GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 09:12

LIVE NOW:

Tips for Your Best Possible Application - Live Chat with Tuck Admissions | Click Here to JOIN!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The higher productivity rate of some Japanese companies relative to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
The higher productivity rate of some Japanese companies relative to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 May 2018, 21:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

26% (01:33) correct 74% (01:34) wrong based on 978 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The higher productivity rate of some Japanese companies relative to comparable US companies is due not to their faster production lines, which are in fact slower in the Japanese companies, but to a greater amount of engineers and equipment per production worker.

(A) their faster production lines, which are in fact slower in the Japanese companies, but to a greater amount of engineers and

(B) their faster production lines, since they are in fact slower in the Japanese companies, but to a greater amount of engineers and

(C) faster production lines, which are in fact slower in the Japanese companies, but to a greater amount of engineers and more

(D) the greater speed of their production lines, since they are in fact slower in the Japanese companies, but to a greater amount of engineers and

(E) ) the greater speed of their production lines, since production lines are in fact slower in the Japanese companies, but to a greater amount of engineers and more

What's wrong with c?

1. are " faster production lines" and " the greater speed of their productin lines" different in terms of meaning?

2. I think that "since production lines~"in e makes more sense than "which are in fact~" in c, but I am not sure
about "their" in e. In fact, this is the reason that I ruled out e.
Isn't it possible that "their" refers to either Japanese companies or American companies?
Am I thinking too much?? :?

Originally posted by eybrj2 on 21 Mar 2012, 15:18.
Last edited by Bunuel on 23 May 2018, 21:32, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge
Re: The higher productivity rate of some Japanese companies relative to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2012, 16:20
"a greater amount of engineers and more equipment" is not redundant on E?
5 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
CAT Tests
Re: The higher productivity rate of some Japanese companies relative to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2012, 02:32
GUYS i think this question for other league NOT gmat.

we definitely cant use "amount" for "engineers"..!!
ignore this question and move on..!!

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2012, 04:45
eybrj2 wrote:
Q) The higher productivity rate of some Japanese companies relative to comparable US companies is due not to their faster production lines, which are in fact slower in the Japanese companies, but to a greater amount of engineers and equipment per production worker.

(A) their faster production lines, which are in fact slower in the Japanese companies, but to a greater amount of engineers and
(B) their faster production lines, since they are in fact slower in the Japanese companies, but to a greater amount of engineers and
(C) faster production lines, which are in fact slower in the Japanese companies, but to a greater amount of engineers and more
(D) the greater speed of their production lines, since they are in fact slower in the Japanese companies, but to a greater amount of engineers and
(E) ) the greater speed of their production lines, since production lines are in fact slower in the Japanese companies, but to a greater amount of engineers and more

What's wrong with c?

1. are " faster production lines" and " the greater speed of their productin lines" different in terms of meaning?

2. I think that "since production lines~"in e makes more sense than "which are in fact~" in c, but I am not sure
Isn't it possible that "their" refers to either Japanese companies or American companies?

1)Since here means because ---High productivity of Japanese Companies is not due to production lines,because(since)production lines are in fact slower
2)their refers to Japanese Companies as we are giving explanation why not high productivity in Japanese Companies is because of production lines but because of employees.

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2016, 12:16
Do you think "amount of engineers" is correct? Engineers are countable so we need to use "a number of". Right?

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V32
GRE 1: 310 Q159 V151
GRE 2: 312 Q159 V153
GPA: 2.9

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2016, 08:20
A really tough question.

Was able to rule out options A, B & D because greater amount of engineers is mentioned but in the latter half the term 'more' is missing. I felt there should be a comparison point.

Option C does look concise, but 'faster production lines' sounds awkward. The usage of greater speed seems more apt. That's why I picked E.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2016, 05:34
eybrj2 wrote:
Q) The higher productivity rate of some Japanese companies relative to comparable US companies is due not to their faster production lines, which are in fact slower in the Japanese companies, but to a greater amount of engineers and equipment per production worker.

What's wrong with c?

Why don't we have a -1Kudos here? This question deserves that as it is both absurd and absolutely annoying.

Cheers
PeeKay

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2016, 08:58
Experts, can you please verify the veracity of this question? The source seems to be GMAT Paper Test, however the word 'amount' has been used to describe engineers. Thanks for your inputs.
Current Student
B
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2016, 01:26
Request experts to please help us in eliminating Option C. Is this really a GMAT question ?
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2016, 03:53
Mbawarrior01 wrote:
Request experts to please help us in eliminating Option C. Is this really a GMAT question ?

In Option C, at first the Japaneses production lines are referred as faster and then refererd as slower. The reason for higher productivity are not the production lines (faster ones) - there is no question raised about that the lines are faster. However immediately after that declaration, exactly the oppposite is stated - that the lines are slower.

Option E states that greater speed is not the reason - in fact the production lines are slower.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2016, 19:22
eybrj2 wrote:

What's wrong with c?

I choose E because the sentence provides clear meaning "production lines are in fact slower"
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2016, 08:23
ak2801 wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:

What's wrong with c?

I choose E because the sentence provides clear meaning "production lines are in fact slower"

In C as well, the pronoun "which" clearly refers to "production lines". So one cannot prefer E over C because of this point.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 12:47
eybrj2 wrote:

What's wrong with c?

I agree with kraizada84: we cannot use amount for engineers. As he claims, this is not a GMAT question.
I also agree with lamanxa: if we use a greater amount of integers, the "more" in "more equipment" is either redundant or unnecessary.

However, if we overlook these problems, the sentence becomes interesting. The focus is on the use of the pronouns "which" and "they". These pronouns do not refer to" production lines", but to "faster production lines". The production lines cannot be faster and slower at the same time.

In choices A and C, "which" refers to faster production lines, so we cannot say that faster production lines are slower.
Choices B and D, we have the same problem, the pronoun "they" refers to faster production lines; production lines cannot be slower at the same time.
Choice E avoids this problem by repeating "production lines" instead of using a pronoun.

Clipper Ledgard
GMAT Coach

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 06:52
ATTENTION!

The question E is wrong. I faced that question 2 minutes ago. haha.

It is (E) --> the greater speed of their production lines, since production lines are in fact slower in the Japanese comanies, but to a greater number of engineers and more

(C) is wrong, for faster lines cannot be faster and slower at the same time.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2018, 17:46
eybrj2 wrote:

What's wrong with c?

I dont know whether Im right guys, but if I AM right, then how come everyone missed the below?:

to a greater amount of engineers and equipment per production worker.

Just "equipment" alone per production worker is kinda dangling strangely, so definitely "greater amount of engineers AND equipment" comes into play.

But "greater amount of engineers" per production worker? How does that make sense in real life scenario?

So it has to be "greater amount of engineers" AND "more equipment per production worker" as they both solidly contribute to reasons of high productivity rate.

For THIS reason ALONE, I went with option E.

Does this make sense at all?
Cheers guys!
Re: The higher productivity rate of some Japanese companies relative to   [#permalink] 23 May 2018, 17:46

The higher productivity rate of some Japanese companies relative to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap