Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [2]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 604
Schools: ISB '21
Send PM
Re: The herbicide Oryzalin was still being produced in 1979, three years [#permalink]
"none of the pregnancies was normal" in the correct answer , I don't think its IC but it is separated by semicolon .
Can someone enlighten me daagh
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: The herbicide Oryzalin was still being produced in 1979, three years [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Dine
None (of the pregnancies) = subject of the pregnancies is a prepositional middleman just describing the noun.
was = verb
normal = adjective
This is a perfect IC. What is the doubt?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
GMATNinja daagh generis I see the corrected answer sentence as a run-on sentence. May I know what am I missing here? Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Can any expert explain the tense used in this question ?
Why "have had" is correct ? To me, the sentence sounds like the women have those misfortune in the past and still have it until now, and that way of understanding seems ridiculous.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
generis wrote:
soapbolt wrote:
generis
The herbicide Oryzalin was still being produced in 1979 - Independent Clause
three years after the wives of workers producing the chemical in Rensselaer, New York, were found - Independent Clause

Both the IC are joined by just a Comma. I am finding it hard to digest. As we know two IC should be joined by Comma + FANBOYS.

Can you please help me with the understanding. What i am missing here?

soapbolt , this construction is hard.
The time sequence is clear but not linear.

Time sequence:
1976 -> a study finds that women and children suffer because they were exposed to Oryzalin, which is toxic.
1979, three years later -> Oryzalin is still being produced.

The correct answer, D, results in this sentence:

The herbicide Oryzalin was still being produced in 1979, three years after the wives of workers producing the chemical in Rensselaer, New York, were found either to have had miscarriages or to have borne children with heart defects; none of the pregnancies was normal.

Let's take the second part on the left hand side of the semicolon. I am going to insert a comma that is not in the original and remove a comma that was:
[T]hree years after, the wives of workers producing the chemical in Rensselaer New York were found either to have had miscarriages or to have borne children with heart defects. :(

Simplify it. This prepositional phrase can be omitted: of workers producing the chemical in Rensselaer, New York,
Thus:
Three years after, the wives were found to have [had X or borne Y]. :(

That second part, then, only appears to be a complete sentence. It is not.
After often is a preposition. After can also be a subordinating conjunction. Before and since can behave this way, too.

In this case after creates a subordinate clause, although it is hard to spot "after" as a subordinate conjunction because "three years" precedes "after" and the em dash complicates what gets capitalized.

Maybe this annotation will help clear the matter:

[T]hree years after [three years after what? what event? what time period?] the wives of workers producing the chemical . . . were found either to have had miscarriages or to have borne children with heart defects.

Your radar is keen. This construction is difficult.
If you still have questions, please ask. I am happy to try to assist.

I hope that analysis helps. :)

Hi AndrewN

Do you have a better explanation, as to why the non underlined portion does not lead to 2 IC clause?
three years after the wives of workers producing the chemical in Rensselaer, New York, were found - Independent Clause
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
The herbicide Oryzalin was still being produced in 1979, three years [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
shanks2020 wrote:
generis wrote:
soapbolt wrote:
generis

Both the IC are joined by just a Comma. I am finding it hard to digest. As we know two IC should be joined by Comma + FANBOYS.

Can you please help me with the understanding. What i am missing here?

soapbolt , this construction is hard.
The time sequence is clear but not linear.

Time sequence:
1976 -> a study finds that women and children suffer because they were exposed to Oryzalin, which is toxic.
1979, three years later -> Oryzalin is still being produced.

The correct answer, D, results in this sentence:

The herbicide Oryzalin was still being produced in 1979, three years after the wives of workers producing the chemical in Rensselaer, New York, were found either to have had miscarriages or to have borne children with heart defects; none of the pregnancies was normal.

Let's take the second part on the left hand side of the semicolon. I am going to insert a comma that is not in the original and remove a comma that was:
[T]hree years after, the wives of workers producing the chemical in Rensselaer New York were found either to have had miscarriages or to have borne children with heart defects. :(

Simplify it. This prepositional phrase can be omitted: of workers producing the chemical in Rensselaer, New York,
Thus:
Three years after, the wives were found to have [had X or borne Y]. :(

That second part, then, only appears to be a complete sentence. It is not.
After often is a preposition. After can also be a subordinating conjunction. Before and since can behave this way, too.

In this case after creates a subordinate clause, although it is hard to spot "after" as a subordinate conjunction because "three years" precedes "after" and the em dash complicates what gets capitalized.

Maybe this annotation will help clear the matter:

[T]hree years after [three years after what? what event? what time period?] the wives of workers producing the chemical . . . were found either to have had miscarriages or to have borne children with heart defects.

Your radar is keen. This construction is difficult.
If you still have questions, please ask. I am happy to try to assist.

I hope that analysis helps. :)

Hi AndrewN

Do you have a better explanation, as to why the non underlined portion does not lead to 2 IC clause?

Hello, shanks2020. I am not sure about better. When I read explanations by generis, I am often astounded by the depth of knowledge on display, and the one above proves no different. Simpler, though? Now that I can do (because that is how I think—in less technical terms—and also how I enjoy approaching SC topics). If you strip down the correct sentence to its barebones, you get a clear subordinate clause in the latter part in question. First, the full sentence:

(D) The herbicide Oryzalin was still being produced in 1979, three years after the wives of workers producing the chemical in Rensselaer, New York, were found either to have had miscarriages or to have borne children with heart defects; none of the pregnancies was normal.

Now, with the second part stripped down, without everything that follows the semicolon:

(D) The herbicide Oryzalin was still being produced in 1979, three years after [people] were found either to [X] or to [Y].

Ask yourself, can this "sentence" stand alone? Three years after [people] were found either to [X] or to [Y]? No, of course not: the after subordinates the clause that follows.

That is my shorthand version of why (D) does not present two independent clauses prior to the semicolon. (All bets are off after that.) I appreciate the shoutout, and I hope that my explanation satisfies your curiosity.

- Andrew
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
The herbicide Oryzalin was still being produced in 1979, three years after the wives of workers producing the chemical in Rensselaer, New York, were found to have borne children with heart defects or miscarriages, and none of their pregnancies was normal.

(A) to have borne children with heart defects or miscarriages, and none of their pregnancies was-> I see a major error in parallelism, Children with miscarriages. It is not correct.
(B) to have had children born with heart defects or miscarriages, and none of the pregnancies was-> Same as A.
(C) either to have had children with heart defects or miscarriages, without any of their pregnancies being-> Same as A.
(D) either to have had miscarriages or to have borne children with heart defects; none of the pregnancies was- Parallelism is corrected and semicolon used to complete the sentence. So, "none of pregnancies was normal" is also complete sentence. Let's keep D.
(E) either to have had miscarriages or children born with heart defects, without any of their pregnancies being- without and meaning sentence is distorted. There are different sentences, which is not separated.

I think D. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 405
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
(A) were found to have borne children with heart defects or miscarriages, and none of their pregnancies was
- "children with miscarriages" distorts meaning.
- "their" is ambiguous as it can refer back to "children" or "women"

(B) were found to have had children born with heart defects or miscarriages, and none of the pregnancies was
- "children born with miscarriages" distorts meaning.

(C) were found either to have had children with heart defects or miscarriages, without any of their pregnancies being
- Unparallel error as two things compared in "either X or Y" aren't logically similar.
- Unnecessary use of "being".

(D) were found either to have had miscarriages or to have borne children with heart defects; none of the pregnancies was
- Parallel and better choice than others.
- Use of ";" that creates an independent clause does not affect the meaning.

(E) were found either to have had miscarriages or children born with heart defects, without any of their pregnancies being
- Unparallel error as two things compared in "either X or Y" aren't logically similar.
- Unnecessary use of "being".
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
The herbicide Oryzalin was still being produced in 1979, three years [#permalink]
Good question.

generis I wonder...

If we ignore the issue with miscarriages in a), is there a problem with 'and none of their pregnancies'?
1. Does 'and' make sense here?
2. Does the 'their' make sense? It sounds to me like 'their' could convey the non-sensical meaning that the pregancies belong to all of the women, when really pregnancies belong to each respective woman.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
none of the pregnancies was - Is it correct ??
Is not it : none of the pregnancies were ????
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
aragonn wrote:
The herbicide Oryzalin was still being produced in 1979, three years after the wives of workers producing the chemical in Rensselaer, New York, were found to have borne children with heart defects or miscarriages, and none of their pregnancies was normal.

(A) to have borne children with heart defects or miscarriages, and none of their pregnancies was
(B) to have had children born with heart defects or miscarriages, and none of the pregnancies was
(C) either to have had children with heart defects or miscarriages, without any of their pregnancies being
(D) either to have had miscarriages or to have borne children with heart defects; none of the pregnancies was
(E) either to have had miscarriages or children born with heart defects, without any of their pregnancies being

This question is based on Pronoun Usage and Construction.

The placement of the phrase “with heart defects or miscarriages” causes a meaning and pronoun reference error in Option A. For one thing, it is not the children who had miscarriages. For another, the placement of the pronoun ‘their’ after the phrase “children with heart defects or miscarriages” conveys the meaning that it was the children who were pregnant. So, Option A can be eliminated.

Option B is not much better, though there are a few changes in this option. However, this option also conveys the meaning that children were born with miscarriages, a phrase that is illogical. So, Option B can also be eliminated.

Option C repeats the error of meaning in Options A and B. In this option again, the pronoun ‘their’ is ambiguous. So, Option C can also be eliminated.

In Option E, the pronoun ‘their’ is ambiguous, as it is not clear whose pregnancies are referred to. So, Option E can also be eliminated.

Option D is slightly longer than the other options, but the meaning is clear. This option also avoids the pronoun error. Therefore, D is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Seems like GMAC is punishing non-native speakers for lack of vocab. If one doesn't know what miscarriage means it would be impossible to answer this question, as the key here is to notice that children cannot have miscarriages.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Jezza wrote:
Seems like GMAC is punishing non-native speakers for lack of vocab. If one doesn't know what miscarriage means it would be impossible to answer this question, as the key here is to notice that children cannot have miscarriages.
That's a pretty harsh assessment. I'm not a native speaker myself but I know the word miscarriage because that's a pretty common English word. I'd have agreed to you if you saw words such as "parlous", "magnanimous", "astute", "conniving" etc that are not commonly used in day to day English.
Also, let's face the fact: Verbal is a test of English comprehension and reasoning. You can not hope to do good in it if you have not developed basic understanding of the language itself and vocabulary plays a pivotal role in that.
If you had put forward the same proposition for GRE, I'd have agreed with you. But, GMAT is pretty lax with respect to vocabulary. So, if you feel that it's still too much, I'd suggest you start reading news articles and editorials to get accustomed to the language "English".

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
PyjamaScientist wrote:
Jezza wrote:
That's a pretty harsh assessment. I'm not a native speaker myself but I know the word miscarriage because that's a pretty common English word. I'd have agreed to you if you saw words such as "parlous", "magnanimous", "astute", "conniving" etc that are not commonly used in day to day English.
Also, let's face the fact: Verbal is a test of English comprehension and reasoning. You can not hope to do good in it if you have not developed basic understanding of the language itself and vocabulary plays a pivotal role in that.
If you had put forward the same proposition for GRE, I'd have agreed with you. But, GMAT is pretty lax with respect to vocabulary. So, if you feel that it's still too much, I'd suggest you start reading news articles and editorials to get accustomed to the language "English".

Posted from my mobile device

While miscarriage is not something new to me, I'd have to agree with you that part of the focus of GMAT is to test your English skills from all aspects. last time I saw a question related to the construction of toll gate, my colleague could not do it because he simply didn't know what "toll gate" is. year it's kinda bloody true that if one doesn't know what toll gate is, he would barely survive in a business school in which English is the medium of instruction. But if you really ask yourself as a non-native speaker, if you have only been learning a language for 3 years, do you expect youself to know such words as "Apocalypse", "Crusader", "Luminosity" and "erratic" etc.? All of them have appeared in official questions.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
I was confused between option D and E. Although, I was inclined towards option D, i rejected the option because of 'was'. .."none of the pregnancies was".. in this - I verb is 'was' and subject is 'pregnancies'. which is plural. Isn't there an SV agreement issue?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts