the answer, this question wouldn't be on the forum. Atleast you've not put that here. right?

Anyway B is my choiceand If OA isn't B then my vote will go for A.
I will explain later
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2007, 16:02
Lord I hate these bold face questions.

But my answer is B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2007, 16:11
beckee529 wrote:

Def. B

The fight against the drug trade in Country X should focus for the time being on tightening the country’s borders and targeting its major smugglers

This would be the short term

Rather, the United Nations and the government of Country X must carefully rebuild agricultural infrastructure in areas where the economy depends on these poppy fields

But people would continue to depend on poppy for lively hood and still continue to grow and smuggle so do overcome that set up agricultural infrastructure so that its legal and people can obtain a lively hood.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2007, 12:42
thanks guys for the explanations.. OA is B. can't believe i missed this one.. i think i was looking too much into the answer choices when i should have taken a step back and understand the overall scope/function of the argument.

Here is the OA/OE:

The first boldface sentence states that the fight against the drug trade in Country X should focus for the time being on tightening the country’s borders and targeting its major smugglers. The second boldface sentence states that the United Nations and the government of Country X should eventually replace the poppy fields with other farming ventures ("agricultural infrastructure"). We need to find a choice that describes the relationship between these two sentences.

(A) This choice states that the first sentence is the conclusion and that the second sentence is an alternative to that conclusion. This misrepresents the relationship. The first sentence is a shorter-term conclusion and the second sentence is a longer-term conclusion of the argument.

(B) CORRECT. This choice states that the first sentence is a short-term solution to a problem and the second a long-term solution to the same problem. This accurately describes the relationship. The first sentence states that the fight should focus "for the time being" on borders and smuggling while the second sentence states that the United Nations and the government of Country X should work to replace the poppy crop with something else.

(C) This choice states that the first sentence presents a problem. According to the text, however, the first sentence is not a problem but a solution to a problem.

(D) This choice states that the first sentence presents a popular solution to a problem. Since we have no way of knowing whether the solution is popular, this cannot be correct.

(E) This choice states that the first sentence presents an argument and that the second sentence provides evidence to support that argument. Though the first sentence does present an argument, the second sentence, rather than providing evidence, presents a second argument.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2015, 11:46
B makes sense, however one thing to add about A.

A: The first is the conclusion drawn by the speaker; the second is the alternative to that conclusion.

How come you also say that the second is not alternative to the first, when in fact the author clearly says "not X, rather Y". This implies the alternative.
Anyhow, neither first nor second are conclusions really, so this cannot be the right answer. But the way I see it, in B, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, the second is still the alternative to the first. Or?
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 08:24
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

Re: The fight against the drug trade in Country X should focus &nbs [#permalink] 12 Jul 2018, 08:24

The fight against the drug trade in Country X should focus

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap