GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 09:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

06:00 PM PST

07:00 PM PST

Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

The Greek mathematician Archimedes is most famous for discovering that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
The Greek mathematician Archimedes is most famous for discovering that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2014, 10:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:32) correct 42% (01:34) wrong based on 799 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Greek mathematician Archimedes is most famous for discovering that the quantities of water displaced by an immersed object have the same volume as the object itself.

A. discovering that the quantities of water displaced by an immersed object have
B. his discovery that by immersing objects in water, they displace quantities of
C. discovering that the quantities of water displaced by an immersed object has
D. discovering the quantities of water displaced by an immersed object of
E. his discovery of the fact that an object displaces water quantities, when immersed, of
Intern
Intern
D: M
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: The Greek mathematician Archimedes is most famous for discovering that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2014, 19:49
why is the Answer A and not E . The other options are self expalnatory.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: The Greek mathematician Archimedes is most famous for discovering that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2014, 16:57
dhanyamv88 wrote:
why is the Answer A and not E . The other options are self expalnatory.

use of when is incorrect..when is used to describe time
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Boston U '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2014, 06:18
The Greek mathematician Archimedes is most famous for discovering that the quantities of water displaced by an immersed object have the same volume as the object itself.

A. discovering that the quantities of water displaced by an immersed object have - Correct
B. his discovery that by immersing objects in water, they displace quantities of - plural 'objects' and 'they' in underlined portion do not match with singular 'object' in non-underlined portion.
C. discovering that the quantities of water displaced by an immersed object has - Has must be have
D. discovering the quantities of water displaced by an immersed object of - Change in meaning. Here, emphasize is given to that Quantities are observed instead of that quantities of water displaced.
E. his discovery of the fact that an object displaces water quantities, when immersed, of - wordy and not crisp in meaning.

Kudos please..... :o

Hard-work, Perseverance and Commitment.....

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2014, 04:30
goodyear2013 wrote:

A. discovering that the quantities of water displaced by an immersed object have
B. his discovery that by immersing objects in water, they displace quantities of
E. his discovery of the fact that an object displaces water quantities, when immersed, of

A. discovering that the quantities of water displaced by an immersed object have : the best
B. his discovery that by immersing objects in water, they displace quantities of :Change meaniny
C. discovering that the quantities of water displaced by an immersed object has : Quantities _Has : Wrong
D. discovering the quantities of water displaced by an immersed object of : discover must go with that
E. his discovery of the fact that an object displaces water quantities, when immersed, of : wordy, change meaning

Happiness always comes to who always try the best ! Never give up never give in

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2016, 23:23
A. "Quantities of water ...have the same volume.." Sounds extremely awkward!

I went with E in spite of the fact it was wordy.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 08:07
I picked A, but I think each answer is wrong.

quantities don't have volume rather water has volume.
pronoun "they" has no antecedent.
quantities ... has violates S/V agreement.
discovering the quantities of water + modifier. seems quantities of water were discovered.
here "water" acts as an adjective so it can not be the direct object of verb "replaces". therefore the valid direct object of the verb "replaces" is "quantities" ... it's not logical.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2017, 04:24
raghaw wrote:

discovering the quantities of water + modifier. seems quantities of water were discovered.
here "water" acts as an adjective so it can not be the direct object of verb "replaces". therefore the valid direct object of the verb "replaces" is "quantities" ... it's not logical.

Hello raghaw,

is objects is not an antecedent of they ??

Hit kudos if you like my post

Today's preparation determines tomorrow's achievement.

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2017, 20:58
Hi experts,
Is "quantities of water" similar to "2 litre of water"?
I mean the latter is singular,then why should we treat the first as plural?

AmI misunderstanding thing?
Thanks
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2017, 10:29
sleepynut wrote:
Hi experts,

Thanks

"Quantities of water" is wrong. This seems to be an oversight by the author.

First: water is neither singular nor plural. It is uncountable.
Second: In constructions such as quantity of X, amount of X, number of X,[ etc/i] the words [i]quantity, amount, number etc. are never plural (irrespective of X).

Quantity of water.... correct
Number of pens..... correct
Amount of milk ......correct
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2017, 06:33
nitiny wrote:
raghaw wrote:

Hello raghaw,

is objects is not an antecedent of they ??

True, "Objects" can be antecedent of "they". But prepositional phrase is also a modifier, so it must be followed by someone who immersed objects in water.
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 00:03
sayantanc2k wrote:
sleepynut wrote:
Hi experts,

Thanks

Second: In constructions such as quantity of X, amount of X, number of X,[ etc/i] the words [i]quantity, amount, number etc. are never plural (irrespective of X).

Hi brother,

Considering the fact that "Quantities of water" is wrong, don't you think this question is wrong?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
The Greek mathematician Archimedes is most famous for discovering that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2018, 05:16
sayantanc2k wrote:
sleepynut wrote:
Hi experts,

Thanks

NY Times:

Sometimes that process isn’t as straightforward as it should be: People with a syndrome called polydipsia feel excessive thirst and drink enormous quantities of water
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/scie ... drink.html

It takes huge quantities of water to produce electricity from a plant powered by nuclear energy or fossil fuels, and it also takes lots of energy to pump and process the water that irrigates fields and supplies cities.
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/busi ... een19.html

According to NYT, it seems to be acceptable in the context of measures "liters, tons, oz." to use quantities. Although I have seen in NYT a lot of controversial stuff such as "family, who live in Washington, have social benefits"
GMAT Club Bot
The Greek mathematician Archimedes is most famous for discovering that &nbs [#permalink] 05 Jul 2018, 05:16

The Greek mathematician Archimedes is most famous for discovering that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap