GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 May 2019, 16:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Posts: 225
The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Jan 2018, 00:08
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

82% (00:49) correct 18% (00:52) wrong based on 270 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in North America at a striking 20 inches tall, has moved in and out of the extinct category, with scientists consistently unable to find solid proof for the bird to still exist.

(A) for the bird to still exist

(B) for the bird as still existing

(C) for the bird's continued existence

(D) that the bird still exists

(E) of the bird and its continued existence

Originally posted by Jp27 on 09 Nov 2012, 11:15.
Last edited by hazelnut on 03 Jan 2018, 00:08, edited 2 times in total.
formatted the Q
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 505
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Re: The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2012, 15:25
The ivory-billed woodpecker... has moved in and out of the extinct category, with scientists consistently
unable to find solid proof THAT the bird (the ivory-billed woodpecker) still exists.

IMO it is.
_________________
KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Posts: 225
Re: The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2012, 20:48
gmatbull wrote:
The ivory-billed woodpecker... has moved in and out of the extinct category, with scientists consistently
unable to find solid proof THAT the bird (the ivory-billed woodpecker) still exists.

IMO it is.


Hi - Have u seen from any GMAT source that proof for is wrong idiom - just to confirm
And only proof of and proof that is correct idiom?

cheers
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 1158
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2012, 00:09
1
A is nonsensical. It seems to convey the meaning that scientists are unable to find solid proof, proof which would enable the bird to exist. Similar to saying something like the social activists were unable to find a reason for the depressed person to live.

D conveys the right meaning. Proof is correctly modified using an essential modifier with a "that" clause. Answer should be D.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.
_________________
Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Posts: 22
GPA: 3.65
Re: The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2012, 03:11
Jp27 wrote:
gmatbull wrote:
The ivory-billed woodpecker... has moved in and out of the extinct category, with scientists consistently
unable to find solid proof THAT the bird (the ivory-billed woodpecker) still exists.

IMO it is.


Hi - Have u seen from any GMAT source that proof for is wrong idiom - just to confirm
And only proof of and proof that is correct idiom?

cheers

when would we get to know where prove of applies or prove that??
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Posts: 225
Re: The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2012, 04:34
Maryam787 wrote:
Jp27 wrote:
gmatbull wrote:
The ivory-billed woodpecker... has moved in and out of the extinct category, with scientists consistently
unable to find solid proof THAT the bird (the ivory-billed woodpecker) still exists.

IMO it is.


Hi - Have u seen from any GMAT source that proof for is wrong idiom - just to confirm
And only proof of and proof that is correct idiom?

cheers

when would we get to know where prove of applies or prove that??


Hey Proof OF is used with NOUN ( or noun equivalent such as a noun phrase) because "of" in "proof of" is a preposition so it must be followed by noun!
Proof that + clause -> that here is used here as clause introducer, similar to suggest that report that etc (that can be used as a pro-noun as well but that completely different usage)

So in this Q both D and E grammatically correct but there is a meaning issue in E hence we have to go with D
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2011
Posts: 49
Re: The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2012, 05:43
Usage of nouns such as "evidence/proof/report " are often modified by That-clause that contain full sentences.
So -D(that clause) is preferred over other prepositional phrases .
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2015
Posts: 11
Schools: Kellogg '18
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 18:26
Quote:
Hi - Have u seen from any GMAT source that proof for is wrong idiom - just to confirm
And only proof of and proof that is correct idiom?


Quote:
Hey Proof OF is used with NOUN ( or noun equivalent such as a noun phrase) because "of" in "proof of" is a preposition so it must be followed by noun!
Proof that + clause -> that here is used here as clause introducer, similar to suggest that report that etc (that can be used as a pro-noun as well but that completely different usage)

So in this Q both D and E grammatically correct but there is a meaning issue in E hence we have to go with D


Proof for... makes no sense.. it is non idiomatic.. right?
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 719
Re: The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 08:15
1
Jp27 wrote:
The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in North America at a striking 20 inches tall, has moved in and out of the extinct category, with scientists consistently unable to find solid proof for the bird to still exist.

(A) for the bird to still exist

(B) for the bird as still existing

(C) for the bird's continued existence

(D) that the bird still exists

(E) of the bird and its continued existence


there are many patterns in which noun modifier can modify its noun
noun+for somebody to do
noun+for
noun+that clause

depending on meaning of the noun and meaning relation between the noun and its modifier, we use the specific pattern

the proof for you to study is good
the proof for this hard case
the proof that the bird still exists.

according to meaning relation between "proof" and "bird exist", only choice D fit here.
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 719
Re: The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2019, 01:13
I think
"proof of bird's existence " is idiomatic . "proof for bird existence " is wrong logically. but "proof for this legal case " is idiomatic.

to say about a proof is relevant to an action we have
proof+ of +action noun or
proof+that-clause
to say about the purpose of proof , we use
proof for+noun (this is most common for any noun)
to say about what kind of proof, to describe the proof. we use
proof (for anyone) to study . in this case, "to study" is an appositive of proof.

so, depending on meaning, we can use proof
+of +noun
+for+noun
+ to do
+ that clause.

each of them can be idiomatic
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2019, 01:13
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The ivory-billed woodpecker, once the largest woodpecker in

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.