Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Schools:Booth (Admit R2), LBS (Admit R2), Judge (Admit R3)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: MBA
Schools:LBS, LBS, LBS
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink]
Kudos
Ding.
Nice way to greet the day.

Cheers,
Pranay
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:London Business School (int)
 Q50  V41
WE 1: Research
WE 2: Corporate Strat
Send PM
Waitlisted, for the 14 May revision.

Congrats to all the quantjock and the other admits. There seem to be quite a few of us on the waitlist. From bsd_lover's experience, this could turn out to be a long wait. And LBS is pretty much the only school I have.

Any waitlister strategies? :|
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Oxford'11
Send PM
waitlist
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
4test1 wrote:
Waitlisted, for the 14 May revision.

Congrats to all the quantjock and the other admits. There seem to be quite a few of us on the waitlist. From bsd_lover's experience, this could turn out to be a long wait. And LBS is pretty much the only school I have.

Any waitlister strategies? :|

From LBS' reply, it seems that basically, waitlisters, can only wait... ... wait... ... and wait... ...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
you are def not alone! will be crossing fingers for us all R3 applicants till April 9th!

and congratz to all R2 admits..

bbcxd wrote:
mf1125a wrote:

same here! im getting really anxious now....

Thanx for letting me know I am not alone. Guess we just have to leave it for a while. I am going to bed now. Big cong for all admits.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
sorry to hear that, I hope your other school applications go well! Obviously your application was strong enough to get you an interview spot, it does make me wonder why people like yourself, global, have good experience, still got dinged....

any one knows if the school would give people a reason of why they got dinged?

eagleye81200 wrote:
Hi,

I have been following this thread for a long time but didn't want to post anything until I had heard back from the school.

Unfortunately, it is not good news. I got a ding as well.

I thought I had a good profile - 7-8 years work-ex in a top global IT company, lived and worked in 3 different countries, plenty of leadership experience, GMAT just below 700, UG degree from a top 20 business school. I had a very good interview too. Right now, I'm scratching my head thinking what else the school expects. Overall, it has been a great learning process, excruciating at times, but this thread has made it easier in many ways (knowing that there are others in the same boat).

I wish all the successful admits the best, if you've made it through this then you must be truly special. :-)

Thanks again for sharing all your stories.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Schools:London Business School (int)
 Q50  V41
WE 1: Research
WE 2: Corporate Strat
Send PM
The School won't give you a specific reason for a ding. The statement will be along the lines of having to choose from an extensive pool of talented and unique candidates to fill limited seats. Which is probably fair enough as they would otherwise have to give tailored feedback to each and every candidate - an onerous task given that it's a combination of factors that determines the success or failure of the application.

That said, I'm hoping none of us will have any reason to even consider asking for this! From the waitlist to the admit list - a matter of 3 letters and a long wait.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hey Y'all. I am a little surprised by some of the dings. Especially, Snowintx and Pranay. I thought you were shoe-ins. I am fortunate to have been one of the few admitted. My profile is Finance/Entertainment/29/680/3.4 top US school/American
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
octopus2010 wrote:
sorry to hear that, I hope your other school applications go well! Obviously your application was strong enough to get you an interview spot, it does make me wonder why people like yourself, global, have good experience, still got dinged....

any one knows if the school would give people a reason of why they got dinged?

eagleye81200 wrote:
Hi,

I have been following this thread for a long time but didn't want to post anything until I had heard back from the school.

Unfortunately, it is not good news. I got a ding as well.

I thought I had a good profile - 7-8 years work-ex in a top global IT company, lived and worked in 3 different countries, plenty of leadership experience, GMAT just below 700, UG degree from a top 20 business school. I had a very good interview too. Right now, I'm scratching my head thinking what else the school expects. Overall, it has been a great learning process, excruciating at times, but this thread has made it easier in many ways (knowing that there are others in the same boat).

I wish all the successful admits the best, if you've made it through this then you must be truly special. :-)

Thanks again for sharing all your stories.

Yeah, I think that's what's frustrating about the whole process - you have to make intelligent guesses about what went wrong, but as I said before I thought I had a strong application - at the very least I know that I gave it my best shot. I was counting on LBS, but I think I'm done for the year...considering what I should do next. The only thing I can think of for now is to reapply next year along with some fresh apps to other schools.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [2]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Kudos
hi all I have received several requests for advice on how to get off waitlist. I am really sorry for those who didn't make it. Often admissions decisions often boils down luck and factors beyond our own control (like the existing class build up). Due to time constraints I wont be able to post in detail but here are some older posts that may help those of you on waitlist.

the-london-business-school-2010-thread-78838-380.html#p663720

the-london-business-school-2009-thread-70701-480.html#p583901

how-leverandon-is-going-to-get-off-of-the-waitlist-at-darden-75302.html#p566150

the-london-business-school-2009-thread-70701-220.html#p557838

A search on keywords waitlist by bsd_lover may yield more entries but the general advice is consistent (I think). One additional request: Dont give up - the reward is well worth it !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Oxford'11
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
hi all I have received several requests for advice on how to get off waitlist. I am really sorry for those who didn't make it. Often admissions decisions often boils down luck and factors beyond our own control (like the existing class build up). Due to time constraints I wont be able to post in detail but here are some older posts that may help those of you on waitlist.

the-london-business-school-2010-thread-78838-380.html#p663720

the-london-business-school-2009-thread-70701-480.html#p583901

how-leverandon-is-going-to-get-off-of-the-waitlist-at-darden-75302.html#p566150

the-london-business-school-2009-thread-70701-220.html#p557838

A search on keywords waitlist by bsd_lover may yield more entries but the general advice is consistent (I think). One additional request: Dont give up - the reward is well worth it !!

Bsd_lover, thank you! I will surely follow your advices and will hope for an late admit! :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Have been silently following the thread for past several months. Thank you guys for all the insights, advice and support!

Received an admit yesterday – my first admit this season!

One thing in the email I received bugs me a little bit – it says that I need to immediately email the adcom of my willingness to accept the offer. Did other admits receive such thing? How urgent is that? I’m still waiting for decisions from other schools and want to examine all my choices before making this decision (although LBS is on top of the list).

Thanks for your advice.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just googled for some W/L stats at LBS, and the ratio of admit/waitlisted appears to be 1/4. BW mentions 2004/05 had 166 candidates on W/L of which 41 were admitted. https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/04 ... london.htm

Of course, the variance will be quite significant.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Concentration: Corporate Finance
Send PM
Kudos
now that the fortunate admits deal with their hangovers and the disheartened dings/WL move to their other plans, i want to thank all the regular contributors to this thread - a great resource and record of our experiences for future applicants.

on a separate note, is there any London business School WL thread? (can't find any) - maybe i should search for "LBS purgatory" or "you're-excellent-but-not-TOOOOO-excellent-for-me" or "i'll-date-you-later-in-case-others-dump-me" threads.

jokes aside, congrats to all and good luck in your mba endeavor
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Corporate Finance
Send PM
i would question these stats, especially given the date (application competitiveness was lower) and the source (well yes, it's BW). Based on the posts i read over the past months, i can comfortably speculate that the numbers, unfortunately, do not look that good.

crux wrote:
Just googled for some W/L stats at LBS, and the ratio of admit/waitlisted appears to be 1/4. BW mentions 2004/05 had 166 candidates on W/L of which 41 were admitted. https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/04 ... london.htm

Of course, the variance will be quite significant.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
lol "i'll-date-you-later-in-case-others-dump-me" threads

good luck to you!

Frontline wrote:
now that the fortunate admits deal with their hangovers and the disheartened dings/WL move to their other plans, i want to thank all the regular contributors to this thread - a great resource and record of our experiences for future applicants.

on a separate note, is there any London business School WL thread? (can't find any) - maybe i should search for "LBS purgatory" or "you're-excellent-but-not-TOOOOO-excellent-for-me" or "i'll-date-you-later-in-case-others-dump-me" threads.

jokes aside, congrats to all and good luck in your mba endeavor
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General MBA
 Q49  V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
JoeMa, Thank you for the compliment. :)

To be honest, I could've put more work into my essays and I messed on a work question in my interview. My work experience is short and unexciting, plus I could be doing more EC's.

On the other side, I have an unusual profile (female, Russian, work in wholesale food industry, very good education), which is probably what got me the interview invite to begin with.

I think that work experience is really important for LBS - thus the higher average age of the applicants. If my remaining school (UT) doesn't work out, I'm sure I'll reapply. And here I have to give a shout-out to the amazing bsd_lover who not only has given inordinate amount of time and effort to this forum (even after leaving the applicant stage!) but also spearheaded the great Zero Admits Club thread (the-2008-zero-admits-club-62142.html), thus giving us hope that things do work out when we don't give up and strive to do better.

I never participated in the GMAT part of GmatClub because I didn't know it existed back then. However, I think our results once again clearly show that a decent GMAT score is all you need to get seriously considered by good schools, and a very good score alone won't get you in.

Congratulations to all the admits! You won a tough battle. Secretly, I wish that LBS' FT #1 rating had waited another year - I'm sure there would've been less competition in the 2nd round. :lol:

JoeMa wrote:
Hey Y'all. I am a little surprised by some of the dings. Especially, Snowintx and Pranay. I thought you were shoe-ins. I am fortunate to have been one of the few admitted. My profile is Finance/Entertainment/29/680/3.4 top US school/American
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  53   54   55   56   57   58   59  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts