GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 21:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

The Great Wall Space Agency’s recent attempts to launch a man into spa

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Berkeley Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
The Great Wall Space Agency’s recent attempts to launch a man into spa  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Nov 2014, 04:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (00:53) correct 16% (01:28) wrong based on 168 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Great Wall Space Agency’s recent attempts to launch a man into space, a major goal of their space program for the past few years, has not substantially decreased the gaps existing between the technology-rich and technology-poor cities around the space center.

(A) has not substantially decreased the gaps existing

(B) has not been substantial in decreasing the gap that exists

(C) has not made a substantial decrease in the gap that exists

(D) have not substantially decreased the gap that exists

(E) have not been substantial in a decrease of the gap that exists

I am confused regarding the structure of this question .... i will break it down in the next post .

Originally posted by shelrod007 on 02 Nov 2014, 05:39.
Last edited by carcass on 03 Nov 2014, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the title of the question
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Great Wall Space Agency’s recent attempts to launch a man into spa  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2014, 05:47
I tried to break the question in the following manner

The Great Wall Space Agency’s recent attempts to launch a man into space, a major goal of their space program for the past few years, has not substantially decreased........

Great Wall Space Agency's : is in the possessive form , singular
attempts : Singular verb ..

But who is the their referring to here ? if their is referring to agency then it should be it ?

I am not sure if i have split the sentence wrong
Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The Great Wall Space Agency’s recent attempts to launch a man into spa  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2014, 05:51
D it is: have not substantially decreased the gap that exists

The Great Wall Space Agency’s recent attempts to launch a man into space, a major goal of their space program for the past few years, have not substantially decreased the gap that exists between the technology-rich and technology-poor cities around the space center.

You are right about "their" but because it is in the non underlined part so that is moot point; however, i will strongly suggest you to check the source again
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2014, 05:56
aditya8062 I am referring to the gmat andriod toolkit ... another question here isn't attempts here the verb to the Great Wall Space Agency’s ?

I mean if i ask the question who's attempts ? It would point me back to "The Great Wall Space Agency's ...
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2014, 06:08
Quote:
I am referring to the gmat andriod toolkit ...

not sure what u r asking

Quote:
another question here isn't attempts here the verb to the Great Wall Space Agency’s ?

kindly write more readable sentences. for instance if i would have asked this same question then i would have written the following: isn't "attempts", the verb, refers to the "Great Wall Space Agency’s"? (see how i have used the "apposition" and "italicized" words). this makes it more readable !!
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2014, 06:16
Re phrasing my question .

In the sentence

The Great Wall Space Agency’s recent attempts to launch a man into space

attempts : Is the verb , Who attempts ?
Great Wall Space Agency’s : Is the subject .

Then why does the underlined part begin with 'has' ?

The Great Wall Space Agency’s recent attempts to launch a man into space, a major goal of their space program for the past few years, has not substantially decreased the gaps existing between the technology-rich and technology-poor cities around the space center.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2014, 06:20
Quote:
The Great Wall Space Agency’s recent attempts to launch a man into space

attempts : Is the verb , Who attempts ?
Great Wall Space Agency’s : Is the subject .

Then why does the underlined part begin with 'has' ?

YOU are not parsing the construction correctly

in the construction: The Great Wall Space Agency’s recent attempts to launch a man into space, a major goal of their space program for the past few years, have not substantially decreased the gap that exists between the technology-rich and technology-poor cities around the space center.------------>the bold "attempts" is the NOUN and its VERB is "have not decreased"
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2014, 07:41
"Great Wall Space Agency’s recent" is just a modifier for "attempts". hence attempts is the subject of the sentence.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2014, 09:55
What is the source of this question?

The pronoun their (in the non-underlined portion a major goal of their space program for the past few years) does not have any valid antecedent.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Board of Directors
P
The Great Wall Space Agency’s recent attempts to launch a man into spa  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2014, 05:11
First of all you must follow the guidelines aka rules for posting in verbal section: the title of a new post CAN NOT be SC, simply. Thanks

Back to the question.

The source is from manhattanreview, so indeed a good resource.

The Great Wall Space Agency’s recent attempts...................................have not substantially decreased the gap that exists.........and bla bla bla. This is the gist of the question. Pretty much simple

As regard their in my opinion it is fine: the main goal is the launch of a man into space and as it turns out is the major goal of THEIR space programS, the programs of the agency. Maybe a typo.........the sentence is still fine.

Hope this helps

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2014, 05:47
carcass wrote:
As regard their in my opinion it is fine: the main goal is the launch of a man into space and as it turns out is the major goal of THEIR space programS, the programs of the agency. Maybe a typo.........the sentence is still fine.

Well, one might opine that their is in the non-underlined portion, and so, it's not a big deal even if it is incorrectly used in this sentence.

However, the bigger problem is that test takers then get accustomed to reading such sentences and so, it becomes difficult for them to identify this as anomaly, even when it is tested. This is especially significant, since GMAT does test you on these aspects.

Even if it's a typo, it should be highlighted so that GMAT aspirants are aware of this.

p.s. their has nothing to do with program/programs. In either case (whether it is program or programs), their is incorrect.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2014, 08:00
VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 03:11
shelrod007 wrote:

A, B, C are out for SV error - "attempts have not" is correct

E is out for "been". Also, "substantial" is an adjective wrongly modifying a prepositional phrase "in a decrease"

Hence (D)

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.34

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 07:32
I have the same concern even though I got the correct answer.
Pretty sure the attempts are major goals for The Great Wall Space Agency's programs or "its" program.
"Their" would imply the attempts are major goals for the attempts' space program; this simply does not make sense.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 03:46
shelrod007 wrote:

I am confused regarding the structure of this question .... i will break it down in the next post .

MANHATTAN REVIEW OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

The first thing you have to determine in this sentence is whether the verb ‘to have’ should be in the singular or plural form. To what does the verb ‘has’ refer? It refers to the attempts. You can shorten this sentence and isolate the core: the attempts (x) have done something (y). That means that only D and E can be possible answers. Choice E is too wordy. Choice D is the correct answer.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The Great Wall Space Agency’s recent attempts to launch a man into spa &nbs [#permalink] 04 Sep 2018, 03:46

The Great Wall Space Agency’s recent attempts to launch a man into spa

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap