GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 03:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     06:00 PM EST

     07:00 PM EST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

The latest report by the Global Initiative for Poverty Reduction (GIPR

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 287
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
The latest report by the Global Initiative for Poverty Reduction (GIPR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2016, 02:53
1
12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (01:17) correct 45% (01:19) wrong based on 630 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The latest report by the Global Initiative for Poverty Reduction (GIPR) has shown that around the world, average incomes for people living below the poverty line has increased 6% during the last five years. However, average incomes for people living at or above the poverty line has increased 13.4% during this time. Thus, in real world terms, there has been no real improvement in the standard of living for the very poor.

Which of the following, if true, would strengthen the argument above?

A. GIPR considers the receipt of charitable donations to be a form of income.

B. During the last five years, the cost of medicine for people living below the poverty line has increased 6%.

C. The number of people who are below the poverty line has increased by 7.2% over the last five years.

D. The cost of food in areas where there is great poverty has not changed much during the last five years.

E. Six years ago, GIPR instituted a program to provide clean drinking water to people living in poverty.

_________________

KUDO me plenty

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7037
Re: The latest report by the Global Initiative for Poverty Reduction (GIPR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2016, 03:12
1
shasadou wrote:
The latest report by the Global Initiative for Poverty Reduction (GIPR) has shown that around the world, average incomes for people living below the poverty line has increased 6% during the last five years. However, average incomes for people living at or above the poverty line has increased 13.4% during this time. Thus, in real world terms, there has been no real improvement in the standard of living for the very poor.

Which of the following, if true, would strengthen the argument above?

A. GIPR considers the receipt of charitable donations to be a form of income.

B. During the last five years, the cost of medicine for people living below the poverty line has increased 6%.

C. The number of people who are below the poverty line has increased by 7.2% over the last five years.

D. The cost of food in areas where there is great poverty has not changed much during the last five years.

E. Six years ago, GIPR instituted a program to provide clean drinking water to people living in poverty.


Hi,
lets see what the paragraph tells us..
the average income of those below poverty line has increased by 6% and others by 13.4%. Yet the standard of living has not improved.

what we have to do?
STRENGTHEN it..

What should come in the mind straightway....
If increase in income has not led to improvement in standard of living, then the only reason is this 6% has not offset the increase in prices in these 5 years..

lets see the choices..

A. GIPR considers the receipt of charitable donations to be a form of income.
out of context

B. During the last five years, the cost of medicine for people living below the poverty line has increased 6%.
CORRECT but only because no other choice is better.
here it tells us that the prices of medicine have gone up by 6%, thus eating into the increase in income...
Only PROBLEM is we are just talking of one aspect of measuring standard of living,. it may be possible that everything else has become cheaper..
we go by what is avail


C. The number of people who are below the poverty line has increased by 7.2% over the last five years.
I could have gone for it, had it said this 7.2% have just fallen to th etop of the category from Above poverty line. this would result in increase in average income of all because of this particular lot..
BUT does not affect the argument in its present state


D. The cost of food in areas where there is great poverty has not changed much during the last five years.
this would rather weaken it

E. Six years ago, GIPR instituted a program to provide clean drinking water to people living in poverty.
out of context
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7037
Re: The latest report by the Global Initiative for Poverty Reduction (GIPR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2016, 03:21
1
chetan2u wrote:
shasadou wrote:
The latest report by the Global Initiative for Poverty Reduction (GIPR) has shown that around the world, average incomes for people living below the poverty line has increased 6% during the last five years. However, average incomes for people living at or above the poverty line has increased 13.4% during this time. Thus, in real world terms, there has been no real improvement in the standard of living for the very poor.

Which of the following, if true, would strengthen the argument above?

A. GIPR considers the receipt of charitable donations to be a form of income.

B. During the last five years, the cost of medicine for people living below the poverty line has increased 6%.

C. The number of people who are below the poverty line has increased by 7.2% over the last five years.

D. The cost of food in areas where there is great poverty has not changed much during the last five years.

E. Six years ago, GIPR instituted a program to provide clean drinking water to people living in poverty.


Hi,
lets see what the paragraph tells us..
the average income of those below poverty line has increased by 6% and others by 13.4%. Yet the standard of living has not improved.

what we have to do?
STRENGTHEN it..

What should come in the mind straightway....
If increase in income has not led to improvement in standard of living, then the only reason is this 6% has not offset the increase in prices in these 5 years..

lets see the choices..

A. GIPR considers the receipt of charitable donations to be a form of income.
out of context

B. During the last five years, the cost of medicine for people living below the poverty line has increased 6%.
CORRECT but only because no other choice is better.
here it tells us that the prices of medicine have gone up by 6%, thus eating into the increase in income...
Only PROBLEM is we are just talking of one aspect of measuring standard of living,. it may be possible that everything else has become cheaper..
we go by what is avail


C. The number of people who are below the poverty line has increased by 7.2% over the last five years.
I could have gone for it, had it said this 7.2% have just fallen to th etop of the category from Above poverty line. this would result in increase in average income of all because of this particular lot..
BUT does not affect the argument in its present state


D. The cost of food in areas where there is great poverty has not changed much during the last five years.
this would rather weaken it

E. Six years ago, GIPR instituted a program to provide clean drinking water to people living in poverty.
out of context


Hi,
VeritasPrepKarishma and @VeritasPrep, the choice C has to be picked up only because of compulsion.
In reality, it cannot be said to strengthening it.
Although there have been few earlier instances where there has been no response from you and other institutes when going wrong, I would still ask you to justify or change the wordings. You all are supposedly good institutes but Every one can make mistakes. lets not give/teach wrong reasoning to students using this platform..

Regards,
Chetan
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 287
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Re: The latest report by the Global Initiative for Poverty Reduction (GIPR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2016, 04:28
1
chetan2u wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
shasadou wrote:
The latest report by the Global Initiative for Poverty Reduction (GIPR) has shown that around the world, average incomes for people living below the poverty line has increased 6% during the last five years. However, average incomes for people living at or above the poverty line has increased 13.4% during this time. Thus, in real world terms, there has been no real improvement in the standard of living for the very poor.

Which of the following, if true, would strengthen the argument above?

A. GIPR considers the receipt of charitable donations to be a form of income.

B. During the last five years, the cost of medicine for people living below the poverty line has increased 6%.

C. The number of people who are below the poverty line has increased by 7.2% over the last five years.

D. The cost of food in areas where there is great poverty has not changed much during the last five years.

E. Six years ago, GIPR instituted a program to provide clean drinking water to people living in poverty.


Hi,
lets see what the paragraph tells us..
the average income of those below poverty line has increased by 6% and others by 13.4%. Yet the standard of living has not improved.

what we have to do?
STRENGTHEN it..

What should come in the mind straightway....
If increase in income has not led to improvement in standard of living, then the only reason is this 6% has not offset the increase in prices in these 5 years..

lets see the choices..

A. GIPR considers the receipt of charitable donations to be a form of income.
out of context

B. During the last five years, the cost of medicine for people living below the poverty line has increased 6%.
CORRECT but only because no other choice is better.
here it tells us that the prices of medicine have gone up by 6%, thus eating into the increase in income...
Only PROBLEM is we are just talking of one aspect of measuring standard of living,. it may be possible that everything else has become cheaper..
we go by what is avail


C. The number of people who are below the poverty line has increased by 7.2% over the last five years.
I could have gone for it, had it said this 7.2% have just fallen to th etop of the category from Above poverty line. this would result in increase in average income of all because of this particular lot..
BUT does not affect the argument in its present state


D. The cost of food in areas where there is great poverty has not changed much during the last five years.
this would rather weaken it

E. Six years ago, GIPR instituted a program to provide clean drinking water to people living in poverty.
out of context


Hi,
VeritasPrepKarishma and @VeritasPrep, the choice C has to be picked up only because of compulsion.
In reality, it cannot be said to strengthening it.
Although there have been few earlier instances where there has been no response from you and other institutes when going wrong, I would still ask you to justify or change the wordings. You all are supposedly good institutes but Every one can make mistakes. lets not give/teach wrong reasoning to students using this platform..

Regards,
Chetan


u mean answer B? yeah you have to pick this one because others just are not relevant.

still i think this is not a gmat-like question. because B introduces a new term - medicine. but there can be other components of standard of living as well: say food, lesiure, education - whatever! if a person below a poverty line - it does not mean he does not buy other components. another example is also true - a person below poverty line does not have at all to buy medicine - so this would not affect him should this rise 1000% or fall -100%.

in a gmat like question B would be most likely an out of scope question whereas the correct one would play with the poverty line overall - i.e. whatver the increase or reshuffle, the poor remain poor
_________________

KUDO me plenty

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2015
Posts: 66
The latest report by the Global Initiative for Poverty Reduction (GIPR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2016, 05:48
shasadou wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

Hi,
lets see what the paragraph tells us..
the average income of those below poverty line has increased by 6% and others by 13.4%. Yet the standard of living has not improved.

what we have to do?
STRENGTHEN it..

What should come in the mind straightway....
If increase in income has not led to improvement in standard of living, then the only reason is this 6% has not offset the increase in prices in these 5 years..

lets see the choices..

A. GIPR considers the receipt of charitable donations to be a form of income.
out of context

B. During the last five years, the cost of medicine for people living below the poverty line has increased 6%.
CORRECT but only because no other choice is better.
here it tells us that the prices of medicine have gone up by 6%, thus eating into the increase in income...
Only PROBLEM is we are just talking of one aspect of measuring standard of living,. it may be possible that everything else has become cheaper..
we go by what is avail


C. The number of people who are below the poverty line has increased by 7.2% over the last five years.
I could have gone for it, had it said this 7.2% have just fallen to th etop of the category from Above poverty line. this would result in increase in average income of all because of this particular lot..
BUT does not affect the argument in its present state


D. The cost of food in areas where there is great poverty has not changed much during the last five years.
this would rather weaken it

E. Six years ago, GIPR instituted a program to provide clean drinking water to people living in poverty.
out of context


Hi,
VeritasPrepKarishma and @VeritasPrep, the choice C has to be picked up only because of compulsion.
In reality, it cannot be said to strengthening it.
Although there have been few earlier instances where there has been no response from you and other institutes when going wrong, I would still ask you to justify or change the wordings. You all are supposedly good institutes but Every one can make mistakes. lets not give/teach wrong reasoning to students using this platform..

Regards,
Chetan


u mean answer B? yeah you have to pick this one because others just are not relevant.

still i think this is not a gmat-like question. because B introduces a new term - medicine. but there can be other components of standard of living as well: say food, lesiure, education - whatever! if a person below a poverty line - it does not mean he does not buy other components. another example is also true - a person below poverty line does not have at all to buy medicine - so this would not affect him should this rise 1000% or fall -100%.

in a gmat like question B would be most likely an out of scope question whereas the correct one would play with the poverty line overall - i.e. whatver the increase or reshuffle, the poor remain poor


I was almost thrown by this line of reasoning as well, but remember, you are strengthening the conclusion. B, while it doesn't strengthen the conclusion that much, still strengthens it a little bit. Along POE, B it is.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jul 2014
Posts: 91
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: The latest report by the Global Initiative for Poverty Reduction (GIPR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2016, 08:47
1
1
Average income of poor people has increased by 6%

Option (C) Saying the number of people has increased 7.2%

Average income = Total Income / Total people = I/P
If P has become 1.07P then to increase the average by 6% , I has to increase more than 7.2%. what that means is the overall income has increased. That in some way , in a very far fetched tone weakens the argument saying that standard of leaving has boosted

Option (B) says Medicine cost , hence cost has increased by 6% . Now average income also increased by 6% and all excess income is going to be consumed by increased cost. So No gain .
So standard of leaving will remain same. No good luck there. Strengthens it . At least some how !!!!

Hence Answer = B
_________________

The Mind ~ Muscle Connection
My GMAT Journey is Complete.Going to start the MBA in Information Management from 2016
Good Luck everyone.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 May 2017
Posts: 9
Location: United States (AZ)
Concentration: Human Resources
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.8
Re: The latest report by the Global Initiative for Poverty Reduction (GIPR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2017, 11:25
so, the question assumes that increasing in cost does not equal higher quality of services. Thus, any increasing in cost will reduce the consumption power of poor people. I misread the question, and went for D
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Jan 2017
Posts: 31
Re: The latest report by the Global Initiative for Poverty Reduction (GIPR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 02:58
Lets assume that the person was earning 100 of which 10 was going for medicines.
He/She now earns 106 and 10.6 goes for medicines. This still leaves us with 5.4 to increase standard of living. B cannot be the right answer.
I went for A as charitable donations could be variable and this should not be added in the income. Thus the income could still be 100 and thus in the sense of the real world, would have had no significant change.
chetan2u could you please explain this.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7037
Re: The latest report by the Global Initiative for Poverty Reduction (GIPR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 05:05
mehrotrayashraj wrote:
Lets assume that the person was earning 100 of which 10 was going for medicines.
He/She now earns 106 and 10.6 goes for medicines. This still leaves us with 5.4 to increase standard of living. B cannot be the right answer.
I went for A as charitable donations could be variable and this should not be added in the income. Thus the income could still be 100 and thus in the sense of the real world, would have had no significant change.
chetan2u could you please explain this.



Hi,

The Q is of poor quality..
The reason B could be answer is that we ASSUME that the increase in medicine price represents the increase in other things too.
As I mentioned, it seems to be a poor quality Q. And if you see the source has not answered it at all in the post.

A cannot be the answer as you do not know where have those charitable donations gone.
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

CR Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 25 Apr 2018
Posts: 330
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The latest report by the Global Initiative for Poverty Reduction (GIPR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 07:22
1
VERITAS OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

For any strengthen or weaken question, the key is to find the gap and not let the testmakers sell you anything that you don’t want. This argument claims that, although the average income for individuals below the poverty line has increased, average income for individuals living at or above the poverty line has also increased, so standard of living hasn’t increased for the very poor. The gap in this logic comes from trying to draw this conclusion just from the fact that incomes for both groups have increased. It is possible that, barring any rising costs for essential goods and services, everyone is better off. Your correct answer will therefore have some reference to rising prices, addressing this gap.

The only answer choice that includes an increase in cost is (B). If the income of the very poor increased but the cost of an essential good like medicine has also increased by the same amount, then that would strengthen the argument that standard of living hasn’t increased. The very poor can’t buy anything extra with their extra money.

You could also take a look at the others and use process of elimination to confirm your answer. Answer choice (A) doesn’t address costs at all and can be eliminated. Note, however, that unless you took the time to analyze the argument and find the gap that (A) might seem reasonable. While (C) isn’t a good outcome, the number of people living below the poverty line doesn’t affect whether income increases affect standard of living. Answer choices (D) and (E) would weaken the argument. Any decrease or lack of change in cost of living will lead to an increase in standard of living rather than a decrease.
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my posts helpful!

Project CR Butler - 2 CR's everyday

GMAT Club Bot
The latest report by the Global Initiative for Poverty Reduction (GIPR &nbs [#permalink] 01 Nov 2018, 07:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The latest report by the Global Initiative for Poverty Reduction (GIPR

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.